This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

DVD: Giselle with Osipova and Acosta

The DVD of Giselle with Osipova and Acosta has just appeared on the Amazon-US site for pre-order. It will be released September 30, 2014.

http://www.amazon.com/Giselle-Natalia-Osipova/dp/B00M428DPQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1407590948&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=royal+ballet+giselle+acosta

It was recorded in performance in January 2014. It will be released in the UK on September 1, 2014:

http://www.roh.org.uk/products/giselle-dvd-the-royal-ballet-2014

This is the performance from the recent cinema broadcast, yes?

The broadcast was the January 27 performance, but the ROH announcement of the DVD says only January 2014. Still, it makes obvious sense that this is the performance being transferred to DVD. As Acosta-Osipova did more than one performance of Giselle, it is theoretically possible that the DVD came from another one, but that wouldn't seem very cost-effective:

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/giselle-screened-live-in-cinemas-across-the-world-on-27-january

Most dvds use a composite of two or more performances to give the best possible performance on a dvd. I know that the Bolshoi's Nutcracker had one dancer fall in the cinema, but there is no fall in the dvd that was released later.

So I suspect this might be the case with this.

Opera dvds are almost always taken from several nights in the run. This is a holdover from audio recording days when they did several takes to release the best possible studio recording, and I think the live dvd performances have kept some of the tradition alive.

Most dvds use a composite of two or more performances to give the best possible performance on a dvd. I know that the Bolshoi's Nutcracker had one dancer fall in the cinema, but there is no fall in the dvd that was released later.

So I suspect this might be the case with this.

I'm looking at the Royal's DVD of La Bayadere (with Acosta, Rojo, and Nunez). It says it was recorded on January 15 and 19, 2009, presumably for the reasons you suggest.

As an aside...We now have wonderful DVDs of Acosta in performance with Royal in Manon, Don Quixote, La Fille, R&J, and Bayadere. Soon we'll have him in Giselle and, with luck, his Swan Lake with Osipova later next year. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we had comparable DVDs of Marcelo Gomes (and Corella, Boca, et al.) in these great roles?

Osipova is scheduled to dance Swan Lake with Matthew Golding.

Thanks for the correction. I guess we won't have an (official) record of his Swan Lake. He has announced his retirement from Royal for September 2015, so perhaps we'll get one more DVD of his performances.

Still, we do have a lot available, thanks to Royal. I searched for David Hallberg - the only record of his performances on DVD is the Sleeping Beauty at Bolshoi. Thanks to La Scala, we have several DVDs of Roberto Bolle. Thanks to La Scala and Royal, we have several of Alessandra Ferri. What a disgrace that ABT has never figured out how to record and distribute DVDs of the many wonderful performances of their principal dancers.