This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Gil Boggs re-signed for five years as AD

The Colorado Ballet just announced that they have re-signed Gil Boggs for five years as Artistic Director.

Colorado Ballet's Board of Trustees renewed Artistic Director Gil Boggss contract for an additional five years. Boggs accepted the position of Artistic Director with Colorado Ballet in the spring of 2006.

During Boggs tenure, Colorado Ballet has presented 14 world premieres and 12 Colorado Ballet premieres by choreographers including Twyla Tharp, Lar Lubovitch, Anthony Tudor, Val Caniparoli, Dwight Rhoden and Lynne Taylor-Corbett. He has also re-staged full-length productions of Swan Lake, The Sleeping Beauty, Giselle, Don Quixote and Coppelia along with adding new full-length productions of Romeo & Juliet, Le Corsaire, Beauty and the Beast and Peter Pan.

In addition to his artistic achievements, Boggs has also worked with the Board of Trustees to secure a new home for Colorado Ballet, which is slated to open next month after construction is complete. Financially, the organization continues to improve under Boggs leadership. Last season, Colorado Ballet had the most successful performance season in the history of the organization, breaking both attendance and revenue records.

This was announced in their monthly newsletter:
http://clicks.skem1.com/archive/view/?c=1Bx2lh&g=2714

I've only lived in Denver for a few years, but I've seen virtually all of their performances since moving here. I've been especially impressed with Boggs' programming choices -- a good mix of classics, new choreography, and some pieces which seem designed to bring in new and younger audiences (e.g., Peter Pan, Dracula). The programs are meticulously produced and rehearsed, with live orchestra and chorale.

I'm glad to see this commitment to Boggs. Oftentimes, after a big capital campaign, you see a shift in leadership, which always seems like a snub -- we want you to work your tail off for this project, but we don't want you to enjoy the fruits of your labor.