This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Colorado Ballet's new building

Colorado Public Radio has posted a video tour of the new building. The opening shots are of the old building at Lincoln and 12th Avenue. The new one, which just opened a couple of weeks ago, is a few blocks away in the Santa Fe arts district at 11th Avenue and Santa Fe. The studio where they are conducting company class is as big as the stage at the Caulkins Opera House where the company performs. Downstairs from that is a black-box theater seating 150.

Oh, I like that big slash of red at (what I think is the) entrance of the new building.

That's the main entrance on the back of the building facing the parking lot. Red is the company color in their publicity.

The new building is at the north end of the very hip, very funky Santa Fe Arts District, with several cute cafes and coffee shops just a block or two down. Students are going to perform in the "First Friday" events on Santa Fe. I hope there are more opportunities for collaboration with the Denver arts scene.

http://www.artdistrictonsantafe.com/events/firstfriday

If you stop in Denver on your way to the ski slopes (the first ones will open in mid-October, I understand) and/or the legal pot stores, it's worth a visit. They are doing Wheeldon's Midsummer Night's Dream September 26-October 5. It was his first major commission, and he made it on this company. I just got back from a big open house for subscribers and friends and the rehearsal bits we got to see are very promising.

If you stop in Denver on your way to the ski slopes (the first ones will open in mid-October, I understand) and/or the legal pot stores,

Oh my dear -- I'm from Seattle -- we've got our own!

The Colorado Symphony held three "Classically Cannabis" fundraisers this summer, for VIPs. People were invited to bring their own weed and light up in the outdoor patio. Everybody keeps wondering how to get a younger generation interested in the classical arts, but I haven't heard of any such plans by the Colorado Ballet!

http://www.denverpost.com/entertainment/ci_25827194/colorado-symphony-orchestras-first-pot-concert-classical-gas

PS: If this legalized marijuana thing works out in Colorado and Washington state, I predict it will spread like wildfire over the next few years -- much like legalized gambling spread once states realized how much tax money they could rake in.

Judging from the local experience so far, there are a plethora of logistical/legal issues that will need to be ironed out for this to really work well. I'm glad to see the effort put in so far, but there are still a lot of glitches in the system.

Back to Colorado Ballet's new facility, though -- does anyone know if other members of the dance community will have access to their studio theater?

. . . does anyone know if other members of the dance community will have access to their studio theater?

They have rental rates and requirements listed for the new building, including the theater. Rates are different for non-profit and for-profit groups. I remember that auditions for summer intensives with other companies were sometimes held at the old building.

http://www.coloradoballet.org/studio-rentals

In the PDF brochure that they sent out, the CB put a big emphasis on the lack of a safe drop-off/pick-up location for parents taking their kids to dance lessons at the old building owing to the vastly inadequate parking lot. The new building has a lounge so that parents won't have to sit in their cars waiting for their kids.