This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Boca Ballet Swan Lake - Sara Mearns 8/3

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kristen

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:53 AM

This production was a total pleasure and I was impressed with the quality of the production. Kudos for a third time viewing of a Boca Ballet Theatre production.  (I saw the Mariinsky do Swan Lake in January and do not want to draw any comparisons, since we’re playing in a totally different league here, not to mention that my Mariinsky ticket didn’t sell for $35)  The Boca Ballet dancers were of all sizes, styles and talent levels, but gave a cohesive, well rehearsed performance overall.  Ariel Soto, guest from the Cuban Classical Ballet, was a Benno with a great jump and stage presence.

Seeing Sara Mearns for the first time live was a delight, particularly from the sixth row in a small theatre.  She’s a gorgeous dancer and any minor flaws were the result of partnering problems – understandable when dancers meet up shortly before a guest appearance.  Simon Ball was a competent, if unremarkable, partner.  He cuts a pleasant figure, but lacks elevation.  I’ve never seen him before and in younger years, perhaps he had it, though you also have to consider the limiting effect of a small stage.  The audience felt pretty much as I did – polite applause for Ball, very enthusiastic for Mearns.

Mearns transition from Odette to Odile was magnificent, with much of the personality transformation communicated with flashing eyes.  Her fouettes traveled a bit, but given her incredible Balanchine style speed, who would care?  No, she doesn’t have those Russian swan arms, but nevertheless, I can’t imagine any NYCB dancer delivering a more gorgeous, nuanced Odette than Mearns.

#2 Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for reporting on this! I have never gone to one of their performances, because it would have to coincide with a visit to my parents' and my ribs and spine are still on the mend! But I appreciate hearing about how it went. 

#3 Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:27 AM

I would have liked to see this performance--thank you for the report.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):