This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Angel Corella appointed AD of Pennsylvania Ballet

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#46 its the mom

its the mom

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:53 AM

Ettiene Diaz, who was hired this past fall, is Eddy's brother and Samantha's brother-in-law.  All in the family?

#47 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:32 AM

For some reason I thought AGMA had a prescribed time tor dancers to be hired. I thought all that took place in the Spring. How does it actually work then? Can a sudden replacement be made if a dancer quits? I guess AGMA would not want to ever make hiring a dancer difficult. It must be easier than say the POB's rules?

#48 its the mom

its the mom

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:54 AM

I am not sure.  I have skimmed through some of the AGMA contracts, but never looked into that before.  I know other AGMA companies have hired part way through the season.  

#49 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:30 AM

I think the standard contract has a renewal date in the spring (where either the company or the dancer can sever the relationship) but many companies have used variations on that template.  In the last few years, PNB has staggered promotions (some official from the beginning of the season and some later in the year), and has announced that a dancer will be joining the company in the autumn, but they will not actually start until later in the season.  Then there's the whole element of guest dancers -- they're not company members, but they do affect how members get cast.

I'm sure that there is some kind of emergency element in the standard contract -- dance is a risky undertaking, and if someone is injured part-way through the season, you can't always cover everything just by shuffling the existing performers.

#50 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,467 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:18 AM

The information is available from the AGMA website: Pennsylvania Ballet Contract 2013-2016.

There are three kinds of contracts:  guaranteed employment, by performance, and weekly. The employer has the option to extend the amount of weeks with proper notice, etc.  Dancers engaged at the beginning of the season on a guaranteed employment contract are guaranteed a certain number of weeks.  There's nothing that prevents a company from hiring outside this time, but if a dancer is hired after mid-February, the standard evaluation and contract process for the next season is impossible, and perhaps the company must hire the dancer on a weekly contract for the remainder of the season.

In the event the EMPLOYER replaces the then current Artistic Director each ARTIST employed by EMPLOYER at the time of such change shall be guaranteed reengagement at the ARTIST's current rank for the season immediately following such change.

As far as hiring family and friends, that's a long-standing tradition in ballet, in business in general, in college admissions (ie "legacy" students), etc.

#51 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:43 AM

'twas ever thus...     the hiring of family members, friends & lovers... there are examples throughout the history of ballet...

But it's better when the family member fills an opening, than when someone is let go to make room for the family member.  There are diplomatic ways of drawing on the talent resources of friends and family, and then there is what happened to Gribler, DeGregory, Hadley, Sheridan & Juska.

#52 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,467 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:58 PM

If you're talking about dancers, according to the contract, the intent to rehire for this season would have been while Kaiser still was AD, which was until the end of April: the mandatory evaluations were completed by mid-February, the intent to re-hire (or not) was communicated by 1 March, the dancers communicated their intent to accept (or not) by 1 April. The physical contracts were issued by 1 May and had to be assigned by 15 June.

Also according to the contract any dancers contracted when the AD change was made is entitled to stay the following season, which would be the current one. Administration would have to go through the normal contractual firing procedures to get rid a contracted dancer during the contract. That should mean that anyone under contract at the end of April was entitled to a contract for this season at the rank when the change was made, and if taken literally, this would mean dancers who were not re-upped by the old AD. I'm not sure whether this was the intent, but it could mitigate the impact of an embittered outgoing AD on a dancer's career and give him or her a chance under a new AD.

Staff is a different story and not covered by the AGMA contract.

#53 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:14 PM

Angel doesn't seem to be interested in diplomacy, based on the way things have gone down since he took over.

#54 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:20 PM

Jackson is a colleague with a very breezy style, but I thought this comment, from a member of the hiring committee, was quite interesting.

"Months before this decision, I asked one of the committee members if they’d consider someone like a William Forsythe; he told me, “We would not appoint a choreographer. We don’t want to see the ballet turn into someone’s playpen.”"

#55 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:53 PM

well, that's unsettling.  I have no objection to their final choice, but what if Ratmansky had applied? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):