This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Tuesday, August 5

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,932 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

Nina Ananiashvili stages "Don Quixote" for the Hong Kong Ballet.

Although she's performed Don Quixote hundreds of times with many different companies, this is the first time Ananiashvili has staged it herself. She has brought with her a strong team: Aleksei Fadeechev, her partner at the Bolshoi where he was subsequently artistic director (and staged the 1999 version of Don Quixote in Hong Kong) as artistic consultant; and Ekaterina Shavliashvili, State Ballet of Georgia's ballet mistress, as assistant to the choreographer. "We're keeping the classic choreography by Marius Petipa and Alexander Gorsky, but have cut the ballet down from three acts to two," says Ananiashvili. "So it will be a very dynamic version."

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,932 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:19 AM

A review of the Mariinsky Ballet by Sarah Crompton in The Daily Telegraph.

There were lots of lucky little girls in party frocks and sparkling shoes in the audience for the Mariinsky Ballet’s performance of Swan Lake on Monday.

They were entranced – and rightly so. Even if they grow up to have long and inspiring ballet-going lives, they are unlikely to see an Odette as other-worldly and magical as Uliana Lopatkina.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,932 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:29 AM

An interview with Jade Wood of the Australian Ballet.

EXERCISE AND TRAINING

“Well, it depends on whether we’re doing shows at night or not!” says Wood. “Being elite sportspeople, our bodies are our tools and we want to make sure we’re always in top condition.

“Right now we’re in a rehearsal period, so at 11.30am we do a 1 hour and 15 minute class 6 days a week, then we rehearse until 2.30, take a lunchbreak, and rehearse again until 6.30pm.

“On the days we have a show we have a class at 11.30am, rehearse until 3pm, and then take a few hours’ break.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,932 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

A list of "17 Ballet Icons Who Are Changing the Face of Dance Today."

12. Aesha Ash. Aesha Ash left the New York City Ballet in 2003, back when she was the only black female dancer. She then started the Swan Dreams Project, a campaign that seeks to "change the demoralized, objectified and caricatured images of African-American women by exposing young ladies to the beauty of ballet."

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,932 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:49 AM

Baby news from the National Ballet of Canada.

The dance company says Heather Ogden and Guillaume Cote are expecting their first child in December.

Ogden is on maternity leave and is slated to return to the stage next June.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,932 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

What's next for San Antonio's newest dance company, Ballet Latino of San Antonio.

Worthen's latest goal is to obtain sponsors and funds to put Ballet Latino on firm financial footing.

Already, she is working on the fall season and negotiating to take the troupe north next year. Ballet Latino has been invited to perform at a dance festival in Canada in the spring, Worthen said.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,932 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:51 AM

Promotions and new faces at Boston Ballet.

Thirteen dancers have been promoted: Dusty Button, Whitney Jensen, and John Lam are rising from soloist to principal dancer; Isaac Akiba, Anaïs Chalendard, and Seo Hye Han are rising from second soloist to soloist; Paul Craig and Roddy Doble are moving up from the corps to second soloist; and Emily Entingh, Brett Fukuda, Andres Garcia, Kathryn McDonald, and Marcus Romeo are moving from Boston Ballet II to the corps.

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,932 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:54 AM

Commentary on Misty Copeland, ballet, and body image by Hana Glaser for Slate.

Most dancers, or ex-dancers, have horror stories: Young girls are told to weigh in in front of the class, instructed to get breast reductions, and scolded for having feet that aren’t “good enough.” A friend I grew up dancing with recently told me about girls who would purposefully jam their feet under wooden blocks until they morphed into a perfect arch. I never went to such lengths but quit ballet when I was 16—too frustrated, too impatient, and too imperfect. I quit knowing that my leg was never going to extend to a proper length and that the leotard I saw in the catalog was never going to hang on my DD breasts the way it hung on that concave-chested blonde in the photograph.

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,932 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

Peoria Ballet has a new artistic director.

Peoria Ballet will host the Peoria Ballet Academy open house from 10 a.m. to noon Aug. 16 to welcome Poulis and his wife, Fabiana. Free sample classes and refreshments will be provided.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):