This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Fall For Dance 2014 at NY City Center

So far no info on what companies will be presented. However, the City Center website indicates that the Festival will run from Oct 8-Oct 19, 2014, and tickets will go on sale Sept. 14 at 11 AM.

I'm sure the festival will sell out, as it does every year. However, it has traditionally been in Sept. This year they have moved it to October, which causes a direct conflict with the NYCB Fall season.

Unless they have Bolshoi, Mariinsky, RB, POB, RDB and O&V on the roster with full orchestra, otherwise, I am not going to be bothered. I guess the time slot precludes ABT and NYCB from participating. It's a pain in the @$$ to get tickets, those who scored ticket didn't bother to show up because the tickets were so ridiculously cheap. They need a new pricing scheme.

I've seen NYCB and ABT sometimes perform at FFD. It's usually just a pdd, not a complete ballet with a big cast. It is a pain to get tickets, The whole point of the festival is to keep the prices cheap so that people who normally can't afford to attend a dance performance can afford the prices. Actually, they raised the prices last year, I think from $10 to $15. By the time you're done paying the handling and facility fees, the price really isn't that much higher than buying the cheeapest price level at the NYCB box office (avoid handling fee).

The whole point of the festival is to keep the prices cheap so that people who normally can't afford to attend a dance performance can afford the prices.

Another FFD objective is to showcase the diversity of dance. Your typical FFD program presents four short-to-shortish works from wildly different genres and traditions. The program I saw last year featured India's Nrityagram performing Odissi classical dance (the only work done to live music), a neo-classical ballet (DTH's "Gloria" with a full complement of principals, soloists, and corps), an urban-inflected contemporary troupe (Vancouver's 605 Collective), and a dollop of late 80s / early 90s European Contemporary (Mats Eks' "Light Beings"). FFD is always careful to program at least one major company, performer, or active choreographer in every program as well as artists who are likely to be less well known, even to dance aficionados.

But lordy the ticketing process is a royal pain.

The whole point of the festival is to keep the prices cheap so that people who normally can't afford to attend a dance performance can afford the prices.

Another FFD objective is to showcase the diversity of dance. Your typical FFD program presents four short-to-shortish works from wildly different genres and traditions.

FFD is always careful to program at least one major company, performer, or active choreographer in every program as well as artists who are likely to be less well known, even to dance aficionados.

But lordy the ticketing process is a royal pain.

Ticketing does sound Byzantine, but I've always been impressed with their programming strategy. I wish we saw more of these kinds of mixed bills.

Absolutely agree about Trisha Brown -- the company is in the middle of their farewell tours, and the house will be holding their breath through the whole thing.

I'd add October 8-9 with Black Grace (New Zealand company, hybridizing South Pacific dance styles with contemporary dance structures), Russell Maliphant, San Francisco Ballet, and Mark Morris.

(If I were in NYC, I'd add them all, but your mileage may vary)

Poor Semperoper Ballett Dresden bringing Forsythe, after the trashing his work got by the NY critics reviewing Boston Ballet!

I'm very curious about this performance -- PNB is also doing Neue Suite this year, but I'm under the impression that each company may be getting a specific combination of excerpts. This may be one way of dealing with distributing his repertory now that he's shifted affiliations.

I saw this Fall for Dance. Really, for me Mark Morris' new work "Words" was the only piece worth seeing on the program. It was quirky, funny, joyous & (of course) musical. The music was by Mendelssohn and live, which really helped. The 16 or so dancers wear brightly colored cotton shorts & t shirts. An ongoing theme is a square piece of cloth that a few dancers carry across the stage and that announces the arrival or departure of other dancers. There is a lot of pairing off in twos and threes. There are skips, hip thrusts and graham style open arms at the end. In short, inventive and enjoyable.

Black Grace I really didn't like but ethnic dancing is just not my thing. The San Francisco ballet offering -Hans van Manen's Variations for Two Couples- would be utterly forgettable were it not for the wonderful Sofiane Sylve (paired with Luke Ingham. The other couple was Vanessa Zahorian and Carlos Quenedit). The Russell Maliphant piece "Two x Two" for Yuan yuan Tan and Fang-Yi Sheu was slightly better but also basically forgettable.

This program was worse than the one at the Delacorte one month ago. Generally, I feel the quality of programs in Fall for Dance has been declining over the past several years. It's too bad because it's a great concept. But if you get one small piece you like in an evening, you're lucky.