Music from Cinderella...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Vonnie_*

Guest_Vonnie_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 14 January 2002 - 11:29 PM

Is anyone familiar with a "Four Seasons" part in the Cinderella ballet, and what the music is like?

#2 Melissa

Melissa

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 January 2002 - 08:52 AM

The 'Four Seasons' is featured in Act I. In the Ashton staging of the ballet, it consists of solos for 4 ballerinas (Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter) and features some of the most beautiful music in Prokofiev's score. What else would you like to know?

#3 Guest_Vonnie_*

Guest_Vonnie_*

Posted 15 January 2002 - 04:43 PM

Thanks Melissa. Do you know if it is available on C.D? Also, are the dances to this music all variations or is there corps de ballet participation?

#4 Melissa

Melissa

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 January 2002 - 04:56 PM

In the Ashton production, which is the only one I've seen, the dances are all variations.

There are numerous recordings of 'Cinderella' available. The entire score is gorgeous, so I urge you to buy the complete version. The recording by Andre Previn conducting the London Symphony Orchestra is very beautiful and it's the one I own. Here's the link for the CD set on the Tower Records website. Enjoy :-).

http://www.towerreco...sp?pfid=1105160

#5 Ann

Ann

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 January 2002 - 06:24 PM

Is it just me? I have always thought that Prokofiev must have been in a very gloomy mood when he composed the score for Cinderella - I find it almost sinister, and quite unsuitable
for a sugar-spun fairy story like Cinderella.

But there you go - it's all down to personal taste again.

#6 Miss

Miss

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 January 2002 - 07:15 AM

ok, most of the scenario involves child abuse and loneliness! It is a dark story until the end.

I LOVE the strike of midnight music. It sends chills up my spine.

Miss

#7 Guest_Vonnie_*

Guest_Vonnie_*

Posted 16 January 2002 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for the helpful info~!! biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):