What changes are required to the Mariinsky repertoire?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:10 AM

The Bright Stream is not rubbish, audiences love it.  I'm a huge Ratmansky fan and like meunier fan I thought DSCH was the highlight of the Kirov's London season.  I'll admit Anna Karenina wasn't up to much though, but a difficult subject to make into a ballet, I have somewhere on video an old version by Maya Plisetskaya - now that is boring, I fell asleep watching it.

#32 Amy

Amy

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:34 AM

The Bright Stream is not rubbish, audiences love it.  I'm a huge Ratmansky fan and like meunier fan I thought DSCH was the highlight of the Kirov's London season.  I'll admit Anna Karenina wasn't up to much though, but a difficult subject to make into a ballet, I have somewhere on video an old version by Maya Plisetskaya - now that is boring, I fell asleep watching it.

Oh yeah, I have heard The Bright Stream is good. Yeah that's the problem with Tolstoy's novels - they're really hard adaptations to pull off, especially if you're going to put the whole thing into two acts! You'd need about 10 acts for his works!

#33 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,248 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

If I had only seen "Anna Karenina," I would have wondered what the fuss was about, because it reminded me of the criticism of "The Tempest" as not being able to quite decide what kind of ballet it was.  It was, though, as far as I can see, his first original full-length ballet, choreographed for Royal Danish Ballet, which performs in a more intimate theater than the Mariinsky does, and, I think, a bit more than he could chew at the time.  I don't think editing the story is in insolvable problem -- there's an operatic "War and Peace" that does justice to the bones of the novel -- but the key scene in which Anna shows her hand publicly is a challenge of focus and proximity to understand.  It's hard enough for choreographers who present linearly, which Ratmansky does not, because his best is so multi-layered; the "Don Quichot" that was filmed Amsterdam was nothing like seeing it live in Seattle; the camera couldn't pick up more half of what was going on or the life of the piece, whereas the National Ballet of Cuba's, which I saw within a month of Ratmansky's, was masterful in its strictly linear telling and (would be) camera-friendly focus. (It was a very affectionate approach, too, loving all of its characters.)  Outside of opera, where everyone stops and sings, the concentrated power of a mob that shuns socially without dynamic physical violence is a near impossibility without a camera, like at the end of the "Dangerous Liaisons" movie or in "Star Trek:  The Next Generation" where Worf and his brother are shunned ritually, as each Klingon in the circle turns his back and snaps his arms over his chest in an "X" movement in succession, which was simple, but artful choreography in close-up.

Choreographers don't always get their preferences in whether works are performed.  I don't know what his arrangement is in terms of rights -- ie, whether the Mariinsky owns them or had rights for a decade, etc. -- but even if they do hold the rights, he could protest by freezing out the Mariinsky if they continue to perform and tour with "Cinderella."  He obviously maintains a relationship with the company in spite of this, just as Balanchine didn't see to freeze out ABT when they continued to perform "Symphonie Concertante" and "Bouree Fantasque," neither of which were choreographed for ABT but were early works for NYCB and dropped from the NYCB rep, unlike "Theme and Variations."

Ratmansky has done so many other stellar works, from originals to reconstructions to heavily re-interpreted traditional ballets, both full-length and short ballets, that dismissing them with a single description, "rubbish," isn't very useful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):