This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Met HD -- DVD vs Blu-ray

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:06 AM

Like many of you, no doubt, I love, love, love the opportunity to see/hear MET Opera productions at my local theater -- and I go to most of them

These productions have also spurred my long time ambition to replace or enchance my opera CD collection with video based versions. The reason?  I am one of those who is in tune with an opera being not just music and singing, but also the marriage of music, emotions, words, and spectacle. For me, I need to see the singer, read the subtitle words.....in essense "be in the opera house".

That these Met productions are available on DVD and Blu-ray has inspired me to "listen" to operas at home on DVD/BD instead of on CDs.  But here's my question.....

Although some of the MET HD operas are available in Blu-ray, many are DVD only.  I'd far prefer the Blu-ray versions.  Does anyone know how the decisions are made as to whether a production will be released on DVD vs Bly-ray?  In particular, what are the odds that something that's DVD only right now will later be released on Blu-ray also.  I've attempted to research this, but have found no information.

Case in point.....I would love to have a copy of the Met's "Enchanted Island".  It's available on DVD but not Blu-ray.  I'd hate to buy the DVD and then find out later that a Blu-ray version is released.  Incidentally, the cost for either version (when they exist) are very similar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):