This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB Winter 2015 Season

Reichlin was the good fairy during the last revival of Harlequinade, while she was a soloist.

It seems like Erica is benefiting from Megan Fairchild's absence. Russian girl in Serenade and the lead in Square Dance used to be Megan's roles.

I remember reading in the NY Times a few months ago that Megan expected to return for one week during the Winter Season. Obviously that didn't happen. I wonder if the original plan was to have her dance Columbine with Veyette during the final week of the season. I believe Fairchild did the Columbine role during the last revival of Harlequinade, if my memory is correct.

Tonight was the second in the Art Series nights. Before I get to the ballets I would just like to remark on Dustin Yellin, the artist NYCB is featuring. He is an artist I'm guessing most people would not have heard of, were it not for NYCB displaying his work. Both nights he has seemed kind of hyperactive, working the crowd in the auditorium and outside. The first night, I heard from friends that so many people were chatting, many simply skipped Agon. Tonight I sat 2 rows behind Dustin. He didn't make it into the auditorium after the first intermission for Tarantella. When he did come in (for Interplay), his female companion had to literally pull him into his seat. IMO, disrespectful and unacceptable. If the cogmpany is featuring you, the least you can do is watch their ballets. If you don't care, neither will your friends and then what's the point of the $29 tickets (they're supposed to bring in a new audience). Next time, Peter should pick a more deserving artist.

On to the ballets. First up was Martins' Hallelujah Junction. Another forgettable Martins ballet but it was enlivened by stellar performances from the 3 leads: Lovette, Garcia and especially Ulbricht. Danny had an especially bravura solo in the middle, full of difficult jumps, triple tours, multiple pirouettes, and beats. I went to applaud but the rest of the audience was silent. Lauren was lovely and lyrical and well partnered by Gonzalo. I have to admit I was half counting the number of times Lauren draped her back over Gonzalo's neck (a la R&J). Luckily, it's not a long piece but ended, despite the great performances, with minimal applause.

Next up was Tarantella. I have to admit I've only seen this with virtuoso dancers: Ashley, Joaquin, Tiler to name a few. That's hard to live up to. However, I think they could have cast some capable and deserving soloists like Brittany Pollack or Lauren King. Instead, they picked one of the newest (and certainly the tiniest) female corps lead in Claire von Enck. The male lead was Spartak Hoxha. I hate to be mean but I thought Claire was terrible; underpowered, no jump, no energy and worst, no personality or stage presence. Just so very bland. Her dancing was very tentative and lacked confidence. (Her turns were ok but very careful) For a small dancer that's especially bad; what they lack in physical presence, thet should make up in personality. I'm sure she will improve but when and how much were big questions in my mind. She looked like she barely made it through the piece. Not good. Spartak was better (certainly better jumps) but not especially appealing. Next time I want to see this piece with a higher caliber of dancer. Yet they got a far more enthusiastic response from the audience than Danny in Hallelujah Junction.

Next up, Robbins' Interplay. A candy colored, semi jazzy piece for 4 men and 4 women. I thought it looked very under rehearsed and not very well performed by anyone except Harrison Ball. Everyone looked kind of sloppy in their jumps and poses. Even the always elegant Devin Alberda (who I love and who led the first section), lacked the crisp cleanness he always brings to his roles. In the final section, both Harrison Coll and Peter Walker do a series of very fast multiple tours. Harrison nearly ended up on the floor and Peter wasn't that much better. The women (Meagan Mann, Sarah Villwock, Lydia Wellington and especially Britanny Pollack) had a better time of it. But I've seen everyone here dance beautifully, so I'm chalking this one up to not enough rehearsing. Again, it got good audience response.

Finally, Glass Pieces. This is also candy colored Robbins (referring to the lifesaver colored costumes) but with a minimalist feel. A lot of the ballet involves ordinary movement like just walking or jogging. I really like the Philip Glass music and like that the movement seems to take its cue from the music. For example, the opening has the whole cast walking across the stage each person on his or her own path. Occasionally they will meet a member of the opposite sex and stop to dance briefly together.In later sections of the piece, we will see only the corps members' silhouettes (2nd section) or in patterns (3rd). I thought Amar and Rebecca Krohn (now back from what ailed her earlier in the season) did a great job in the minimalist 2nd section PDD, which is set against a backdrop of the female dancers' silhouettes all in one line making their way slowly against the upstage wall. In the 3rd section we get a blast of high strutting male energy first, followed by a group of women dancing slighlyt more lyrical women's steps (pique turns). Joseph Gordon really stood out for me in the male section as being so strong and musical. There are are a lot of patterns in this section. The corps breaks up into lines, circles, then other types of groupings. I think these pair ups or the formation of diiferent groups, whether male/female or simply into different patterns gives the ballet its "postmodern) feel rather successfully. i don't think Glass a Pieces is a "great" ballet but Is certainly a very enjoyable one. The audience seemed to really like this piece and it got a lot of cheers and bravos.

For me this was not so successful a night at NYCB. I hope for the company, it was better than that.

Eileen and cobweb, both of you are very generous and kind. Had I seen sz's excellent review of the 2/17/2015 performance (which somehow was posted after mine) beforehand, I would not have written my own. As a complete outsider to the world of ballet who has trouble describing clearly what he sees taking place onstage, I realize as soon as I try to write anything in this forum that I'm getting way in over my head. However, an outsider's perspective can sometimes be very significant, as well as amusing. I cite as a case in point Jerome Robbins' "The Goldberg Variations". Given the differing opinions about that ballet, I felt that it was important for me to express my appreciation of the work and the way NYCB performed it. So whenever I feel that something needs to be said I'll chime in.

Royal Blue, you're not in over your head. While I'm not one of the moderators on this board, I feel pretty confident in saying that it's not for advanced balletgoers only! My feeling is that the more voices we have, the more interesting the conversation. Also, by the way, from your comments I didn't get the feeling you were a "complete outsider to the world of ballet" at all. I for one look forward to hearing more of your thoughts.

Next up was Tarantella. I have to admit I've only seen this with virtuoso dancers: Ashley, Joaquin, Tiler to name a few. That's hard to live up to. However, I think they could have cast some capable and deserving soloists like Brittany Pollack or Lauren King. Instead, they picked one of the newest (and certainly the tiniest) female corps lead in Claire von Enck. The male lead was Spartak Hoxha. I hate to be mean but I thought Claire was terrible; underpowered, no jump, no energy and worst, no personality or stage presence. Just so very bland. Her dancing was very tentative and lacked confidence. (Her turns were ok but very careful) For a small dancer that's especially bad; what they lack in physical presence, thet should make up in personality. I'm sure she will improve but when and how much were big questions in my mind. She looked like she barely made it through the piece. Not good. Spartak was better (certainly better jumps) but not especially appealing. Next time I want to see this piece with a higher caliber of dancer.

Thank you for your detailed report Amour. I found your comments on Claire von Enck interesting. When I saw that she was cast in Tarantella I wasn't totally surprised. I always notice von Enck in corps parts because she is something of a tiger in her attach and enthusiasm. It seems that got lost when she was given the spotlight (nerves or whatever). She has a couple of more opportunities to shine this season, let's hope she's able to seize the moment.

Thank you, amour, for your wonderful blow-by-blow account of last night's performance. Your description of Glass Pieces reminded me of how much I love this ballet. Between the music, dance patterns, and lighting, it's perfect. I bought the music after I saw it the first time and love listening to it. Too bad the winter season is coming to an end--I have enjoyed all the commentary from posters to this site.

I guess I am in the minority here, but I was at the Lovette/Finlay debut of R&J on Saturday afternoon and I loved the ballet. They were young, spirited, playful, and both danced superbly. They are born naturals for the roles. Lauren was joyful and delicate, and displayed a wonderful range of emotions. She was exquisitely limp during the death scene. And Chase was fresh, clean, handsome, young, charismatic …who wouldn’t want to marry him? They both broke my heart. The balcony scene and the final scenes were very touching, and I felt myself welling up with tears both times. I always say, that if I don’t cry during R&J, then it wasn’t a good performance.

Mercutio (Harrison Ball) and Benvolio (Harrison Coll) were both rousing and fun to watch. Tybalt (Villarini-Velez) looked the role and danced well, however I’ve seen more menacing Tybalt’s. As always, Martins always incorporates some SAB students into his full length ballets. The SAB students (about 5 or 6 boys) danced in the mandolin dance. All were terrific, and the youngest (maybe 7 years old?) stole the show! Krohn and la Cour were a credible Lady/Lord Capulet. And boy did Ask look mean when he slapped Juliet! Gwyneth Muller, who is very good at character roles, did a very fine job as the nurse. Some of it is played for laughs with her falling over and another scene with the boys tossing her about. Russell Janzen did well as Paris. I thought he showed some reasonable annoyance with Juliet, which rarely comes through in this role.

I am hardly new to this ballet. I’ve seen MacMillan’s version countless times with ABT, as well as with the Royal Ballet. I’ve also seen Grigorovich's version with the Bolshoi. MacMillan’s version of R&J will probably always be my favorite, however I think Martins production is a very nice addition to the ballet world. There is always room for one more! I had actually considered trading in our tickets because of the negative reviews on here combined with bad weather. I’m so glad that I didn’t! Unfortunately the weather was awful and it wasn’t much fun walking across the messy plaza and slippery subway steps on the way home.

After one becomes familiar with MacMillan's version of Romeo and Juliet, the choreography for the balcony scene --one of the greatest in all of ballet-- becomes so intertwined in one's mind with the powerful music that one starts wondering whether Prokofiev also did the choreography for this or MacMillan also composed the music. Martins' treatment of the same material is incomparably poorer.

Brief R&J note. Though I dislike the production, I also thought Lovette and Finlay were excellent. Maybe it's because they are dating, but their great chemistry made a huge difference here. They perfectly embodied their characters. An excellent performance, especially from Lovette. Finlay needed to work out a few partnering issues, but it was still a quite wonderful first performance.

I also saw the evenign performance with Tiler Peck and Z. Catazaro. It was well danced, and Peck is very musical. She was a more sophisticated and worldly Juliet than Lovette. However, there was no partiuclar chemistry between the two leads that made this memorable or heart breaking.

It has been said - nothing is perfect --but some things are. Martins R&J is perfectly awful.......I haven't seen it since it was broadcast in 2007 and I will never understand why it

is still shown. What an embarassment -- the dancers deserve a lot better. It is hard to truly criticize any performance given what the choreography is. I don't know which upset me more---

the Kirkeby scenery (and as it has been put, the 'cheesy' costumes of Nielsen) or the empty choreography. I can't believe what Martins did to the Ballroom scene---all those dancers

just standing around in two long lines---'do something' I felt like shouting.---and the little kiddies with the mandolins would have been more at home in 'The Nutcracker'. I saw Lovette and

Taylor Stanley (in place of the injured Finlay.) They are both beautiful dancers and I enjoy seeing them, but the emotional content simply is not there. While watching this fiasco, I

couldn't help thinking that Martin has been in charge of NYCB as long as Balanchine. Go figure!innocent.gif

abatt - I also saw a slight partnering issue, especially a kind of wobble with Chase’s knee when he was balancing Lauren during the balcony scene. Like you, I believe any issues can be worked on.

I am sorry to hear that the chemistry just wasn’t there with Peck/Catazaro. Like you, I often see multiple casts of the same ballet in the same day or week. Sometimes the ballets are barely recognizable from one cast to another. And of course the dancers and their chemistry, or lack of it, can make or break a performance. Years ago I remember going to see a Ferri/Bocca performance of R&J at the matinee and then meeting my family in the evening for a really awful R&J cast that was part of our family subscription. My Dad’s girlfriend said to me, “why on earth would you want to see the same ballet twice in one day, what’s the difference?” What’s the difference????? She liked ballet, but could just not see the dissimilarity between a Cast A and Cast D! I tried to explain, but got nowhere. I finally gave up and decided that if she asked the question, then she would not be able to understand the answer.

ATM711 - Was this the Sunday matinee performance? I am so sorry to hear that Chase was injured. Let’s hope it is nothing serious.

Does anyone have any news on Veyette’s injury?

I think the chemistry issue makes an especially big difference in a full length romantic tragedy like R&J. It must have been very difficult for Lovette and Stanley on Sunday afternoon because I doubt they had much if any rehearsal time together. Chase did not appear to have any injuries throughout the Saturday matinee.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the Lovette/Finlay R&J abatt. That's really too bad about Chase's injury though. Since he's come back from his from his foot injury he hasn't seemed as strong a dancer. If he is seriously injured we could have Robbie, Andie and Chase out for Spring:( That really leaves a big gap for the men. I predict Huxley and Stanley will get more and more roles. But La Sylphide! I was pegging Andie to do at least a few of those. I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

Just a brief note on tonight's performance of Square Dance (same program and cast as last Wednesday). Ashley was her wonderful self but Anthony Huxley was AMAZING!!! His jumps were all very high and energetic, his batterie fast and clean, he had attack, deep backbends and he covers a lot of space. As I've noted before he's very musical so his solo is always wonderful. What seemed different tonight was a sense of newfound confidence (you could see it in the proud upper carriage of his upper body). Also the partnering seemed more comfortable; he lifted Ashley high and she looked like she was ok with him touching her. As great as Ashley is, I think Anthony actually outdanced her tonight (pretty tough to do). If he isn't principal material than I don't know who is.

Again Harlequinade is just not a ballet I enjoy so I left at the 2nd intermission. Too little dancing from Tiler and Danny. I love Joaquin but not the choreography; it is pretty forgettable. I love that it uses so many SAB kids but on this 2nd go around I don't feel I need to see them.

Though I paid a steep price for essentially only 1 ballet it was worth it.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the Lovette/Finlay R&J abatt. That's really too bad about Chase's injury though. Since he's come back from his from his foot injury he hasn't seemed as strong a dancer. If he is seriously injured we could have Robbie, Andie and Chase out for Spring:( That really leaves a big gap for the men. I predict Huxley and Stanley will get more and more roles. But La Sylphide! I was pegging Andie to do at least a few of those. I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

I'd also like to see Joseph Gordon get a few more things. He's been quite impressive this Season.

I'd like to see Russell Janzen try Apollo next season. I hope they give him the role.

As for the potential casts of Sylphide, all the casts don't necessarily have to have tall men. I could see a short man in the role. Huxley? Since Bournonville Divert. is on the same program, maybe Huxley will star in that ballet instead.

I hope Ashly Isaacs can return during the spring season. She is a very exciting dancer.

If anyone saw Erica Pereira in Square Dance I would love a report. I wasn't sure she could convey the intensity and joy of this piece. I'd also enjoy any report on Isabella LaFreniere as the Good Fairy in Harlequinade.

Tonight's performance of Chaconne w Sara Mearns and Russell Janzen was one of those performances that's good for the soul. So many great dancers. Thanks NYCB!

I thought Pereira made a very creditable debut, getting stronger as the ballet went on. Very clean footwork and much better integration of her upper and lower body than we've seen in previous seasons. I noticed it in her performance in Serenade as well. I didn't think Stanley was an ideal partner for her, their proportions don't look good together, her slightness makes him seem heavy to me.

I also want to commend Bouder for a soft, beautiful and virtuoso performance in Harlequinade. It was so lovely.

Thanks for the report, liebs. I'm glad to hear Pereira did well. It's interesting what you say about the Pereira-Stanley pairing, because I thought Bouder and Huxley were mismatched also, body-type-wise as well as temperament-wise. For spring I hope they put Bouder with Stanley and Pereira with Huxley. Oh, and I'd like to see Abi Stafford return to the role.