This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet Chicago 2014 Summer Session Upper Division Show

Jack Reed

As I've posted in the forums, Ballet Chicago's upper-division summer-program show goes on tomorrow in the 474-seat theater in the Logan Center at the University of Chicago, 915 E. 60th Street, from 4 to 5 PM. I expect most of the choreography on view will be drawn from the Balanchine repertory, and there's not too much of that to be seen in good performances around here, IMO.

Those who just enjoy watching dancing to see how the choreographer hears his/her music may like this show, too.

There may be tickets, at $25, and there's a parking lot at 60th and Drexel Avenue that may be available. It's general admission, so come early, that's my strategy.

There's probably more publicity for their big professional show, usually called Spring Repertory, in mid-May, in the Harris theater on east Randolph Street in recent years. That's the main one to watch for.

In December, they have a Nutcracker, with their own party scene and 3/4 of Balanchine's pas de deux, otherwise mostly choreography by Dan Duell (including the Cavalier's variation in the Act II pas de deux) and some by Patricia Blair, in the Athenaeum Theater on Southport Avenue south of Belmont. (Unusually, this features a short Snow Pas de deux, to the adagio "Pine Forest" music, and I find both the Duells' choreography satisfyingly sensitive to the music overall, if not quite so seemingly inspired by it as Mr. B.'s. But then, for me, nobody's compares with his.)