This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Summer reading

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31 macnellie

macnellie

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:12 PM

Re Canbelto

I worked in luxury retail for a while. I can really dish on the famous as well as the one percent. Joan Rivers was by far the nicest, most generous and funniest (of course!!) person I worked with. ...and she was very tiny which always surprised me. I miss her.

#32 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:43 PM

That I can actually believe. It seems as if the "prickly" comedians like Joan Rivers are less frozen than the "straight man" comedians. Maybe they just get out all their aggression through comedy or something. For instance I saw a documentary once with Conan O'Brien and he ... well, let's just say he didn't exactly act like the nice goofy guy he plays on TV. 

As for Johnny Carson, I agree dirac, reading about him makes me depressed because I do watch his old episodes on youtube and his jokes about alimony/divorce aren't so funny when you know about his real life. It's like he made it a goal to die alone, miserable, with wads and wads of money and he succeeded in that goal. 

Actually I have a hard time viewing both Ed Sullivan and Johnny Carson shows now that I know about their rather creepy off-TV lives. At least Johnny Carson was just mostly self-destructive, while Ed Sullivan ... knowing how much he pushed for HUAC testimony ... yuck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):