3 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,214 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:50 AM

An interview with Misty Copeland by Sharon Verghis in The Australian.

Speaking to Review from New York, Copeland, a friendly, open personality whose warm, husky curl of a voice still carries the twang of her west coast origins, says she still can’t quite believe her own success: “Never would I have anticipated getting this role.” It’s a personal triumph for the dancer, who endured years of self-doubt, cultural isolation, rejection, injury, (she’s had a plate screwed into her tibia for six stress fractures) and taunts on blogs about her skin and body; Copeland was once so frustrated by perceived discrimination at ABT (“Being black has hindered me and the roles I have been allowed to do,” she has said) that she contemplated leaving. “And now, here I am, doing Odette,” she says happily, adding that she will be embarking on a rigorous Swan Lake “boot camp” during the northern summer and tapping ABT principals such as Polina Semionova (“such abandonment in her movement”), Diana Vishneva (“incredible arms”) and Gillian Murphy (“she’s so sweet, she’s been tweeting the news”) for inspiration.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,214 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:01 AM

Vail International Dance Festival photo gallery.

After nearly two weeks filled with stunning artistry, world premieres, debuts, new partnerships and sublimely fancy footwork, the 26th Vail International Dance Festival wrapped up Saturday evening. From classical ballet to Memphis jookin’, Indian classical dance to Argentine tango, this festival has it all, and we’re lucky to have it in our back yard. Here are some of our favorite photos from this year’s festival.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,214 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:02 AM

A review of Pacific Northwest Ballet at Jacob's Pillow by Leslie Kandell in The Berkshire Eagle.

None of the works were new, but three of them -- David Dawson’s exhilarating "A Million Kisses to My Skin," Susan Stroman’s Broadway-inflected "Take Five Š More or Less," Annabelle Lopez Ochoa’s odd duet "Before After" -- had not been seen at the Pillow. Nacho Duato’s Haitian lament, "Rassemblement," was here in 2006.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,214 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:33 AM

A review of the Mariinsky Ballet in "Romeo and Juliet" by Giannandrea Poesio in The Spectator.

Few companies in the world show the same attention to detail as the Mariinsky Ballet, or the same religious attention to both history and performance traditions as far as dancing is concerned. Lavrosky’s ingenious simplicity might not suit those used to the more modern-looking choreographic modes of either Kenneth MacMillan or John Cranko, but when tackled as beautifully as it was last week, such simplicity acquires the intensity of an old sonnet. Little matter if in the ensemble scenes the merry citizens of fair Verona perform the same dancing as the unlikely peasants of Giselle and Don Quixote. The essence and the true beauty of Lavrosky’s genius comes fully to the fore both in the great duets, in which love, passion, despair and tragedy are portrayed with a few simple but effective and irresistible choreographic strokes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):