This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

On-line broadcast of Gayaneh

According to the Mariinsky website there will be an on-line broadcast of the ballet Gayaneh. However, it will not be the Mariinsky dancers. It is the State Academic Opera and Ballet Theater of Armenia guesting at the Mariinsky and performing Gayaneh.

They are performing it on July 22 and 23 but the broadcast is on July 23. Here is the info and you can find a synopsis of the ballet on the Mariinsky's site when you click on July 23's Gayaneh.

PERFORMERS:
Conductor: Karen Durgaryan
The Mariinsky Orchestra

Gayane: Syuzanna Pirumyan
Armen: Sevak Avetisyan
Giko: Armen Gevorgyan
Nuneh: Zhakelina Sarkhoshyan
Karen: Garik Babelyan

CREDITS:
Music by Aram Khachaturian
Libretto by Vilen Galstyan
Musical Director and Principal Conductor: Karen Durgaryan
Choreographer: Vilen Galstyan
Set Designer: Minas Avetisyan
Costume Designer: Roubina Hovhannisyan

Performance running time: 2 hours 20 minutes
There will be two intervals

I just finished watching it and enjoyed it. Gayane is sort of a union of folk dancing and ballet. It certainly had a lot of acrobatics for the male corps and soloists. A few moments had modern dance (like the end of Act 1 where the 3 main characters dance together. During the second intermission it sounded like the two people interviewed were arguing over something. Did anyone catch it and can explain what they were saying in general?

Overall, a fun time, but it will never be in my Top 10 ballets.

I forgot to mention that the villain in the ballet was played by a guy who was a little hunched over in the shoulders. I am not used to seeing that. Maybe he did this for interpretation, but his posture was annoying to me even though he did some exciting moves.