This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thank you for posting this, YouOverThere. Seems to me it's an experiment worth trying. I note that it's black suits and frocks, so the uniformity of black evening wear, with it's non-distraction factor, will not be completely lost.

I've always assumed that the main reason for dressing musicians in black is that there is only 1 shade of black, whereas if orchestras wore other colors there might be 25 different shades. I don't know if this is correct.

That certainly makes sense, although if there are “uniforms” as mentioned in the article, everyone might were the same shade of, say, navy blue. I think the main point is not to have people distracted by the colorful ties in the horn section and that sort of thing.

That certainly makes sense, although if there are “uniforms” as mentioned in the article, everyone might were the same shade of, say, navy blue. I think the main point is not to have people distracted by the colorful ties in the horn section and that sort of thing.

I wonder what it would look like if each section wore a different color.

Maybe sections could be color-coded by their relative pitch mapped to the colors of the spectrum, though the order would probably have to be reversed because people would tend to think of red as representing higher pitches than blue. You'd have the 1st violins and flutes in red, the 2nd violins and other soprano instruments in orange, and so on down to the tuba in violet. Nah, that would probably look pretty ugly.

Maybe sections could be color-coded by their relative pitch mapped to the colors of the spectrum, though the order would probably have to be reversed because people would tend to think of red as representing higher pitches than blue. You'd have the 1st violins and flutes in red, the 2nd violins and other soprano instruments in orange, and so on down to the tuba in violet. Nah, that would probably look pretty ugly.

I don't know that it's ugly so much as it's busy, but I'd be curious to see this a couple of times.

I don't know that it's ugly so much as it's busy, but I'd be curious to see this a couple of times.

They could use more-neutral colors. White and off-white for the 1st and 2nd violins down to black for the double basses. The violas could be dressed in dull grey. happy.png