This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Saturday, August 16

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,753 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:09 PM

Ballet West Academy opens a new studio.

Sara Neal, marketing manager for Ballet West, said in an interview with the Deseret News that the company’s desire to open this new facility stemmed from an increased demand from the community in Utah County and that the expansion of the facilities will allow the academy to continue to reach hundreds of students.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,753 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:13 PM

Aspen Santa Fe Ballet performs at Jacob's Pillow this month.

Many of the pieces Aspen Santa Fe Ballet perform were created specifically for the dance company. Next week at Jacob's Pillow, the company will present three works commissioned for the dance company by three different choreographers who have previously worked with the ballet company, which splits its time between the two idyllic resort towns in Colorado and New Mexico when they're not extensively touring.

The three pieces on next week's program are Jorma Elo's "Over Glow," Cayetano Soto's "Beautiful Mistake" and Nicolo Fonte’s "The Heart(s)pace."

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,753 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

An interview with Edward Villella.

“There were these 40 giggling girls, my mom and me. I was totally bored. They were doing these delicate gestures and steps. Then they started to jump. I could jump. So I went to the back of the room and tried out a jump or two of my own. What did I know? But I was a good jumper, though I was kind of doing it all in a clownish way.”

The director of the school saw him and said to his mother “either get him out of here or put him in tights at the barre.”

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,753 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

Reviews of the Royal New Zealand Ballet.

The Dominion Post

This vibrant season of five short works has something for everyone. If classical ballet is your preference, George Balanchine's Allegro Brillante (music, Tchaikovsky,) will not disappoint. Still as fresh today as it was in 1956, it is danced with vivacity and sure technique by all the cast.

Gillian Murphy and Kohei Iwamoto are an elegant principal couple. Her beautiful placing, epaulement and regal bearing suit Balanchine's sweeping choreography and she invests the role with a gentle tenderness, while Iwamoto impressed with his crisp technique.

The National Business Review

The programme notes for the third work, Daniel Belton’s Satellites, notes the influence of German artist Oscar Schlemmer but the visuals looked as though they also owed much to New Zealand artists Len Lye along and Geoff Tune with the notions of planetary and kinetic movement. It’s a work that attempts to capture the power, the magic and the unknown of the cosmos as well as the drama and invention of the man made satellites.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):