This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Charlie Haden, RIP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,861 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

Charlie Haden of the Ornette Coleman Quartet has died at age 76. I am no more than the most casual of jazz fans and so have little to say from my own knowledge but by happenstance I came across his album of spirtuals with Hank Jones, "Steal Away" and "Come Sunday," both of which I recommend with urgency (especially the first). RIP.

#2 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,513 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

I'm also partial to their "Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child."

Rest in peace, Mr. Haden.

#3 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

by happenstance I came across his album of spirtuals with Hank Jones, "Steal Away" and "Come Sunday," both of which I recommend with urgency (especially the first).

Aren't those wonderful?! I was fortunate to hear Charlie play a few times, twice with Ornette. My wife, who can't stand 20 seconds of free jazz, is always getting me to play those CDs. And then there's that old-time country record he did with his daughters a few years back, hearkening back to childhood when his family had a daily radio show in Iowa. He had a lot of range, even in his jazz work, and also, it seems, a lot of heart. RIP.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 27,861 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:07 PM

Thanks, kfw. Like Mrs. kfw, I find free jazz not-easy to follow, but I just love "Steal Away." I did not know about the country record. Here's the Times obit.

Charles Edward Haden was born in Shenandoah, Iowa, on Aug. 6, 1937, into a brood of musicians called the Haden Family. Prominent on the Midwestern country circuit in the ’30s and ’40s, the Haden Family had a radio show, on which Mr. Haden made frequent appearances as a yodeling toddler known as Cowboy Charlie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):