This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Charlie Haden of the Ornette Coleman Quartet has died at age 76. I am no more than the most casual of jazz fans and so have little to say from my own knowledge but by happenstance I came across his album of spirtuals with Hank Jones, "Steal Away" and "Come Sunday," both of which I recommend with urgency (especially the first). RIP.

by happenstance I came across his album of spirtuals with Hank Jones, "Steal Away" and "Come Sunday," both of which I recommend with urgency (especially the first).

Aren't those wonderful?! I was fortunate to hear Charlie play a few times, twice with Ornette. My wife, who can't stand 20 seconds of free jazz, is always getting me to play those CDs. And then there's that old-time country record he did with his daughters a few years back, hearkening back to childhood when his family had a daily radio show in Iowa. He had a lot of range, even in his jazz work, and also, it seems, a lot of heart. RIP.

Thanks, kfw. Like Mrs. kfw, I find free jazz not-easy to follow, but I just love "Steal Away." I did not know about the country record. Here's the Times obit.

Charles Edward Haden was born in Shenandoah, Iowa, on Aug. 6, 1937, into a brood of musicians called the Haden Family. Prominent on the Midwestern country circuit in the ’30s and ’40s, the Haden Family had a radio show, on which Mr. Haden made frequent appearances as a yodeling toddler known as Cowboy Charlie.