This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Misty Copeland

Helene

That's what I mean, Vipa. I happen to love Copeland's dancing in the classics and somewhat in neo-classics, so I'd welcome her promotion. However, I also admire Abrera's musicality and Lane's neatness. All so different but all worthy of dancing multiple leading roles. I honestly believe that all three will be promoted this year...three female principals leaving/three coming.

Once they are promoted, hopefully all three will be ACTIVE principals and not UNDERUTILIZED ones like Part.

I am not a fan of Copeland's but am a fan of Lane and Abrera. If Lane and Abrera didn't exist I still wouldn't be a Copeland fan or think she was principal caliber. I don't expect Lane or Abrera to be promoted. Abrera's time, it would seem, has passed and Lane's casting suggests she will do the few principal roles she's been doing and that's it. I find it regrettable that these 2 talented artists haven't been fully recognized by the AD.

I, too, am a fan of Lane and Abrera. I think Misty is fine in contemporary roles but definitely not classical ones. I am pretty sure Abrera will be passed over for promotion ( she's been a soloist for about 15 years). I also think Sarah will be passed over. IMO, both dancers should leave for greener pastures after this year. In any case, the performances I saw from Boylston and Hee Seo on Monday were definitely not worthy of the title principal. I thought, promoting Copeland? So what. ABT is at its lowest point I've ever seen it. Good dancers should jump ship now.

I, too, am a fan of Lane and Abrera. I think Misty is fine in contemporary roles but definitely not classical ones. I am pretty sure Abrera will be passed over for promotion ( she's been a soloist for about 15 years). I also think Sarah will be passed over. IMO, both dancers should leave for greener pastures after this year. In any case, the performances I saw from Boylston and Hee Seo on Monday were definitely not worthy of the title principal. I thought, promoting Copeland? So what. ABT is at its lowest point I've ever seen it. Good dancers should jump ship now.

Interesting Amour. I agree that Misty is fine in contemporary roles. KM is casting her in everything from Rodeo to Swan Lake, yet he seems to pigeon hole other dancers. It's almost as if he's trying to prove she can do anything and everything so he can promote her. I agree ABT is at a low point.

Everyone here knows that there have been divided opinions about various dancers over the years, resulting in heated discussions. However, the controversy about Misty (now on pg 52 of this thread!) is stirred up again every time Misty does another interview. I was happy that this thread was quiet for about a week, but that quiet was once again broken when the 60 Minutes interview hit. By constantly stirring the pot through her media campaign, her own behavior is repeatedly stirring up the controversy. Yes, it is curious that McKenzie is suddenly casting her in everything from soup to nuts this season. If it moves tickets, that's probably the only thing they care about now at ABT. Given her busy public speaking agenda, it's a wonder she has time to perform. By the way, she was replaced in last night's T&V in a demi-soloist role. No announcement or slip of paper. I believe her replacement was Williams.

Doing publicity isn't "stirring the pot." It's doing publicity. Is Leonardo di Caprio "stirring the pot" every time he appears out of his environmental-friendly-whale-saving life mission to sit down on late night to promote his latest movie? Is Gwyneth Paltrow "stirring the pot" when she also burrows out of her gluten-free-vegan-macrobiotic life mission to discuss her latest movie projects? Misty's season is now, and of course the media is calling, and she's doing publicity.

And while we're on it, is Elizabeth Smart stirring the pot whenever she appears on TV when a child is abducted to talk about her experiences and how families can cope? Is Ruth Bader Ginsberg stirring the pot when she talks frankly about how she disagrees with the Roberts' court majority decisions?

This amount of vitriol directed at a dancer for ... uh, well, dancing, is reminding me of The Lottery.

I have closed this thread, because at 53 pages, it's passed its natural life span. The new thread is here:

http://balletalert.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/40130-misty-copeland-part-deux/

The quote function isn't an option on closed threads. If you want to quote someone from this thread, please copy and paste the text into the new thread with the original poster's name and the post number.

Just a few reminders:

1. No one is forcing anyone to read any thread.

2. No one is forcing anyone to respond to any thread.

3. No one is forcing anyone to repeat the same opinion or make the same point that they've made in this or any other thread.

Participation is voluntary. If the subject doesn't interest you, you have the option to ignore it.