This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Has anyone seen the Broadway musical Pippin? In particular, I've heard that there is a significant difference between the professional edition and the edition that is licensed to amateur groups, with the amateur version having all the "edgey" stuff removed. The graduate intern has invited me to accompany her and her husband to a local amateur theater production of Pippin. Given my historical dislike of award-winning Broadway musicals (I found Hairspray and The Light in the Piazza absolutely agonizing to sit through), I'm worried that I will be totally bored, especially if this is a watered-down version (and I will regret missing a chamber orchestra concert that will include Bartok's Divertimento for Strings).

Well, sorry to say, I find Pippin to be inherently weaker in material than either Hairspray or Light in the Piazza. Most of what's memorable about the original production is Fosse's fantastic staging and Ben Vereen's performance as the Leading Player (both of which are preserved in the video capture of the original tour).

As I remember, Pippin started as a student piece which Stephen Schwartz began writing while still at Carnegie-Mellon. If you take out Fosse's staging and the standout performances, the work itself is very slight. (The original cast really was excellent, though. The original ensemble included such exceptional dancers as Anne Reinking, Jennifer Naim-Smith, Cheryl Clark and others.)

I haven't seen the general licensed version in a while, but I would imagine it takes out parts like the orgy scene. But I really don't think that those add that much meat to the bones in any case. I do have to say, I think the alternate version that's generally licensed now is an improvement though.

Here's the original Fosse staged opening:

The new production by Diane Paulus has been very well received, no mean accomplishment since Fosse's staging was generally regarded as the basis of the original's success. The work itself is certainly no masterpiece, but it has a certain winsome charm.

I saw The LIght in the Piazza on television, YouOverThere. Absolute chloroform, I am sorry to say (with all due respect, sidwich). Please, oh please, take me to the circus......

I saw the current Broadway production (directed by Paulus) when it first opened on Broadway (2012, I guess). Most of the original cast that won Tony Awards are gone (Patina Miller, Andrea Martin), so I cannot speak about the quality of the current cast. First, this production is much more sophisticated than any amateur production. I thought the Paulus production was marvelous and very creative. The plot, in my opinion, is weak and thin. I enjoyed the music.

If you want to see it on Broadway, you better make plans soon. It is closing on Jan 4, 2015.

I recall seeing a college production a long time ago. The amateur productions do not use any choreography. Don't know about changes in the actual text for amateur productions.

I saw The LIght in the Piazza on television, YouOverThere. Absolute chloroform, I am sorry to say (with all due respect, sidwich). Please, oh please, take me to the circus......

No offense taken. As much as it's beloved by many theatre folk, I'm actually not a fan of Light in the Piazza. I do think it's a stronger piece than Pippin, though.

Oh I remember PBS broadcasting Pippin, way back in the day. Ben Vereen was one of a kind. I understand from watching the Tony Awards that the new Leading Player is female. I can see why it made sense not to have a comparison to Ben Vereen. The Leading Player must be an amazing dancer (without actually doing much in the opening scene), charismatic, an able singer, and a stage animal. In my mind's eye, I think Usher could do a wonderful job with it. And I think with the right coaching, he could easily master the Fosse style (hands and all).

The Leading Player must be an amazing dancer (without actually doing much in the opening scene), charismatic, an able singer, and a stage animal. In my mind's eye, I think Usher could do a wonderful job with it. And I think with the right coaching, he could easily master the Fosse style (hands and all).

Oh, what an interesting idea -- I will be thinking about this today.

I ended up going (didn't want to offend the intern by not accepting the invite). I thought that it actually was entertaining, and that it had more "bite" than many of the other Broadway musicals that I've seen. The social commentary was deeper. Perhaps it was because I had such low expectations.