This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

PNB at the Joyce

PNB starts a one week engagement at the Joyce in NYC tonight. Does anyone have casting info? The program is the same for the entire week:

Tide Harmonic, Memory Glow, Debonair

If anyone attends tonight, could you please post casting info from the playbill? Thanks.

Well, this is what they told us when they gave a studio showing 9/30:

Tide Harmonic

Lindsi Dec, Margaret Mullin, Laurea Tisserand, Elizabeth Murphy

Jerome Tisserand, James Moore (10/8, 10), Price Suddarth (10/9, 11-12), Batkhurel Bold, Joshua Grant

Memory Glow

Leah Merchant, Elizabeth Murphy, Angelica Generosa

Charles McCall, Raphael Bouchard, James Moore

Matthew Renko/Eric Hipolito Jr (alternating performances), Steven Loch, Price Suddarth, Ezra Thomson

Debonair

Carla Korbes, Jerome Tisserand

Brittany Reid, Margaret Mullin

James Moore, Raphael Bouchard

Jahna Frantziskonis, Angelica Generosa, Leah Merchant

(there's an umlaut over the "e" in Raphael, but I don't know the key command to put it in here)

Price Suddarth Ezra Thomson, Eric Hipolito Jr

I went this afternoon. I am a New Yorker so my only other viewing of PNB was the last City Center season when I saw a rep performance but not R&J. It's hard to give impressions of a company I've seen so seldom live, but here I go.

Tide Harmonic by Wheeldon - Pleasant, well crafted but not memorable. The only thing that sticks in my mind is a kind of pushed slide of women on pointe. For both my husband and myself Elizabeth Murphy was a stand out for her beautiful movement quality and stage presence.

Memory Glow - Really liked this piece. When I saw the number of different composers in the program I wondered how it was all going to fit together. Not to worry. The music flowed seamlessly. There was a fluidity of movement that all the dancers exhibited but Angelica Generosa was a stand out.

Debonair - I like this Justin Peck piece a lot more than Everywhere We Go - the piece I saw with NYCB the other night. In both pieces his ability to move groups and give exciting unison movement to a group is evident. The pas de deux for Carla Korbes & Jerome Tisserand is lovely. Korbes is a dancer on a level beyond the others that I saw. Her arms, focus (not as in concentration, but in where she looks and draws your attention to) are extraordinary. The openness and quiet of her upper body is beyond beautiful. This is a flaw with some of the other female dancers. Their shoulders go up and down and they loose an openness in the chest & shoulder area.

All in all a very entertaining afternoon, with lots of fine dancing. I have to admit, I wish they had come with one piece of standard rep (tutu, Balanchine or something). PNB is a classical ballet company and I'd like to be able to measure the company against other companies. I understand the problems of the small stage and wanting to bring a unique profile to NY, but when a ballet company comes to town I like a gauge to see where they are at. Just my thing!