This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Music from Cinderella...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Vonnie_*

Guest_Vonnie_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 14 January 2002 - 11:29 PM

Is anyone familiar with a "Four Seasons" part in the Cinderella ballet, and what the music is like?

#2 Melissa

Melissa

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 January 2002 - 08:52 AM

The 'Four Seasons' is featured in Act I. In the Ashton staging of the ballet, it consists of solos for 4 ballerinas (Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter) and features some of the most beautiful music in Prokofiev's score. What else would you like to know?

#3 Guest_Vonnie_*

Guest_Vonnie_*

Posted 15 January 2002 - 04:43 PM

Thanks Melissa. Do you know if it is available on C.D? Also, are the dances to this music all variations or is there corps de ballet participation?

#4 Melissa

Melissa

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 January 2002 - 04:56 PM

In the Ashton production, which is the only one I've seen, the dances are all variations.

There are numerous recordings of 'Cinderella' available. The entire score is gorgeous, so I urge you to buy the complete version. The recording by Andre Previn conducting the London Symphony Orchestra is very beautiful and it's the one I own. Here's the link for the CD set on the Tower Records website. Enjoy :-).

http://www.towerreco...sp?pfid=1105160

#5 Ann

Ann

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 January 2002 - 06:24 PM

Is it just me? I have always thought that Prokofiev must have been in a very gloomy mood when he composed the score for Cinderella - I find it almost sinister, and quite unsuitable
for a sugar-spun fairy story like Cinderella.

But there you go - it's all down to personal taste again.

#6 Miss

Miss

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 January 2002 - 07:15 AM

ok, most of the scenario involves child abuse and loneliness! It is a dark story until the end.

I LOVE the strike of midnight music. It sends chills up my spine.

Miss

#7 Guest_Vonnie_*

Guest_Vonnie_*

Posted 16 January 2002 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for the helpful info~!! biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):