20 replies to this topic

#1 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 21 June 2000 - 04:10 AM

I'm considering going to Edingurgh around August 18, in order to see the NYCB at the Edinburgh Festival. They will perform at the Edinburgh Playhouse. Is anyone familiar with this theater? Is it a big theater? There are many categories of seats (circle, stalls, front balcony, back balcony), and I have no idea which ones are decent ones.

Also, is there any available information about the casts?

(The site of the Edinburgh Festival is at [url="http://"http://www.eif.co.uk/"]http://www.eif.co.uk/[/url] ).

#2 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 21 June 2000 - 08:27 AM

Good questions, Estelle, and I hope some of our English posters can answer. I'm going to move this to News, Views because I think more people will see it there (and there may be general interest, even among people who won't be able to go, what the programs and the casts are).

#3 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 21 June 2000 - 10:15 AM

Here are the programs (as listed on the web site):

Program 1 (Aug 14, 17, 19 matinee):
Agon, Dances at a Gathering, Symphony in C

Program 2 (Aug 15, 18):
Concerto Barocco, Duo Concertant, The 4 Temperaments, Symphony in 3 movements

Program 3 (Aug 16, 19):
Serenade, Fearful Symmetries, Tchaikovsky pas de deux, Western Symphony

#4 eugene

eugene

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 June 2000 - 08:46 AM

The theatre is huge! It has the biggest stage in Britain.

#5 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 22 June 2000 - 09:25 AM

Thanks for replying, Eugene. What do you think of the various categories of seats?

Also I've just found an old thread on ballet.co.uk dealilng with this topic, it's at: [url="http://"http://www.danze.co.uk/dcforum/news/373.html"]http://www.danze.co.uk/dcforum/news/373.html[/url]

#6 Michael

Michael

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 22 June 2000 - 10:25 AM

All three programs are well worth seeing - the programming is extremely good, weighted heavily towards Balanchine, and towards Mr. B's more classical-looking incarnation at that, although you've also got Agon and the 4 Temperaments. The Robbins Ballet, Dances at a Gathering, is also very beautiful, try to sit close up if you can for that one. You could choose any of these three programs and not go wrong. It would be rare for them to pack an evening with three or four such meaty pieces in NY. They are really putting themselves out for this. I wish I could go.

#7 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 22 June 2000 - 10:47 AM

Well, I really hope to be able all three programs (one on Aug 18 and two on Aug 19, if possible).
I've already seen some of these pieces at the Paris Opera
(Agon, The 4 Temperaments, Serenade, Concerto Barocco, Palais de Cristal), and loved them very much, but they don't dance it often ("Symphony in 3 movements" and "Dances at a gathering" are in their repertory too, but they haven't danced
it in a while). All that sounds very exciting! Now I hope that it's still possible to find not too expensive hotels in Edinburgh for that period, the city must be quite crowded with such
a big festival...

#8 Alymer

Alymer

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 23 June 2000 - 12:59 PM

Hotels in Edinburgh during the Festival can be a real problem Estelle, but the French Ibis chain has a hotel located quite conveniently for the Playhouse and you should be able to book that quite easily from Marseille. It's also quite reasonably priced as Edinburgh hotels go, but you will need to move fairly quickly.
Although the stage at the Playhouse is big,I'm surprised to learn that it is the biggest stage in Britain, but I bow to Eugene's superior knowledge.
Anyway, my impression after several visits is that the sightlines in the theatre are generally quite good, so getting a reasonable view shouldn't be too difficult. I seem to recall the balcony is pretty good. But back balcony would be quite some way from the stage. Circle is excellent if you can manage it. Anyway, I hope you enjoy both NYCB and the city.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Alymer (edited June 23, 2000).]

#9 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 26 June 2000 - 05:39 AM

Thanks for the information, Alymer! However, I tried to have a look at the Ibis hotels
web site, and it seems that it's already full on those nights.
By the way, two things are missing on the Festival web site: a plan of the theaters (to know where the categories of seats are), and also a city map...
Actually I've already been to Edinburgh once, for one week in August 1998, for a math conference- the weather was absolutely awful (even my thesis supervisor, who is from Glasgow, agreed),
but the city really looked nice.

#10 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 27 June 2000 - 08:57 AM

Well, everything is OK: I've just booked some tickets for the performances of Aug 17, 18,
and 19 matinee (front balcony seats) (and we'll be staying at a youth hostel Posted Image ).

Thanks to all of you for your help. If some Ballet Talkers plan to attend these performances, I'd be glad to meet them!

#11 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 12 July 2000 - 08:42 AM

This is just a note to bump this thread, and to say again that if any poster of this site plans to go there, my boyfriend and I would be happy to meet him/her.

#12 Ann

Ann

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 July 2000 - 12:37 PM

Estelle

I'm going to be there for the performance on 18 Aug. and two performances on 19 Aug. Could you e-mail me?

#13 Guest_Barb_*

Guest_Barb_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 13 July 2000 - 11:21 PM

It's a lovely theatre...and the whole town is just plain exciting (and crowded!) during the festival. I had a ball. My one regret was that we didn't have more time to experience it while we were working there. I did sneak out one night of the load-in to listen to the Tattoo (See that - or hear it, if you can). We were staying in dorms at the university, which was a fair piece from a lot of the activity. But it was overwhelming the option of things to watch! If only we could have! The only show I did see (Nutcracker being somewhat short, we were out good season one evening) was HypnoDog. A black lab who hypnotized people at the pub across from the university. I hope to return someday as a spectator! I'm envious!

[This message has been edited by Barb (edited July 14, 2000).]

#14 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 23 July 2000 - 03:07 PM

Ann, sorry to reply so late, but I was on vacation, far from computers. I'd like to email you, but what is your email address? (It's not displayed).

#15 Ann

Ann

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 July 2000 - 08:53 AM

Estelle

Sorry - I thought my e-mail address was up. It is Ann@sweetpea.screaming.net. Hope to hear from you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):