This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

2014 Nutcracker BAM Season

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

I would definitely go see Gomes in Bourne's Swan Lake! May be the only male that could rival the power and seductiveness of Adam Cooper, imo. Re Nutcracker - I too am disappointed not the see a repeat of the magic that was Part/Gomes last year. As much as I love Abrera, due to the casting of her partner and if I only could choose one performance, I'd opt for Lane/Gorak. I hope Hammoudi is sufficiently healed by then to be able to tackle the tricky partnering challenges. When I saw Tamm several years ago as a replacement for Hallberg, he had some difficulties.

#17 Golden Idol

Golden Idol

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

Yes, I saw Adam Cooper many years ago, and he was a sensation. BUT! That Bourne Swan takes one absolutely terrific idea--all-male swans, sexually ambiguous prince devolving into madness--and drowns it in a mess of vulgar cavortings and puerile sight gags. And yes, I know, I'm so utterly in the minority; at the City Center revival a few years back I must have been the only person not only not clapping, but scowling in sheer dismay. So you see, a Bourne Swan with Marcelo would cut no ice with me at all. However, if it kicked his career up a notch, and somehow turned him into the international household word he deserves to be, then more power to him. He won't care that I didn't buy a ticket.

#18 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

Also interesting that casting has been announced for Nutcracker but still not for the Fall season.

That's been standard in recent years.  Fall season casting always comes extremely (and annoyingly) late.

#19 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:53 PM

I hope Hammoudi is sufficiently healed by then to be able to tackle the tricky partnering challenges. When I saw Tamm several years ago as a replacement for Hallberg, he had some difficulties.

Unfortunately, with Hammoudi, I don't think it's just the injuries.  He doesn't seem to have the technique to manage a principal role.  Disappointing, as I had hopes that he could advance.

#20 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:46 PM

Yes, I saw Adam Cooper many years ago, and he was a sensation. BUT! That Bourne Swan takes one absolutely terrific idea--all-male swans, sexually ambiguous prince devolving into madness--and drowns it in a mess of vulgar cavortings and puerile sight gags. And yes, I know, I'm so utterly in the minority; at the City Center revival a few years back I must have been the only person not only not clapping, but scowling in sheer dismay. So you see, a Bourne Swan with Marcelo would cut no ice with me at all. However, if it kicked his career up a notch, and somehow turned him into the international household word he deserves to be, then more power to him. He won't care that I didn't buy a ticket.

Golden Idol, can't say I disagree with you but I'd still buy a ticket to see Gomes in this. blushing.gif

#21 Golden Idol

Golden Idol

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:08 AM

Aww, Barbara, you just wanna see Marcelo in those feathered pants and bare-chested, yes? Don't blush: these are not inconsiderable pleasures!

#22 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:27 PM

Box office opens 8/18 Mon.

I am also disappointed that Part and Gomes are not in the roster for the BAM season.

#23 Tapfan

Tapfan

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:52 AM

...... Marcelo in those feathered pants and bare-chested, yes? 

The thought of Marcelo bare-chested is lovely.  But those feathered pants aren't flattering on anyone.  They make even lean, and very fit young men look like they have birthing hips. 

#24 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

...... Marcelo in those feathered pants and bare-chested, yes? 

The thought of Marcelo bare-chested is lovely.  But those feathered pants aren't flattering on anyone.  They make even lean, and very fit young men look like they have birthing hips. 

As they say, your mileage may vary -- I've always thought those costumes were stunning.

#25 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:59 AM

The Nutcracker mailing I received today from ABT indicates several times that this will be the "FINAL PERFORMANCES ever in New York City of Alexis Ratmansky's acclaimed The Nutcracker."

I am (1) sad to hear that they will (apparently) never do this version here again and (2) surprised at the degree of assurance with which they say this.  (Obviously this is in part a marketing move, but it seems there must be something substantial behind it.)

I knew this was the end of the 5-year BAM run, and I supposed there were no concrete plans to bring it back to the area in coming years, but I didn't know they had decided against even the possibility of doing so at any point in the future.

#26 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

Yes, I was surprised too by the finality of ABT's statement that this will never be performed again in NY.  I thought they would give it a hiatus of 5 years, and maybe bring it back later.  The finality suggests that ABT's version got clobbered at the box office by the competition from NYCB.

#27 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

I was also surprised by the irrevocable tone of those mailings, but there is always the marketing flip side called "back by popular demand."

#28 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:58 PM

I wonder whether ABT has pitched this Nutcracker to the National Arts Centre in Ottawa. Like the Kennedy Center, it presents a different production each year. Since there are really only four Canadian productions big enough to fill its opera house, American companies make the occasional appearance, too. If memory serves, a couple of years ago it was Pennsylvania Ballet which did Nutcracker duty. The ballet is usually presented the first week of December, because the productions have to be shipped back home for their usual runs. But since ABT's won't have a New York home anymore, the ballet could be presented closer to Christmas. It could be an (occasional) option if the Segerstrom arrangement were ever to fall through.

#29 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:07 AM

From the company:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE OFFERS “VIP SWEET SEATS” FOR ALL PERFORMANCES OF THE NUTCRACKER AT

THE BAM HOWARD GILMAN OPERA HOUSE

TICKET PACKAGE INCLUDES PREMIUM SEATS, GIFT BAGS AND MORE

VIP SWEET SEATS will be offered for each of the 13 performances of American Ballet Theatre’s The Nutcracker at the BAM Howard Gilman Opera House, December 12-21, 2014.  The VIP SWEET SEAT package includes premium front orchestra or front mezzanine performance seating and a commemorative souvenir program and holiday gift bag.  In addition, the package includes pre-performance and intermission access to the Natman Room at BAM, where ticketholders will meet a Nutcracker character in costume prior to the performance.  

The Nutcracker, set to a score by Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky, features choreography by ABT Artist in Residence Alexei Ratmansky, scenery and costumes by Richard Hudson and lighting by Jennifer Tipton. This production was given its World Premiere at the BAM Howard Gilman Opera House on December 23, 2010.

American Ballet Theatre’s 2014 season of The Nutcracker will be the final

New York performances of the ballet at the BAM Howard Gilman Opera House.  

VIP SWEET SEATS for American Ballet Theatre’s The Nutcracker, priced at $185-$195, can be purchased in person at the BAM box office, by phone at

718-636-4100 or online at www.bam.org.  The BAM box office is located in the Peter Jay Sharp Building at 30 Lafayette Avenue, Brooklyn, New York.  For more information, please visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org.

David H. Koch is the Lead Underwriter of American Ballet Theatre’s The Nutcracker.

Linda Allard is the Original Underwriting Sponsor of costumes for The Nutcracker.

Joan Taub Ades and Alan M. Ades, the Susan and Leonard Feinstein Foundation, and Brian and Darlene Heidtke are Co-Underwriting Sponsors of The Nutcracker.

A gift as Co-Underwriting Sponsor of costumes for The Nutcracker has been provided in loving memory of Ellen Everett Kimiatek.

Lisa and Dick Cashin, Linda and Martin Fell, and Ruth and Harold Newman are 

Co-Underwriting Partners of The Nutcracker.

ABT’s The Nutcracker is generously supported through an endowed gift from The Toni and Martin Sosnoff New Works Fund.

Additional support has been provided by Ed Fox, Theresa Khawly, The Rockefeller Brothers Fund and The National Endowment for the Arts.

American Airlines is the Official Airline of American Ballet Theatre.

Northern Trust is the Leading Corporate Sponsor of the American Ballet Theatre Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School.

ABT is supported, in part, with public funds from the National Endowment for the Arts; the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature; and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, in partnership with the City Council.

#30 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:23 AM

Doesn't NYCB call their special seat packages "Sweet Seats"?  Has ABT just copied from NYCB?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):