This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

What changes are required to the Mariinsky repertoire?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#76 Amour

Amour

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:43 PM

I imagine the state the Russian economy is in makes them desperate for foreign currency, but if things get worse in Ukraine and sanctions get tougher it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Russian ballet companies will no longer be welcome.

If the Ukraine crisis gets any worse, the whole thing could stir into a full scale war, possibly even World War 3! If that happens, so many Russians will be forced to flee their homes.

But surely the West wouldn't force ballet companies to stay away since they have nothing to do with all this...

Well, the Mariinsky still has plans to go to the Segerstrom Center in September and just last week announced they will be bringing Raymonda to the Kennedy Center in Feb. 2016. Also, ABT just announced Shklyarov and Sarafanov are taking over a few of Hallberg's performances this spring. Also, the Eifman Ballet is coming to City Center in May. So despite great tensions, I don't think it will affect Russian companies/dancers coming here unless things really badly deteriorate.

Actually, the the big drop in the ruble is making St. Petersburg look like kind of an attractive place to visit (of course, mainly for the ballet). If only the visa requirements were not such a pain in the neck. But we've been semi-seriously talking about it, especially now thet winter seems over.

#77 Amour

Amour

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:53 PM

I don't know which performance he was spotted but the cast to watch was Bouder in Square Dance and Peck in Harlequinade. I can't imagine MB doing SD but H is definitely a good fit. I doubt he's scouting. May be he's in town inspecting/securing venue for next tour?

I like that idea. The Koch is empty for about 10 days between when Nut ends and NYCB's winter starts up. If it's available he might very well want to check it out. I think BAM is probably cheaper but being at Lincoln Center guarantees that every single performance will be sold out (and sold out in hours, not days).

#78 Amy

Amy

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:30 AM

I imagine the state the Russian economy is in makes them desperate for foreign currency, but if things get worse in Ukraine and sanctions get tougher it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Russian ballet companies will no longer be welcome.

If the Ukraine crisis gets any worse, the whole thing could stir into a full scale war, possibly even World War 3! If that happens, so many Russians will be forced to flee their homes.

But surely the West wouldn't force ballet companies to stay away since they have nothing to do with all this...

Well, the Mariinsky still has plans to go to the Segerstrom Center in September and just last week announced they will be bringing Raymonda to the Kennedy Center in Feb. 2016. Also, ABT just announced Shklyarov and Sarafanov are taking over a few of Hallberg's performances this spring. Also, the Eifman Ballet is coming to City Center in May. So despite great tensions, I don't think it will affect Russian companies/dancers coming here unless things really badly deteriorate.

Actually, the the big drop in the ruble is making St. Petersburg look like kind of an attractive place to visit (of course, mainly for the ballet). If only the visa requirements were not such a pain in the neck. But we've been semi-seriously talking about it, especially now thet winter seems over.

Yeah exactly, although if things do badly deteriorate, could that mean that Russian dancers/companies would have to leave Russia to find work abroad for a while? You would think, however, that that wouldn't be a problem for dancers like Sarafanov and Shklyarov since they are both popular here in the West, especially in the US, so if things did get really bad, I'm sure someone here in the West would not hesitate to bring them on board.

We can only hope that all these sanctions will put enough pressure on Putin to make him break and hopefully, it'll result in getting the Russian troops out of Ukraine...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):