• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:06 AM

Like many of you, no doubt, I love, love, love the opportunity to see/hear MET Opera productions at my local theater -- and I go to most of them

These productions have also spurred my long time ambition to replace or enchance my opera CD collection with video based versions. The reason?  I am one of those who is in tune with an opera being not just music and singing, but also the marriage of music, emotions, words, and spectacle. For me, I need to see the singer, read the subtitle words.....in essense "be in the opera house".

That these Met productions are available on DVD and Blu-ray has inspired me to "listen" to operas at home on DVD/BD instead of on CDs.  But here's my question.....

Although some of the MET HD operas are available in Blu-ray, many are DVD only.  I'd far prefer the Blu-ray versions.  Does anyone know how the decisions are made as to whether a production will be released on DVD vs Bly-ray?  In particular, what are the odds that something that's DVD only right now will later be released on Blu-ray also.  I've attempted to research this, but have found no information.

Case in point.....I would love to have a copy of the Met's "Enchanted Island".  It's available on DVD but not Blu-ray.  I'd hate to buy the DVD and then find out later that a Blu-ray version is released.  Incidentally, the cost for either version (when they exist) are very similar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):