This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Saturday, August 2

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:26 PM

Reviews of the Mariinsky Ballet.

The Observer

Shklyarov is a thrilling principal dancer. His soaring leaps and soundless landings are mesmerising, his jetés are arrow-sharp and his first-night ovation with Vishneva was fully merited. But it was no less fascinating to watch Parish's performance with Tereshkina. Four years ago, languishing in the Royal's corps de ballet, Parish accepted an offer to join the Mariinsky, the first Briton ever to do so. Last week he returned to Covent Garden as one of the Russian company's stars, delivering a performance that was as confident as it was elegantly shaped. An ardent Romeo, intoxicated by love, he partnered Tereshkina with an almost disbelieving tenderness. It was a fine homecoming.

The Telegraph

In fact, so deep is the Mariinsky communion with Swan Lake that the production has an almost impersonal completeness. It envelops the spectator, which is not quite the same thing as engaging us.

Similarly the first night leads, Oxana Skorik and Timur Askerov, were momentous rather than moving. When one is accustomed to dancers like Tamara Rojo or Johan Kobborg investing every last hand gesture with dramatic import, this more distanced style takes some adjustment, and to me it will always feel as though there is an emotional dimension missing. 

Photo gallery.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:32 PM

An obituary for former NYCB board member and Kennedy Center chairman Ralph P. Davidson.

“When I took this job, I made it perfectly clear right at the outset that I was not a theatrical entrepreneur, impresario, whatever the word is,” Mr. Davidson told The Washington Post in 1988. “I said, ‘If you’re looking for someone with a theatrical background, then you’re talking to the wrong person. But if you will take me on the rest of my track record, then you’re talking to the right person and we’ll go from there.’ ”

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:17 AM

The parents of dancer Jack Widdowson, the victim of a brutal mugging, set up Dance Again, a charity for dancers recovering from injury.

A fundraising concert will be held at Sadler's Wells Theatre, in London, featuring Jack, alongside stars from the Royal Ballet, Northern Ballet, English National Ballet – and Strictly Come Dancing contestant and Bath Rugby player Gavin Henson.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:29 AM

The Cecchetti International Classical Ballet Competition 2014 will be held in the States for the first time.

“This is the first competition hosted in the U.S.,” Seibert said in a telephone interview, noting that the competition rotates among the seven organizations that compose the Cecchetti International Ballet. “It won’t come back to Cecchetti USA for 21 years. The next competition will be held in Italy.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):