This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mariinsky at BAM 2015

Mariinsky's Cinderella with Vishneva has been just released on DVD in Japan, and Vishneva has confirmed on her Twitter that it would be also released in the West later on. Of course, it's not a substitute for a live performance, but something to be considered as you ponder which casting to see or even whether to see this ballet at BAM at all

Mariinsky's Cinderella with Vishneva has been just released on DVD in Japan, and Vishneva has confirmed on her Twitter that it would be also released in the West later on. Of course, it's not a substitute for a live performance, but something to be considered as you ponder which casting to see or even whether to see this ballet at BAM at all

HMV in Japan is selling the Vishneva/Shklylarov Cinderella so if you have a DVD/Blu-Ray player that plays international discs, you can buy it now.

HMV in Japan is selling the Vishneva/Shklylarov Cinderella so if you have a DVD/Blu-Ray player that plays international discs, you can buy it now.

Amazon.jp carries it too, but I think I'll wait for the European/American version - hopefully, it will be less expensive:)

Amazon.jp carries it too, but I think I'll wait for the European/American version - hopefully, it will be less expensive:)

I ordered it but they don't expect it to arrive until January 20, so it won't be any help in casting decisions:(

BTW, in thinking about it, I'd have to say Batoeva is to the Mariinsky a bit like Lauren Lovette is to NYCB. A young, highly promising dancer but, IMO, without the depth, real artistry or technical command of a principal. That is just my impression from seeing Batoeva in soloist roles in London and in seeing Lauren here. Since the only other day that I can attend that particular Balanchine program is Feb 12 ($29 night, so who knows if I'll get tickets) I'm simply going to stick with the tickets I have and wait and see what happens with NYCB casting and tickets. All I can say is aren't we lucky to have such an abundance of ballet riches (plus the Royal Danish principals are here) in NYC at this time of year? I wish every month I had to make these choices:)

Pavlenko is no longer listed for Cinderella at BAM on Jan 18. The BAM website now has the following casting for that date:

Matvienko/ Sergeyev/ Petushkova (Jan 18)

Phooey! I hate all these Mariinsky cast changes. I may sell my ticket for that day because though I love Segeyev, I'm not a Matvienko fan and I don't know Petushkova.

Does anyone have a feedback on Skorik? We have bought tickets to SL with Alina Somova originally cast as O/O; Mariinsky then changed cast in its usual fashion.

We are not sure whether to sell tickets or attend January 22nd performance as Skorik 's partner (Parish) seems to be a rather plain, unsure Siegfried. Would love to know your opinions.

Thanks!

Does anyone have a feedback on Skorik? We have bought tickets to SL with Alina Somova originally cast as O/O; Mariinsky then changed cast in its usual fashion.

We are not sure whether to sell tickets or attend January 22nd performance as Skorik 's partner (Parish) seems to be a rather plain, unsure Siegfried. Would love to know your opinions.

Thanks!

Sell, sell, sell!!!

Thanks!

Yes, sell, sell, sell!!!!!!

Thanks!

I saw Skorik in London this last August perform the PDD in Act 2 of Balanchine's Midsummer.

I guess my first question is are you seeing other SLs? And if not, can you exchange your tickets for another performance?

When I saw Skorik my expectations were very low. A lot of people really dislike her and I've seen YTs of her losing her balance, falling off pointe, doing the hops in Act 1 of Giselle on releve instead of on pointe.

What I saw was a very tall (taller than Lopatkina), thin dancer with a nice line and pretty nice feet. However, she is weak and her epaulement is not really what one would expect of a Vaganova dancer (Skorik trained in a Perm). Though you could see she was struggling a bit during the PDD (she danced with Askerov), she smiled gamely throughout it. In the end I felt she was not nearly as bad as some people complained about but was not in the same league as other principal dancers in the Mariinsky.

If this is your only SL and you can't exchange your tickets, I would see this performance, if only to see the gorgeous corps. I don't really like Parish. I find him bland; okay for the pas de trois in SL Act 1 but not really up to Siegfried. But the corps is gorgeous and you never know who might be performing the Act 1 pas de trois or the folk dances in Act 3. So try to exchange or see another performance. If this is your only option, see it just to see the Mariinsky.

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, this is my only SL. I will try to exchange for Kondaurova's performance (I am not in town for Tereshkina and Lopatkina's nights). I have a feeling (somewhat confirmed by YT clips) that Skorik / Parish pairing would be a disappointment.

I do not understand why does Mariinsky bring on tours performers who are not ready for the "prime time" when company has so many first rate dancers (Novikova, for one, would be a joy to behold).

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, this is my only SL. I will try to exchange for Kondaurova's performance (I am not in town for Tereshkina and Lopatkina's nights). I have a feeling (somewhat confirmed by YT clips) that Skorik / Parish pairing would be a disappointment.

I do not understand why does Mariinsky bring on tours performers who are not ready for the "prime time" when company has so many first rate dancers (Novikova, for one, would be a joy to behold).

Fateyev seems determined to make "new" stars who are generally not Vaganova trained. That is why we are seeing Parish, Skorik and Kim (all trained elsewhere). That is why the American Keenan Kampa was accepted into the company (she is now gone). Batoeva is the only Vaganova graduate he has promoted above the rank of coryphee in the 7 years he has been "acting" AD! That speaks worlds about him as head of the Mariinsky. It is also probably explains why Tsiskaridze (from the Bolshoi) is now rector of the Vaganova. Previously, rules specified only a Vaganova graduate could head the school. Wonderful dancers like Novikova,Osmolkina, Stepin and Sergeyev are still stuck as soloists and Andrei Batalov rarely performs at all. Sarafanov, Obraztsova, Lobukhin and most recently Yulia Stepanova, have left the the company. Top Vaganova graduates like Smirnova, Lebedev, Zhiganshina and Shapran (who has now joined) chose to go elsewhere when they graduated.

Fateyev and McKenzie (of ABT) are head to head in being terrible ADs. I'm not sure who is worse. But in the Mariinsky, there are still so many in the corps who should be soloists and they are still impeccably trained in being in unison. So someone in the Mariinsky is still doing their job adequately. I wish I could say the same about ABT.

Thanks!

I saw Skorik in London this last August perform the PDD in Act 2 of Balanchine's Midsummer.

I guess my first question is are you seeing other SLs? And if not, can you exchange your tickets for another performance?

When I saw Skorik my expectations were very low. A lot of people really dislike her and I've seen YTs of her losing her balance, falling off pointe, doing the hops in Act 1 of Giselle on releve instead of on pointe.

What I saw was a very tall (taller than Lopatkina), thin dancer with a nice line and pretty nice feet. However, she is weak and her epaulement is not really what one would expect of a Vaganova dancer (Skorik trained in a Perm). Though you could see she was struggling a bit during the PDD (she danced with Askerov), she smiled gamely throughout it. In the end I felt she was not nearly as bad as some people complained about but was not in the same league as other principal dancers in the Mariinsky.

If this is your only SL and you can't exchange your tickets, I would see this performance, if only to see the gorgeous corps. I don't really like Parish. I find him bland; okay for the pas de trois in SL Act 1 but not really up to Siegfried. But the corps is gorgeous and you never know who might be performing the Act 1 pas de trois or the folk dances in Act 3. So try to exchange or see another performance. If this is your only option, see it just to see the Mariinsky.

I saw Skorik dance O/O about two years ago in Costa Mesa. I would call her line much more than just nice - I'd say it's absolutely gorgeous and her best feature by far. Her technique was ok but not spectacular, and I didn't find her emotionally engaging. Still, it wasn't a bad performance and she may have improved over the past few years. If you can switch to Kondaurova you'd have a sure thing, but if you can't I'd still go see Skorik. As Amour said, the corps is wonderful, and she isn't bad - I enjoyed her much more than Somova.

I should amend my post above - I enjoyed Skorik's O/O much more than several early performances I saw by Somova however the last time I saw Somova's O/O she had improved greatly and I enjoyed her very much.

Just curious, nysusan, was Skorik able to handle Odile's 32 fouettes? One of my concerns would be that she'd fall off pointe or bail early. I don't think that happened in London (I read both newspaper reviews and Twitter comments about her performance) but was curious if that was the case a few years ago.

I should amend my post above - I enjoyed Skorik's O/O much more than several early performances I saw by Somova however the last time I saw Somova's O/O she had improved greatly and I enjoyed her very much.

Just curious, nysusan, was Skorik able to handle Odile's 32 fouettes? One of my concerns would be that she'd fall off pointe or bail early. I don't think that happened in London (I read both newspaper reviews and Twitter comments about her performance) but was curious if that was the case a few years ago.

I took a look back at what I wrote here after her Costa Mesa O/O (where she and Shklyarov danced on opening night):

"She was ok technically most of the time and there were no big, noticable mistakes but she did simplify some of the steps. They didn't do the iconic overhead lifts on the diagonal in the 1st lakeside scene and my friend pointed out that she didn't really do all the beats we're accustomed to seeing in Odette's coda. Her beats sur le cou d'pied (I think thats what they're called) at the end of the WS pdd were very weak. She made it through the BS fouettes with no problem till she fell out of them at the very end. This was not a big flub, it was hardly noticable unless you had seen Kondaurova the night before who ended under perfect control in a beautiful, solid, triumphant 5th position"

So I guess that two years later I may be remembering her performance as being better than it was - it's the beauty of her line in the White Swan acts that stuck with me . Still, I think she's a dancer with a lot of potential and I'm looking forward to seeing her again.

I took a look back at what I wrote here after her Costa Mesa O/O (where she and Shklyarov danced on opening night):

"She was ok technically most of the time and there were no big, noticable mistakes but she did simplify some of the steps. They didn't do the iconic overhead lifts on the diagonal in the 1st lakeside scene and my friend pointed out that she didn't really do all the beats we're accustomed to seeing in Odette's coda. Her beats sur le cou d'pied (I think thats what they're called) at the end of the WS pdd were very weak. She made it through the BS fouettes with no problem till she fell out of them at the very end. This was not a big flub, it was hardly noticable unless you had seen Kondaurova the night before who ended under perfect control in a beautiful, solid, triumphant 5th position"

So I guess that two years later I may be remembering her performance as being better than it was - it's the beauty of her line in the White Swan acts that stuck with me . Still, I think she's a dancer with a lot of potential and I'm looking forward to seeing her again.

I bought tickets for the 21st when it was TBA thinking it would be Skorik but not to the 22nd because I don't especially like Somova and just saw her SL in August. I must say I was delighted when the 21st cast became Kondaurova. We are seeing 2 performances of Skorik in Chopiniana and in DC in Pacquita. That's plenty (really too much) of Skorik for me. But I'll really be interested in what everyone thinks of Skorik's SL.

BTW, I believe the beats at the end of the WS PDD are battus.

Amour said,

But in the Mariinsky, there are still so many in the corps who should be soloists and they are still impeccably trained in being in unison. So someone in the Mariinsky is still doing their job adequately.

Ballet mistress Nina Ukhova coaches the corps de ballet.

Just found a couple of YT video clips of the latest Skorik/Parish performance. She is quite nice; not sure about his partnering though...

http://youtu.be/DX5MlH6Cudg

http://youtu.be/3tHLAhxlcu0

I'm glad that some videos of Skorik other than ones where she fails have made their way to YT. I agree that Skorik looks ok and that Parish seems the weak link here. It just confirms the impression I had from seeing them in London. Of course, in London Parish was treated like a returning war hero, since he is British and used to dance with the RB. His SL sold out before any others. I think the Mariinsky misunderstood U.S. audiences when they chose to bring Parish but not Kim to BAM. I tweeted them something to that effect last night.

Mirseng1 did you exchange tickets or will you see Skorik? Either way, you'll get a wonderful corps and probably a great Pas de Trois, Folk dances, and Jester.