This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

What changes are required to the Mariinsky repertoire?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Amy

Amy

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:31 AM

Hi everyone.

In regards to how the Mariinsky repertoire has been suffering under Fateyev, I would like to hear everyone's opinion regarding what changes you all think need to be made to the repertoire.

What ballets would you all like to see removed? What productions do you think need to be replaced and/or changed? Are there any ballets/productions you would like to see brought to the Mariinsky theatre? And are there any that you feel should be brought back?

#2 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:46 PM

My number 1 choice of ballet to remove from the Mariinsky repertoire is Le Parc. I can't stand it. Next would be Forsythe ballets. 

#3 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:19 PM

I would bring back the lovely Awakening of Flora. Not every year, but now and then I'd love to see it return to the stage!

#4 Amy

Amy

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

I would bring back the lovely Awakening of Flora. Not every year, but now and then I'd love to see it return to the stage!

Funny, that's actually still listed in the repertoire, but never danced these days. When was it last danced?

#5 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:54 PM

I adore Le Parc, but can't  imagine the Kirov doing it justice.

#6 YID

YID

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

Stone Flower please

#7 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

Coppelia! Hard to believe but the Mariinsky doesn't have Coppelia in the repertoire. 

#8 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

I think something they should add is La Fille mal Gardee......the Bolshoi does a version of it, the Mikhailovsky does the Ashton version, I believe, but the Mariinsky doesn't do any version of it. Since they have recently added Sylvia and Marguerite and Armand to their rep, I would think adding Ashton's La Fille would be a good idea. 

#9 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:38 AM

Funny, that's actually still listed in the repertoire, but never danced these days. When was it last danced?

Oh, I didn't check, I thought it would've just disappeared from the repertoire, like the reconstructed Sleeping Beauty and Bayadère. That means it might be performed again some day, great. :)

Don't know when it was last performed, but it must've been a few years.

#10 GeorgeB fan

GeorgeB fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:59 AM

Coppelia! Hard to believe but the Mariinsky doesn't have Coppelia in the repertoire. 

I was about to make the same suggestion! From what I understand they haven't perform this classic ballet in years!! Unbelievable. And base on this youtube video of the Dawn variation I think Mariinsky version of this ballet would be wonderful.

#11 Amy

Amy

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:49 AM

I think something they should add is La Fille mal Gardee......the Bolshoi does a version of it, the Mikhailovsky does the Ashton version, I believe, but the Mariinsky doesn't do any version of it. Since they have recently added Sylvia and Marguerite and Armand to their rep, I would think adding Ashton's La Fille would be a good idea. 

Yeah they did have La Fille mal Gardee in the 90s and I think it was a reconstruction of the Petipa/Ivanov version. It was a big success, but it was removed from the repertoire shortly after the director who staged it left.

#12 Amy

Amy

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:51 AM

Oh, I didn't check, I thought it would've just disappeared from the repertoire, like the reconstructed Sleeping Beauty and Bayadère. That means it might be performed again some day, great. smile.png

Don't know when it was last performed, but it must've been a few years.

I hope it will be performed again soon, it's absolutely beautiful! Petipa did wonders with 1 act ballets as well as full length ones! I would also like to see it recorded for DVD and I've even got my dream Mariinsky cast lined up in my head lol.

#13 alexaa1a

alexaa1a

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:53 AM

Yeah they did have La Fille mal Gardee in the 90s and I think it was a reconstruction of the Petipa/Ivanov version. It was a big success, but it was removed from the repertoire shortly after the director who staged it left.

Coppelia was in MT rep in 1990s, but La Fille Mal Gardee might not have been in rep since Russian Revolution, but not certain about when it disappeared from rep. However, the Russian Revolution caused the abandonment of many classics, most to never return.

#14 Tiara

Tiara

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

Yes to all the INs and OUTs on this list, and especially OUT to the truly DIRE Le Parc, Anna Karenina and Cinderella.  Also Infra and all the other modern rubbish currently infiltrating the MT repertoire.  I am British, and have to say I just feel ashamed that Russian audiences see so little of our best choreographers and get saddled with so much pretentious twaddle.- in my opinion.   And I would also like to say that if cost/time is used as an excuse, there are many great Ashton and MacMillan ballets that are one act and wonderful for inclusion on a triple bill playbill.

My favourite MacMillan ballet is actually the beautiful short ballet, Winter Dreams, which is so apt for a  Russian company and contains the most wonderful pas de deux at its heart, but Requiem and Gloria also are perfect short ballets  that would be wonderful for MT dancers.   

Ashton - there is a huge wealth of ballets, all of which would be perfect for MT.  I have long wished to see the Mariinsky dancers with their fluidity and perfection of physique and line in the sublime simplicity of Monotones.  And Symphonic Variations and Scenes de BAllet also would be great.

And, to bring in family audiences, Jazz Calendar is amusing and Les Patineurs is also comedic and lovely choreography.  Even Tales of Beatrix Potter.   THESE are family ballets and not the truly awful Ratmansky Cinderella.

I truly despair when I look at some of the awful choices that are served up on the MT playbill - and not just once but over and over again.  Little Humpbacked Horse - WHY so many times in the season?  Same goes for Carmen Suite.  

Does NO-ONE at Mariinsky  Theatre ever listen to public opinion?  The answer is a Resounding NO.

#15 alexaa1a

alexaa1a

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

Honestly, there is only one significant ballerina role and one significant male role, so a dream cast does not really apply for this ballet, but it is a wonderful ballet for those two roles. Anyway, what is your dream cast for the DVD?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):