This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Charlie Haden, RIP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,516 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

Charlie Haden of the Ornette Coleman Quartet has died at age 76. I am no more than the most casual of jazz fans and so have little to say from my own knowledge but by happenstance I came across his album of spirtuals with Hank Jones, "Steal Away" and "Come Sunday," both of which I recommend with urgency (especially the first). RIP.

#2 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

I'm also partial to their "Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child."

Rest in peace, Mr. Haden.

#3 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

by happenstance I came across his album of spirtuals with Hank Jones, "Steal Away" and "Come Sunday," both of which I recommend with urgency (especially the first).

Aren't those wonderful?! I was fortunate to hear Charlie play a few times, twice with Ornette. My wife, who can't stand 20 seconds of free jazz, is always getting me to play those CDs. And then there's that old-time country record he did with his daughters a few years back, hearkening back to childhood when his family had a daily radio show in Iowa. He had a lot of range, even in his jazz work, and also, it seems, a lot of heart. RIP.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,516 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:07 PM

Thanks, kfw. Like Mrs. kfw, I find free jazz not-easy to follow, but I just love "Steal Away." I did not know about the country record. Here's the Times obit.

Charles Edward Haden was born in Shenandoah, Iowa, on Aug. 6, 1937, into a brood of musicians called the Haden Family. Prominent on the Midwestern country circuit in the ’30s and ’40s, the Haden Family had a radio show, on which Mr. Haden made frequent appearances as a yodeling toddler known as Cowboy Charlie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):