This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Yulia Stepanova's «Swan Lake» · A special announcement

As has been announced less than 24 hours ago, Yulia Stepanova will be replacing Olga Esina on August 2, 2014. Yuri Fateev, however, simultaneously removed Yulia without any justifiable reason from her own «Swan Lake» depriving hundreds of persons who specifically bought tickets for the August 5 performance from seeing Stepanova since the August 2 Matinée performance has been sold out long ago.

Anybody who bought the tickets for the August 5 «Swan Lake» hoping to see Stepanova should send without delay a telegram requesting that Yulia Stepanova be reinstated on August 5, 2014. It will help your cause if you mention that you are writing on behalf of many balletomanes who planned their visit to London and paid for the air travel and the ticket to see Stepanova.

The telegram should be addressed as follows:

ТЕАТРАЛЬНАЯ ПЛОЩАДЬ

МАРИИНСКИЙ ТЕАТР

ДИРЕКЦИЯ

ДЛЯ ЗАВЕДУЮЩЕГО БАЛЕТНОЙ ТРУППЫ, ФАТЕЕВА Ю.В.

Saint Petersburg, Russia

One can also try sending the petition to reinstate Yulia Stepanova's «Swan Lake» on August 5 to:

Natalia Kozhevnikova
PR manager of the Mariinsky theatre
Tel: +7 812 714 4164
Fax: +7 812 314 17 44

natakozh@mariinsky.ru

Remember to tell in your message that you are contacting the Mariinsky Ballet management because hundreds of balletomanes who specifically planned their trip to London, had paid for the travel and the ticket to see her in «Swan Lake», are now deprived of seeing her since the Parish performance has been sold out long ago.

Senior critics may be able to request tickets for her matinee performance as I think it is important she gets reviewed. This will be the performance out of town balletomanes will go to as many British cities aren't served by train services after about 9pm, it won't just be full of families with kids.

This is degusting I like many others booked specially to see Yulia. I have no interest whatsoever in seeing Somova.If there is no real reason such as illness, injury or personal reasons. It is very disappointing. The Artistic staff have a lot to answer for and the audience should be listened to after all we provide their financial resources. Perhaps we should also lobby the sponsors.

I also feel cheated, but I'm afraid not much can be done at this point. Alina Somova has probably already been rehearsing with Konstantin Zverev, and I don't think Stepanova can rehearse this entire ballet with a new partner in just a week. (Or is that possible? I have no clue how long it takes to prepare a full-length ballet)

Yulia did say on Instagram she is not performing any other roles in Swan Lake, but that probably means that from 3rd August on she's rehearsing Firebird.

I am so incredibly disappointed, I've been feeling bad about this since it's been made public. But I guess I'll just make the best of it, and enjoy the (surely wonderful) performance that Alina Somova and the Mariinsky corps de ballet will give us..

I am feeling pretty sick about Miss Somovo taking over the performance, I really do not like her at all, There are so many better alternatives who could have been chosen. I am only going with a close friend who has always wanted to see Swan Lake, it would not have been my choice. Having experienced it for years when working with The Royal Ballet and other visiting companies I could have seen something different. Oh well that's life I suppose. I have poste

d a message on the Mariinsky Facebook page.

I also feel cheated, but I'm afraid not much can be done at this point. Alina Somova has probably already been rehearsing with Konstantin Zverev, and I don't think Stepanova can rehearse this entire ballet with a new partner in just a week. (Or is that possible? I have no clue how long it takes to prepare a full-length ballet)

Stepanova should be dancing with Parish twice: that would be great for the Mariinsky troupe and Londoners would absolutely love it.

Stepanova should be dancing with Parish twice: that would be great for the Mariinsky troupe and Londoners would absolutely love it.

Yes, of course we British are looking forward to seeing Xander and Yulia, but Zverev for me is the best prince in the company - he has great magnetism on stage, fine technique, good partnering and wonderful acting. Yulia was to have danced with him on 5th August. It's a great shame that London cannot see this performance.

That's what I'm holding onto as well, I have not much interest in seeing Xander Parish, and am very curious to see Konstantin Zverev dance next week.

Edit: however, I would prefer seeing Stepanova dancing with Parish over Zverev-Somova.

I am seeing the SOmova Zverev performance also and am absolutely delighted! I saw Zverev's Siegfried in St Petersburg and not only is he a magnificent dancer, but he totally breathes life into the character of the prince. He has amazing presence on stage. He and Somova together are a magnificent pairing!

does anyone know where Yulia Stepanova is dancing now? or why she left the Marinsky?

I'm catching up on this thread late. Wow, I had no idea Yulia left although I can think of many reasons why she would. Did her husband Kamil leave as well?

Ok, looked at Yulia's Facebook page. As best I can make out, both Yulia and Kamil have left the Mariinsky and are temporarily dancing with the Kremlin Ballet. We'll see if they stay there.

This happened a while back - two or three months ago - when she won the new Taglioni Prix in Berlin. At that time it was thought that she & husband might be joining a German company but now it appears that they've surfaced as colleagues of Joy Womack at the Kremlin! Best of luck to Julia & Kamil in their new home!

This happened a while back - two or three months ago - when she won the new Taglioni Prix in Berlin. At that time it was thought that she & husband might be joining a German company but now it appears that they've surfaced as colleagues of Joy Womack at the Kremlin! Best of luck to Julia & Kamil in their new home!

Yulia and Kamil have not signed any contract with the Kremlin Ballet, and do not appear on its roster, although they appeared as guest artistes in Firebird.

Yulia and Kamil have not signed any contract with the Kremlin Ballet, and do not appear on its roster, although they appeared as guest artistes in Firebird.

A short gig is better than no gig. :)