volcanohunter

Ratmansky's Paquita

62 posts in this topic

This background video from the Bavarian State Opera includes quite a bit of performance footage.

Oi! Those El Cheapo sets and acid-toned polyester gypsy dresses!

Is there a good guide somewhere to some of the less frequently performed mime? Less frequently in the last 50 years that is. Everything I have found online shows the basics from any standard Swan Lake/ Giselle ca 1970 -- I don't need to learn the gesture for let's dance or I am royalty -- but when I see things like this video I realize there are a number of gestures I where I am forced back on guesswork.

A more detailed mime explanation for "Giselle" is from the 2011 PNB production, based on the notes from Justament:

Unfortunately the printed guide (.pdf) link now comes up as "Page not found." That had more mime than appears in the daisy scene in "Giselle."

The RAD released this video (Mime Matters) in 2002 -- I've seen parts of it, but not the entire thing. Unfortunately (for me), it seems to only be available in PAL.

From the description on the British Universities Film and Video Council website:

"Demonstrations of mime sequences from classic ballets (Le Carnaval, Coppélia, Sleeping Beauty and Swan Lake) by a cast including Deanne Bergsma, David Bintley, Alina Cojocaru, Anthony Dowell, Luke Heydon, Johan Kobborg, Monica Mason, Antoinette Sibley and Sarah Wildor.

The demonstrations are interspersed with discussions between some of the participants and Clement Crisp, Pamela May and Sir Peter Wright about the importance of mime, and followed by a long sequence in which Barbara Fewster, Monica Mason and Pamela May demonstrate mime gestures and explain their meanings."

The RAD released this video (Mime Matters) in 2002 -- I've seen parts of it, but not the entire thing. Unfortunately (for me), it seems to only be available in PAL.

From the description on the British Universities Film and Video Council website:

"Demonstrations of mime sequences from classic ballets (Le Carnaval, Coppélia, Sleeping Beauty and Swan Lake) by a cast including Deanne Bergsma, David Bintley, Alina Cojocaru, Anthony Dowell, Luke Heydon, Johan Kobborg, Monica Mason, Antoinette Sibley and Sarah Wildor.

The demonstrations are interspersed with discussions between some of the participants and Clement Crisp, Pamela May and Sir Peter Wright about the importance of mime, and followed by a long sequence in which Barbara Fewster, Monica Mason and Pamela May demonstrate mime gestures and explain their meanings."

I have that video, and interestingly, I can play it on a portable DVD player though not on my TV or computer.

Mime Matters DVD was also released in Japan in NTSC format but I think this is region code 2. Unfortunately it is no longer available here but I have a copy.

It is indeed very, very interesting and gives us a good deal of knowledge.

I have that video, and interestingly, I can play it on a portable DVD player though not on my TV or computer.

The ways of video are mysterious and strange

I don't know what the RAD, which is a huge international organization, was thinking when they released this in a format that isn't viewable in the whole world. And furthermore they didn't even label it as PAL only so it was only after I bought it and brought it home from London that I discovered I couldn't watch it. I was mightily teed off and complained to RAD but nary a response did I get.

I don't know what the RAD, which is a huge international organization, was thinking when they released this in a format that isn't viewable in the whole world. And furthermore they didn't even label it as PAL only so it was only after I bought it and brought it home from London that I discovered I couldn't watch it. I was mightily teed off and complained to RAD but nary a response did I get.

They are a UK-centric organization, that has been working to monitize what they have, but they don't do a very good job of reaching out to a larger audience. I get promotions for most dance publications around, but never for the RAD magazine.

Kbarber, it's been a long time, but I have this vague memory of being told once that an easy way to deal with PAL was to playback the DVD on a computer rather than to a TV. I don't think I've ever had a PAL DVD to test out this solution. Do you knowif it is a myth?

[edited later to add: My spologies, I joined this discussion late and did not see the earlier post about the DVD not playing back on computer]

My old Mac had a function where you could choose what region you wanted to set it to, but you could only change it a couple of times before it locked on one. I don't know if that works on my newer Mac.