This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

“Who is to dance at Mariinsky?”(Merged with general discussion of the subject)

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#31 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:46 PM

Many thanks, both of you

#32 Amy

Amy

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:23 AM

Just out of curiosity, how many years was Skorik in the corps de ballet for before Fateyev starting giving her all those principal roles?

Because I know that Yulia Stepanova had been in the the corps de ballet for about 3 years before making her Lilac Fairy début in December 2012 and Maria Shirinkina was in the corps de ballet for 5 years before she was promoted to second soloist in 2011, which was also the year her husband, Vladimir Shklyarov was promoted to principal.

Anyone know how long Skorik was in the corps de ballet for?

#33 elianam

elianam

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:08 AM

It seems that there is no official information to be found about the circumstances in which Skorik joined the MT. Information on her wikipedia page shows that she joined in 2007 as a coryphee, but previous discussions on this forum show that her name did not appear on the MT website until 2008, and I cannot remember if she was listed as coryphee or corp de ballet at the time. A youtube video of her debut in Queen of Dryad (seem to be her first significant solo part in the company) was published in June of 2009 and this seems to be the performance on June 14 in 2009 (http://www.mariinsky...09/6/14/1_1900/). And on July 10 in 2009 of the same year she danced Lilac Fairy. This also seems to be a debut as I cannot find earlier she was not listed in that role in earlier Sleeping Beauty performances according to the archive of the MT website. Her O/O debut was in May of 2011 with Askerov but before that she danced with Korsuntsev in a gala. It was around the same time when she was promoted to second soloist, but I cannot remember correctly which month. She stayed there for less than a season before advancing to first soloist.

Under Vaziev she was receiving minor solo parts along with a number of Vaganova graduates, but it was under Fateyev that she started to receive, and continuously, big parts, one after another.

Shirinkina seems to be promoted together with Maria Chugai and a number of young dancers to coryphee before Vaziev left the company. And she was getting more opportunities in her first seasons with the company (such as one of the fairies in 3rd Act Sleeping Beauty in her first season, shown in the New Year's Eve gala) than Stepanova, Batoeva and the like. This is difficult to comment on this, however, because during Vaziev's time young dancers were having more opportunities in general.

#34 alexaa1a

alexaa1a

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:17 AM

Just out of curiosity, how many years was Skorik in the corps de ballet for before Fateyev starting giving her all those principal roles?

Because I know that Yulia Stepanova had been in the the corps de ballet for about 3 years before making her Lilac Fairy début in December 2012 and Maria Shirinkina was in the corps de ballet for 5 years before she was promoted to second soloist in 2011, which was also the year her husband, Vladimir Shklyarov was promoted to principal.

Anyone know how long Skorik was in the corps de ballet for?

For the 2006/2007 Vaganova year, Vaganova added an extra year to their required graduation policies, so girls like Anastasia Nikitina did not graduate in 2007 but in 2008.  Niktiina is  4 months younger than Oxana Skorik, who graduated in Perm in 2007, shortly after reaching age 18. Makhar Vaziev was Mariinsky ACTING ballet director in 2007 and hired Skorik as corps de ballet girl.

In June 2008, Fateyev replaced Vaziev as acting ballet director. Under Vaziev, Skorik had danced nothing , except corps de ballet work in her one year under Vaziev. On March 5, 2009, during Fateyev's first full season as Mariinsky acting ballet director, Fateyev gave Skorik, her first solo role, as Monna in Giselle. Fateyev has shown that few debuts take place at Mariinsky in a  season, but when they do, he will give several debuts in the same performance, as he did on March 5, when Anastasia Petushkova made her Myrtha debut. Petushkova was a 2006 Vaganova graduate coryphee, dancing Myrtha to corps de ballet Skroik's Monna debut. Petushkova's path has kept her as a coryphee and only Gamzatti among her classical solo roles, although Zarema is important.

From Skorik's Monna debut in her first season under Fateyev, soon Bayadere 3rd shade and Swan Lake two swans were added to her resume. On June 14, 2009, three months after her Monna debut, Skorik danced her first significant role as Queen of the Dryads in Don Quixote. That performance was filmed by a  Russian and fragments of it are shown on Youtube , including Skorik's full Dryad solo.

One month later, Fateyev was so impressed with Skorik's Queen of Dryad, that he gave her the role of Lilac Fairy on July 10, 2009. She finished her first season under Fateyev and second season at Mariinsky, by adding these solo roles to her resume, Lilac Fairy, Queen of Dryads, 3rd Shade, Monna, Two Swans.

It is interesting that Skorik made her Lilac fairy debut shortly after turning 20 years old in her second season. Skorik was born in April 1989 and Stepanova was born in October 1989, but Stepanova graduated at Vaganova two years after Skorik graduated at Perm. Stepanova had rave reviews for her Lilac Fairy performance in the complete prologue program of the 2009 Vaganova graduation ceremonies. Skorik made her Mariinsky Lilac Fairy debut, one month after Stepanova's Vaganova Lilac Fairy performance. Ballet fans and ballet critics impressed by Stepanova's Lilac fairy, expected her to perform that role early in her Mariinsky career, but as you stated, her debut was in December 2012, in her fourth season at Mariinsky at age 23, three years older than when Skorik made her Mariinsky Lilac fairy debut.

In Skorik's 2nd season under Fateyev and 3rd Mariinsky season, she performed Lilac Fairy in  the Kenendy Center in 2 different performance during the Mariinsky Sleeping Beauty week in February 2010, when Washington received it's worst snowstorm ever. In the Kennedy Canter programs, two ballerinas made their Princess Florine debut, Maya Dumchenko, who had danced Aurora many times, plus Skorik. In the 2010 Mariinsky festival Sleeping Beauty, Skorik danced her first significant Mariinsky festival solo role, as Princess Florine, a role which she had danced at Kennedy Center in February.

On July 6, 2010, Skorik danced her first major role as Giselle and once again Petushkova was Myrtha, so their positions had changed drastically in one year.

She ended her 2nd season under Fateyev with two new additions, Florine and the very important Giselle.

On May 14, 2011, Skorik made her Odette/Odile debut, seven days before the other Perm ballerina, Maria Shirinkina, made her Juliet debut on May 21. Like Lilac Fairy, Skorik was three years ahead of similar aged, Yulia Stepanova, who has yet to dance these important classical roles danced by Skorik, Giselle, Nikiya, Kitri, Raymonda, Medora, and Masha in Nutcracker. Also, four years have passed since Skorik's first good classical solo role , Florine, in the Mariinsky Festival. Now her Mariinsky festival classical full length ballet resume includes in order, Florine (in only Sleeping Beauty of 2010 and only Sleeping Beauty at Mariinsky Festival in 2011, last one performed at Festival), Queen of Dryads (2011, 2013), Nikiya (2013). Odette/Odile (2014). Yulia Stepanova's Mariinsky Festival  classical full length ballet resume is completely empty with not one classical role danced at Mariinsky Festival. 

#35 Mathilde K

Mathilde K

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:08 AM

Vaziev's wife, Olga Chenchikova, graduated from Perm. This is the likely reason why Vaziev took the graduates from Perm, Shirinkina, then Skoryk. If Skoryk indeed was already given solo parts under Vaziev, then she must have arrived in 2007, since at the end of May of 2008, Fateev was appointed the Acting Director.

He extended his care over the two Permians from the start. The fact that Skoryk for her Swan lake Adagio debut was given the most dependable partner (Korsuntsev), is a good indication of Fateev's intentions re. Skoryk. In comparison, he deprived Stepanova of the opportunity to try herself in the Pas de deux and variations from the «Swan Lake» before her debut. Then made her debut doubly difficult by giving her an inexperienced debutant as her partner.

Even more telling is the list of the soloists selected by Fateev for that Brilliant Divertissement gala (Dec 2, 2010) where Skoryk was dancing the Swan Lake Adagio with Korsuntsev:

Lopatkina, Novikova, Tereshkina, Kolegova, Kondaurova and... Shirinkina, Skoryk — nobody else.

#36 Amy

Amy

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:01 AM

It seems that there is no official information to be found about the circumstances in which Skorik joined the MT. Information on her wikipedia page shows that she joined in 2007 as a coryphee, but previous discussions on this forum show that her name did not appear on the MT website until 2008, and I cannot remember if she was listed as coryphee or corp de ballet at the time.

Hmmm, that's a bit odd regarding there's no information as to how Skorik joined the company.

Although, I've read that Maria Shirinkina is more or less down in Perm Ballet School history because she was the first student from the school to be immediately accepted into the Mariinsky after graduation. And she was dancing roles like one of the Jewel Fairies in Sleeping Beauty during her first season? Well that's not too bad; those sort of minor roles are acceptable for young corps de ballet members and coryphees. I do know that she was dancing the role of Diana in The Awakening of Flora in her second season; the 2008 recording of The Awakening of Flora with Ekaterina Osmolkina as Flora features a young Maria Shirinkina as Diana. She was either just 20 or 21 at the time and she did have two very slight wobbles, but nothing too serious and nothing that affected the performance. She was certainly more fortunate than Ekaterina Petina, who danced Hebe in that same performance because unfortunately at one point during the performance, Petina actually fell off pointe.

In fact if you haven't seen it, here's the performance here, but watch it for the ballet, not the performance of the dancers. This ballet is an absolute masterpiece! I love it! And keep an eye out for the billy goat; he gives a great performance lol.

Now I don't know if this was during Vaziev or Fateyev's era - I assume it was Vaziev's era seeing as how Fateyev hates reconstructions. And I have to say that in terms of what Fateyev has been doing to the dancers, the way he's been messing them around, it is really bad management. He said he was aiming to bring in the new generation of dancers and if that's true, that's very noble of him, but he's been completely going about it the wrong way. You do not give dancers certain roles before they're technically ready, you just don't! And you don't promote certain dancers because they're your favourite nor do you leave very talented dancers in the lower ranks, especially the ones who should be principals!

#37 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:24 AM

Amy, Shirinkina danced Amor in the Mariinsky Festival Don Quixote in 2007 with Osipova/Sarafanov in her first season. 

#38 Amy

Amy

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

Amy, Shirinkina danced Amor in the Mariinsky Festival Don Quixote in 2007 with Osipova/Sarafanov in her first season. 

Oh right and did you see that performance?

Oh and btw Bart, how are you doing now in terms of your injury? You feeling any better?

#39 elianam

elianam

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

Good news: Kristina Shapran is now First Soloist with the Mariinsky. Congratulations for her!

But in my opinion, this is so not fair for Vasnetsova, Adzhamova, Nikitina, Stepanova, Batoeva, Krasnokutskaya, and Marchuk. I wonder if Fateyev placed her only because of her fame, because he would not even hire Shapran as coryphee or second soloist 3 years ago.

Does it mean that every Vaganova top graduate in the future should join Bolshoi as a soloist, or join a secondary theatre to be a  principal, before they come back to Mariinsky qualified to be soloist?

#40 Mathilde K

Mathilde K

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

Good news: Kristina Shapran is now First Soloist with the Mariinsky. Congratulations for her! (...)

The first dramatic result of the appearance of the article perhaps? A few days ago she was Coryphée.

#41 elianam

elianam

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:28 PM

Hopefully it is so and a sign of change of policy. I am still praying for the promotion of Stepanova and of other competent dancers.

#42 Amy

Amy

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:45 PM

As am I and if someone was to replace Fateyev any time soon, I actually keep wondering if it would be ideal to demote Askerov and Skorik back the corps de ballet so they can start again from scratch and rework their ways up the ranks fairly this time.

#43 elianam

elianam

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:46 PM

At the very least Yulia deserves to be Second Soloist by now, and she has already contributed so much to the theatre, no less than several principals, not only just with her exceptional talent. But since Bondareva's placement is not announced yet, the names of the new comers is also not updated, I wonder it takes time to enter information on the website. If Stepanova is indeed to be taken to London, there should be promotion sooner or later.

#44 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:55 AM

There are several videos online of Shapran at the Stanislavsky, and also of a quite recent Giselle at the Mikhailovsky, but I have to say I'm not very impressed. Of course, when looking at the videos of her Vaganova exams, the potential is certainly there, but it unfortunately doesn't really show imo.

#45 Mathilde K

Mathilde K

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:32 PM

To put certain facts in a proper perspective: Yulia Stepanova's repeat «Swan Lake» was the 40th «Swan Lake» danced by Mariinsky this season! Twenty two were danced when Mariinsky was touring abroad (5 Italy, 3 China, 3 Germany, 4 Denmark, 7 USA), 4 were performed on the new stage, and 14 at the old Mariinsky Theater.

Stepanova danced 2 and, if I am not mistaken, she was the only Mariinsky ballerina and a Vaganova graduate who graduated in the last 10 years and was allowed by Fateev to dance any of these 40 «Swan Lakes»! Truly mind boggling.

After the London tour one will be able to say that exactly 3 out of 49 most recent Mariinsky «Swan Lakes» were danced by a Mariinsky ballerina who graduated from the Vaganova Academy after 2003, and that unique and uniquely "privileged" by the management ballerina was Yulia Stepanova.

So, yes, I agree with canbelto, "her career is exactly where it should be", the article is nothing more than "yellow journalism" and "a Stepanova claque diatribe", while its author "sounds like a well-paid off critic".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):