• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:29 PM

I agree about the proximity to New York... NYers (& NY critics) tend not to come out (though they do more than in the last century). On the other hand, it is nice for the dancers to be so close... I think it might be easier to attract strong dancers to a place so close to the dance capital than say Kansas City (also a fine if smaller company). I think they did come out to see the Wheeldon spin on Swan Lake.

#32 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:13 PM

I suppose two categories I would use for roughly ranking would be AGMA contract (as opposed to just matching AGMA rates) and live orchestra.

Does Colorado Ballet use a live orchestra for most of its productions? I know some companies can only afford one for their Nutcracker. Ballet West seems like it might... remembering the sad new that they were no longer allowed to fire off blanks during their Nut, it seemed a big enough orchestra to be there for more than just Nut. I'd like to see a list breaking down the companies by live vs. canned music.

Colorado Ballet uses a live orchestra for everything except one weekend of four performances at the University of Denver Newman Center. Everything else is at the Caulkins Opera House in downtown Denver. Live music can be the first thing to go when a company has financial problems -- Ballet San Jose had to switch to recorded music this year after bringing in less than they expected from their last Nutcracker. The current iteration of LA Ballet uses recorded music and many performances are in school auditoriums at area colleges. And doesn't Washington Ballet use recorded music (except for Nutcracker) for its programs at the Eisenhower Theater at the Kennedy Center? I don't know about Ballet West, but with 40 dancers and six programs, live orchestra seems likely: http://www.balletwes...utUs/TheDancers

#33 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:24 PM

I suppose two categories I would use for roughly ranking would be AGMA contract (as opposed to just matching AGMA rates) and live orchestra.

AGMA has a list on their web site of companies with their contracts:
http://www.musicalar...ents_dance.html

#34 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:45 PM

Thanks. That's more or less what I was thinking... Some outliers but mostly in line... I'm sorry not to see Ballet Arizona on that list. And I shoukd have put Houston down, but trust me, I couldn't come up with the fifty states if asked to say them all off the top of my head...

Yeah, what is the deal with Minnesota? Is it just too cold to dance? :). Have always heard they have excellent arts funding...

Meanwhile, glad Corella will be in Philly.

#35 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:14 AM

Atlanta has a company that does some interesting programs -- a little more modern/contemporary and less neoclassical than I would like, but they have live music (at least usually when the scores are not mixes...am not sure about every Nutcracker) and this year danced Maillot and Ratmansky. In addition to Nutcracker, which I have never seen them dance, they do about five other programs a year, one of which is always a short program for children -- Snow White I think, at least this year -- plus some informal performances over the summer.

Topic? Atlanta ballet, too, began as a Balanchine satellite and tossed that legacy away completely, dancing no Balanchine at all for some years. I think it is unfortunate that they dance no Balanchine at all and am delighted to read Corella speaking so respectfully of Pennsylvania Ballet's legacy. I hope he has great success -- and that I get to see it!

#36 mira

mira

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:54 AM

originally posted by Paul Wegner on another site:

All U.S. dance companies with annual budgets of $2 million or more ranked by budget (in millions) at the end of fiscal year 2012.
Please let me know of any corrections.
* denotes AGMA affiliation

1. * New York City Ballet $66.2
2. * San Francisco Ballet $47.4
3. * American Ballet Theatre $40.2
4. * Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre $34.6
5. * Boston Ballet $28.4
6. * Houston Ballet $22.3
7. * Pacific Northwest Ballet $20.9
8.    Miami City Ballet $15.1
9. * Joffrey Ballet $14.4
10. * Pennsylvania Ballet $10.4
11. * Atlanta Ballet $9.1
12. * The Washington Ballet $9.0
13. * Kansas City Ballet $8.5
14. * Merce Cunningham Dance Company $8.4
15. * Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre $8.1
16. * Ballet West $7.0
17. Ballet Arizona $6.7
18. * Cincinnati Ballet $6.5
19. * Colorado Ballet $6.5
20. Paul Taylor Dance Company $6.4
21. * Milwaukee Ballet $6.3
22. Oregon Ballet Theatre $6.0
23. Mark Morris Dance Group $5.9
24. Pilobolus $5.8
25. Ballet Austin $5.8
26. * BalletMet Columbus $5.7
27. Carolina Ballet $5.7
28. * Ballet San Jose $5.5
29. * Tulsa Ballet Theatre $5.5
30. Texas Ballet Theatre $5.3
31. Richmond Ballet $5.1
32. * Ballet Hispanico $4.9
33. North Carolina Dance Theatre $4.7
34. Dance Theatre of Harlem $4.4
35. ODC Dance Company $4.3
36. Alonzo King's LINES Ballet $4.2
37. Nashville Ballet $3.8
38. Aspen Santa Fe Ballet $3.5
39. Louisville Ballet $3.4
40. * Martha Graham Center for Dance Education $3.3
41. Sarasota Ballet $3.3
42. Orlando Ballet $3.2
43. Ballet Memphis $3.2
44. Smuin Ballet $3.1
45. American Repertory Ballet $3.0
46. Nevada Ballet Theatre $2.8
47. STREB $2.7
48. Sacramento Ballet $2.7
49. Dallas Black Dance Theatre $2.6
50. Oklahoma City Ballet $2.3
51. Trisha Brown Company 2.3
52. Grand Rapids Ballet $2.3
53. Los Angeles Ballet $2.2
54. Trey McIntyre Project $2.2

#37 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:16 AM

Kaiser shepherded the PA Ballet back from the brink and beyond through some fiancially treacherous years... With Corella's fame and charisma may he attract some genrous patrons to boost the budget back up to par with the company's peers. Corella must have learned something keeping his company alive during Spain"s deep financial crisis. I suspect he is in posession of a better skill set for the task ahead than someone coming directly to PA Ballet from a more generous budget model.

#38 carterstephen

carterstephen

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:20 AM

I think that the Pennsylvania Ballet's "distinguished tradition," to quote Alastair Macaulay from his laudatory review last May, elevates the stature of the company at least in an intangible way.  Barbara Weisberger founded the company with the support and encouragement of Balanchine and Kirstein and generous grants from the Ford Foundation gave it stability in the early years.  More recently, Chris d'Amboise led the company through its dramatic and successful "Save the Ballet" campaign, so it has always had high-profile names associated with it.

#39 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:42 AM

off%20topic.gif I'm surprised to see San Francisco Ballet has a bigger budget than ABT.  As of right now, ABT has 90+ dancers, SFB around 70 (in fact, according to the current website listing, ABT's corps de ballet is nearly as big as SFB's entire company). 

Back on topic:  as a native Philly-ian who was there when PB was a start-up (I went to most of those early performances because a friend was dancing with the company), I've been thrilled over the years to see how they've grown. 

The last time a saw them was a lovely Swan lake about 20-odd years ago.  It was a big difference from those early days when the costumes looked like they came out of one of those catalogues for recital costumes, and a fair number of the dancers were still in high school.  I really hope this appointment bodes well for the future.

#40 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:50 AM

D'Amboise did some great things with the company... After d'Amboise, the Board then seemed to want a curator rather than a choreographer leading the company... Corella does not seem to have ambitions as a choreographer, and yet one still gets the sense that he wants to "make" something of PA Ballet.. it is inspiring...

#41 Kaysta

Kaysta

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:33 AM

PA ballet does use a live orchestra for performances (at least they did at the 3 performances I went to last year). But I also agree that folks who love ballet might go into NY instead of Philly, given the close proximity between the 2 cities. I definitely spent more time at ABT then PAB despite the fact that I live 15 minutes from the Academy of Music and 2 hours from the Met.

I am very excited about Corella, and think I'm going to get a full season for PAB this year.

#42 Silks

Silks

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:03 AM

Looks like Angel is cleaning house.  I thought his quotes were a little weird; his reasoning for his hires seem much more about personal connections and being "comfortable" rather than experience.  Jeffrey Gribler was very loved at PA Ballet; he'll be missed.

http://articles.phil...s-tamara-hadley

Edit: oops, realized there's an open topic in News

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):