This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

What changes are required to the Mariinsky repertoire?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Amy

Amy

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:57 AM

No actually, it does because when Petipa first staged The Awakening of Flora, he had some of his best dancers in all the roles. And yes, this would be my ideal cast for the DVD. smile.png

Honestly, there is only one significant ballerina role and one significant male role, so a dream cast does not really apply for this ballet, but it is a wonderful ballet for those two roles. Anyway, what is your dream cast for the DVD?

Although, two of the ballerinas who are part of my dream cast are currently on maternity leave, so they wouldn't be able to take part in any dream casting of mine right now lol.

#17 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:33 AM

The issue isn't so much the main repertoire that's based on their primary specialty (Petipa's legacy).  Nor is the issue

the recent acquisition of some Balanchine and Ashton masterpieces, or other important 20th century works.  The problem is Fateyev's perpetual lack of a coherent vision and managerial gravitas which have already been covered in other threads in this

link.  

IMO, there are many ballets that the Mariinsky needs to re-think, tweak and upgrade.  Some of the other ballets in rep

they just need to get rid of.  The company and the management's culture is conservative re it's heritage and legacy.

That said, the Sergeyev redactions of Petipa's classics and the Soviet rep that remain will most likely not be changed

any time in the near future.  

The following ballets should be deleted from the rep:

• The new "Sacre," choreography by Sacha Waltz. 
  • "Presentiment of Spring," choreography by Yuri Smekalov.  
  • "The Magic Nut," choreography by Donvena Pandoursky, (the prequel to the                                                                      'other' "Nutcracker," (choreography by Simonov, designs by Chemiakin).  

#18 Amy

Amy

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:46 PM

And I beg your pardon, I didn't read your question properly; sorry about that, but here is my dream cast for The Awakening of Flora and you are very welcome to give your opinion smile.png

Flora, the Goddess of the Spring - Ekaterina Osmolkina

Favonius, the God of the West Wind - Leonid Sarafanov

Luna, the Goddess of the Moon - Maria Shirinkina

Aquilon, the God of the North Wind - Vasily Tkachenko

Aurora, the Goddess of the Dawn - Anastasia Nikitina

Sol, the God of the Sun - Yuri Smekalov

Cupid, the God of Love - Oksana Marchuk

Mercury, the Messenger of the Gods - Alexei Timofeyev

Hebe, the Goddess of Youth - Yulia Stepanova

#19 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

Flora, the Goddess of the Spring - Ekaterina Osmolkina

Favonius, the God of the West Wind - Leonid Sarafanov

Luna, the Goddess of the Moon - Maria Shirinkina

Aquilon, the God of the North Wind - Vasily Tkachenko

Aurora, the Goddess of the Dawn - Anastasia Nikitina

Sol, the God of the Sun - Yuri Smekalov

Cupid, the God of Love - Oksana Marchuk

Mercury, the Messenger of the Gods - Alexei Timofeyev

Hebe, the Goddess of Youth - Yulia Stepanova

Sounds great to me! I like all those dancers to varying degrees and think they are all accomplished. One problem is that Sarafanov is no longer at the Mariinsky, but you probably know that. Maybe Fateyev would let him guest, but not sure about that. Osmolkina is a fabulous Flora. I can't wait until she is back on stage and hope she gets more roles! I would love to see that cast though. 

#20 Amy

Amy

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

Sounds great to me! I like all those dancers to varying degrees and think they are all accomplished. One problem is that Sarafanov is no longer at the Mariinsky, but you probably know that. Maybe Fateyev would let him guest, but not sure about that. Osmolkina is a fabulous Flora. I can't wait until she is back on stage and hope she gets more roles! I would love to see that cast though. 

Thanks Bart and yes, I know Sarafanov is no longer with the Mariinsky, but if we somehow managed to get rid of Fateyev any time soon, one thing I would do - if I was in a position to do so - would be to try and persuade Sarafanov to return to the Mariinsky. But having said that, if Fateyev did go any time soon, maybe Sarafanov wouldn't need persuading to return... who knows?

#21 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:39 PM

And sign Lebedev up! He is amazing! I tell everyone to go see him! 

#22 Amy

Amy

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

And sign Lebedev up! He is amazing! I tell everyone to go see him! 

Will do! thumbsup.gif

#23 Amy

Amy

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

Indeed they should bring in Coppelia, but they should bring in the reconstruction staged by Sergei Vikharev - just have a look at the original Petipa variation for Dawn and you'll see why they need to bring back the ballet in its original form. smile.png

#24 meunier fan

meunier fan

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:50 PM

Not so sure about the former Kirov Coppelia (based on that variation).  The Bolshoi's production is lovely.  Saw it when it was new with Osipova.  Totally delicious.  Wondered if the Mariinsky might consider doing Ratmansky's Shostakovitch Trilogy based on their relative success with Concerto DSCH.  That would certainly go down well in London I think ... and, after all, it was (believe it or not) the Kirov (Mariinsky) who introduced London to JEWELS in 2008!!!  Then we had another round of the same with the Bolshoi ... and now, of course, it is part of the Royal Ballet's rep (thankfully)   To be fair the RB did have RUBIES first ... but it was removed by the Trust as not being suitable for the British Company.  Now - with Osipova and McRae in the drivers seats - it is totally effervescent; the RUBIES that is.  Nunez is also lovely in DIAMONDS.  . Would love for the RB to have more Ratmansky - certainly those works which are considered his key ones.  Got a feeling though that Kevin O'Hare is wanting original works from him  .... but that, of course, leaves BRB .... which is grand .... and ENB ... who, I somehow suspect might not be able to afford it/them .... but then there may be individual patrons who could well be encouraged in that particular direction .... (but that's off this immediate topic).

#25 Vivacegal

Vivacegal

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:54 PM

Hello!  I'm new here but not shy about sharing my opinions. happy.png

The version danced by the fabulous Irina Shapchits was the first version of that variation I ever saw.  Now viewing the version danced by Stashkevich, I'm underwhelmed.  It seems pedestrian in contrast, as reconstructions tend to be, imo.  The choreographer of the version danced by Shapchits seems to have breathed new life into it.  

#26 Amy

Amy

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

Not so sure about the former Kirov Coppelia (based on that variation).  The Bolshoi's production is lovely.  Saw it when it was new with Osipova.  Totally delicious.  Wondered if the Mariinsky might consider doing Ratmansky's Shostakovitch Trilogy based on their relative success with Concerto DSCH.  That would certainly go down well in London I think ... and, after all, it was (believe it or not) the Kirov (Mariinsky) who introduced London to JEWELS in 2008!!!  Then we had another round of the same with the Bolshoi ... and now, of course, it is part of the Royal Ballet's rep (thankfully)   To be fair the RB did have RUBIES first ... but it was removed by the Trust as not being suitable for the British Company.  Now - with Osipova and McRae in the drivers seats - it is totally effervescent; the RUBIES that is.  Nunez is also lovely in DIAMONDS.  . Would love for the RB to have more Ratmansky - certainly those works which are considered his key ones.  Got a feeling though that Kevin O'Hare is wanting original works from him though .... but that, of course, leaves BRB .... which is grand .... and ENB ... who, I somehow suspect might not be able to afford it/them .... but then there may be individual patrons who could well be encouraged in that particular direction.  

I've seen the filmed performance of the Bolshoi's Coppelia with Osipova - absolutely delicious as you say. :)

You know, it seems the Concerto DSCH by Ratmansky was the most successful part of the London tour, or at least one critic said it was the most exciting part - his Cinderella didn't go down very well with the critics, one called "an anti-climatic end to the tour". I went to see it and I enjoyed the performance thanks to the wonderful dancers, but the production itself really needs to go!

And in terms of this topic, what changes do you think need to be made to the Mariinsky repertoire? What productions would you like to see go and what productions/ballets would you like to see brought in?

#27 meunier fan

meunier fan

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:06 PM

DSCH was the HIGHLIGHT in this London turn  .... The audience was united in its ROAR.  More KEY Ratmansky please Mariinsky ... and ready to be brought during the next Marrinsky sojourn here in two years' time.  (Assume next year may well be the Bolshoi for London if the standard selection is to follow suit.)   As towards the CINDERELLA ... perhaps the Mariinsky could share the Austrialian Ratmansky revamp .... Sure they have many productions to trade that the Australians would be appreciative of, say Ashton's Sylvia ... especially given that Company's history with Helpmann.  I bet the Mariinsky won't be doing that work THAT often.)  

#28 Amy

Amy

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:14 PM

DSCH was the HIGHLIGHT in this London turn  .... The audience was united in its ROAR.  More KEY Ratmansky please Mariinsky ... and ready to be brought during the next Marrinsky sojourn here in two years' time.  (Assume next year may well be the Bolshoi for London if the standard selection is to follow suit.)   As towards the CINDERELLA ... perhaps the Mariinsky could share the Austrialian Ratmansky revamp .... Sure they have many productions to trade that the Australians would be appreciative of, say Ashton's Sylvia ... especially given that Company's history with Helpmann.  I bet the Mariinsky won't be doing that work THAT often.)  

So you're a Ratmansky fan, are you?

#29 meunier fan

meunier fan

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:24 PM

Well, for the key pieces certainly .... I've never seen NAMOUNA for example ... and from what I've read ....I would be VERY eager to do so.  

#30 Amy

Amy

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:42 PM

Well, for the key pieces certainly .... I've never seen NAMOUNA for example ... and from what I've read ....I would be VERY eager to do so.  

I've only seen one of his works and that was Cinderella - people have been calling him the Frederick Ashton of this century, but I've heard that almost all of his full-length ballets are rubbish, like I heard his Anna Karenina is very boring.

Though I have to say, he certainly does a good job when it comes to reconstructing Petipa's ballets - he did a good job reconstructing Le Corsaire with Yuri Burlaka and I'd like to see his upcoming reconstruction of Paquita that he has worked on with Doug Fullington.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):