This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Hello from Cleveland!

Hello!

My name is Emily, and I'm a college student from the Cleveland area (originally from here, go to college about 45 minutes away), and I study geology (as evidenced by the username). I'm no longer a dancer (was for about 10 years but never very seriously) but will be starting ballet again in the fall. My main interests in ballet come as a serious fan. I don't get as much ballet here as I would like (Cleveland Ballet is no longer here, we only have a few small contemporary companies). The company I have the most interest in (by far) would be New York City Ballet. I saw them at Lincoln Center this past spring season and again last weekend at SPAC.

I am also involved with a local organization called Ballet in Cleveland which is dedicated to bringing classical ballet dancers to Cleveland! This October we are having the Ashley Bouder Project where she and some fellow NYCB principals are coming to Cleveland to perform.

I've been a lurker on Ballet Alert for awhile but just now registered!

I have a Cleveland question. For many years, I know Wilma Salisbury covered the dance beat for the Plain Dealer -- can you tell me who's writing about dance in Cleveland now?

It doesn't seem that this is covered by one person any more. Looking at the website, it seems that who writes about dance depends on where that article appears (i.e. things to do, music and dance, etc). Zachary Lewis appears to write for dance articles that appear in the Music and Dance section. His bio lists him as a music critic, but he apparently covers the whole category, likely because it is almost all music and no dance (due to the Cleveland Orchestra). Donald Rosenberg has written some dance articles as well.