This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"Every so often I get an anxious feeling and would like to produce that bombed-out effect of modern painting. Maybe my form is too closed. I feel a certain desire for exploding a picture the way some artists do. Can you explode a painting realistically? I dont know."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/11/arts/jane-freilicher-an-outsider-in-era-of-abstract-expressionism-dies-at-90.html?ref=arts&_r=0

She was married to former dancer Joseph Hazan.

http://thevillager.com/2012/11/21/joseph-hazan-96-artist-whose-building-abutted-radicals-blast/

Thank you for posting this, Quiggin. I had not seen the Times obit yet and didn't know she had died. I first learned of Freilicher by reading O'Hara - as you probably know, she's the "Jane" in the Jane poems. Another link to a great era in the New York arts world gone.

Thank you for posting this, Quiggin. I had not seen the Times obit yet and didn't know she had died. I first learned of Freilicher by reading O'Hara - as you probably know, she's the "Jane" in the Jane poems. Another link to a great era in the New York arts world gone.

No kidding? I didn't know that. Try as I have, his work has never been much to may taste, but that enriches those poems at least. Yes, thanks Quiggin.

The Times has a piece on a 90th birthday celebration turned memorial for Freilicher: Generosity of Everyday Surrealism

a long-planned 90th birthday celebration on Friday night, organized by the Poetry Project at St. Mark’s Church in the East Village and called “Presenting Jane,” was a fond affair. Old friends — the poet John Ashbery, who had known her for half a century, the painter Alex Katz, whom she introduced to the New York art world — spoke of her and her work with love. New, young admirers read poems in her honor, including several dedicated to her by Frank O’Hara. After the literary fare came dessert in the form of two brief, madcap 1950s art-world films in which she starred.