This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Modern Dance Company Survival Rates Since the 70s

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 sandik

sandik

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,212 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:52 AM

How fun to see this thread come back to the surface!

I didn't mean to imply that there was no Graham technique, just that Graham herself didn't want to make one.  She developed the movement principals, in the process of created her repertory.  She didn't really want to make a technique so much as she was compelled to find the way she thought she should dance, and, when she began to work with other dancers, she had to communicate those ideas and teach that material.  It gradually became something like a technique, especially after she started participating in workshops like the Connecticut College summers (that became the ADF).  Some of her early dancers (like May O'Donnell) were also integral to that process.

Think about it in contrast to someone like Doris Humphrey, who set out to make a complete technique, separate from ballet, but equal to it in its comprehensive nature.  That's the tradition that Limon was first trained in, and it forms the bedrock of what we think of as Limon technique today.

(I miss Murray Louis's work too, and Alwin Nikolais.  Those repertories seem to be slipping away even faster than the Limon and Graham works)

#32 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:17 PM

(I miss Murray Louis's work too, and Alwin Nikolais.  Those repertories seem to be slipping away even faster than the Limon and Graham works)

I saw the Ririe-Woodbury company perform a full program of Nikolais works in February 2007.  Looking at the Ririe-Woodbury site now, though, I don't see that they are performing any Nikolais works in 2014-15.

I would put both the Louis and Nikolais works in the defunct or near defunct categories.  Comparatively, the Limon and Graham works are still readily available.  (How well anyone can dance the Graham works without Graham in them will forever be a matter of debate, though.)

#33 sandik

sandik

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,212 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:00 PM

I know that the Nikolais and Louis alumni still communicate, and I hold out hope for more stagings of the work, but yes, I noticed that Ririe-Woodbury weren't doing anything from that rep this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):