This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2015 Met season

exchanges at the box office can be made up to 24 yrs before the performance.

Now that takes some planning!

Thank you for my laugh of the day!

ha-ha, my bad!

Did anyone go to the box office for the first day of subscriber exchange week? I had matinee tickets so I decided to wait until later in the week. I know the line can be really loooong on the first day.

I arrived at 2:45 PM yesterday and there was no line at all. Was in and out within minutes.

Also got there about 1:30. It moved really quickly and I was able to get everything I asked for. (and better seats in most cases than my subscription. Go figure). Talked with friends for a bit and by the time I left around 2:30 there was no line at all. They even closed a few windows.

Casting update: McRae is Osipova's Giselle partner

Murphy Whiteside pick up the June 9 SB vacated by Paloma

Hammoudi gets the SL lead with Hee Seo

Promotion for Hammoudi now seems like just a matter of time

Herrera gets Bolle as her Giselle partner instead of the previously scheduled Whiteside.

Surprised we haven't seen the press release yet from ABT re another guest artist (McRae). I liked him very much when he was last at ABT in Corsaire.

Casting update: McRae is Osipova's Giselle partner

Murphy Whiteside pick up the June 9 SB vacated by Paloma

Hammoudi gets the SL lead with Hee Seo

Promotion for Hammoudi now seems like just a matter of time

Herrera gets Bolle as her Giselle partner instead of the previously scheduled Whiteside.

Surprised we haven't seen the press release yet from ABT re another guest artist (McRae). I liked him very much when he was last at ABT in Corsaire.

I LOVE McCrae! I'm seeing him in London in Fille (where he is also dancing with Osipova) and I'm super excited. I might have to get tickets for this now

Just took out my subscription letter and it says mailed exchange requests must be received at least 1 week prior to the performance date but exchanges at the box office can be made up to 24 yrs before the performance.

Thank you nysusan. It seems hit and miss whether the exchange information comes with the trios/create your own series. I'm so glad we still have 24 hours. Years ago, I think it was a week, and I would hate to go back to that. Thanks again for checking.

Congratulations to her. But keeping in mind Abrera's own experiences with ABT, I hope she isn't depriving a deserving Australian Ballet dancer of an opportunity.

Like "Cinderella", if the shoe fits..........In this case , said shoe is on the other foot. I, too, would love to see her as "Giselle".

I'm so glad to see Abrera performing this role again, but if only in NY...

For what it's worth, according to the Australian Ballet's website, she is the only female guest artist who will be performing Giselle in Sydney, in two out of twenty performances.

Australian Ballet is a wonderful company. We don't see them very often in North America, sadly. They performed "La Fille mal gardee" in Seattle to open the 1994-5 season, as part of the PNB subscription.

The AB is becoming the company where ABT ballerinas can go to fulfill wishes that can't come true at home.

Since New Zealand no longer is, with Stiefel gone.

Whelp, guess it wasn't Paloma's decision after all. She basically had no choice. It was Sleeping Beauty or a matinee Giselle:

It wasn’t my choice to retire with ‘Sleeping Beauty,’ ” she says, in the lyrical rhythms of a light Argentine accent. “I don’t feel comfortable with it. . . . I wanted to do something that I’ve done a lot with ABT.

“I’ve been here for 24 years and it’s been my life, and I really wanted to retire with something that meant something special to me,” she continues. “It was not very nice that I didn’t have a choice. It was like, ‘You have to retire in this production.’ ”

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_dance/these-star-ballerinas-are-retiring--graceful-and-grateful-to-the-last-dance/2015/03/20/62f0ef6a-cf24-11e4-a2a7-9517a3a70506_story.html

Also love, how Xiomara put ABT on blast for using all of those guest artists:

Julie, Paloma and I don’t perform as much as we should.” She faults ABT’s practice of bringing in guest artists to headline performances at the Met.

All the guests take a lot of performances from you. It’s hard to keep in shape when you’re only doing one performance now and then,” she says. “You get to a point where you say, ‘Let’s see what else is possible.’ I have been very faithful, and it was my dream company, but it’s time to move on.”

Overrall, that Washington Post interview is pretty insightful. Especially the things Xiomara and Paloma said. Sounds like ABT is as dysfunctional as many already know it to be from past exit interviews, the hiring of a plethora of guest artists, questionable promotions, and the list goes on...

Very revealing article. Such terrible treatment of Paloma. No room in the schedule for her to retire in something she was comfortable in! How rude of McKenzie. Yes, the earth would have stopped spinning if we had been deprived of a performance by Hee Seo or Boylston to make room for Paloma on the schedule.

Very revealing article. Such terrible treatment of Paloma. No room in the schedule for her to retire in something she was comfortable in! How rude of McKenzie. Yes, the earth would have stopped spinning if we had been deprived of a performance by Hee Seo or Boylston to make room for Paloma on the schedule.

Given McKenzie's statement

Regarding Paloma’s decision to withdraw from her June 9th performance of ‘The Sleeping Beauty,’ I was taken by surprise that she would allow us to advertise her farewell performance in the ballet for six months before informing me that she would refuse to appear in it.

is it surprising that he didn't go out of his way to accommodate her?

I would make one minor response to Reyes' comment about the guest stars. In the case of Julie Kent, the guest stars weren't her opponent -- age was. And ABT did go out of their way at times to accommodate that by programming things like Lady of the Camellias, which had a distorting effect on the repertory.

That being said, there have been so many unhappy departures in recent years. Sad!

These comments by the departing Reyes mirror what Corella said in the period leading up to his retirement- that Kevin wasn't offering him much to do even though Corella was ready, willing and able to dance. Yes, I agree that McKenzie went out of his way to keep Kent on the roster. The accommodation was not so much in the selection of works for the company, but in allowing her to repeatedly make significant modifications to the choreography of the classics in order to continue to appear in these ballets. I think that the "easier" works benefitted others in the company too, not just Kent. As an example, Vishneva was a big advocate of Lady of the Cams. too.