This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Music

There is an alleged complete Paquita out there in CD format, but I'm having trouble hunting it down. It seems to be on a rather obscure label (Qualiton?), and I may have to contact the record company directly in order to get it. I'll keep you posted.

There's also a fine version of the Grand Pas available as the second featured work with the Shades scene from Bayadére! Check Amazon.

My company performed Paquita this past spring and my director had a very hard time finding the music. We do not perform our Spring performance with an orchestra, and finding a CD with the right tempo was next to immpossible. Especially my variation---the one with the jetes and arabesque/attitude pirouetes. the recording he had originally was WAY too fast. I'm sorry but I don't remember whare he ended up finding the one we used in performance.

That sounds like the variation I did :) We did it in 8th grade (I went to a performing Arts school) and I am led to believe we borrowed the music from the high school. I asked my ballet teacher about it my freshman year, and she said that the choreography was that of a teacher that left the previous year and I think he took the recordings with him. I think they might have even been recordings from our school's orchestra, because that is what we always used for The Nutcracker...

OK, Andrei and the other Paquita-sleuths, here's what I have so far:

There is a recording of the Grand Pas by Boris Spassov conducting the Sofia National Opera Orchestra on Capriccio CD #10544. It is paired with the Shades scene from Bayaderka, with performance cuts and repeats and tempo changes in the variations.

The one I'm trying to get is by G.G. Zhemchuzhin conducting the Bolshoi Theater Orchestra on Esta/Supraphon CD #4(!) I don't know if it's the whole thing or just the whole last act, as it is paired with selections from Sleeping Beauty, so I'll just have to find a way to the distributor and find out.

Dumb question...

This is on video (Kirov with Zelensky, Makhalina. etc.) so can't the sound just be taken off the video? Perhaps the quality is not good enough for performance, I don't know, but I do recall simply lending my video to someone and they took the music off it (it was not for public performance).....

I have been thnking that I should be able to take the music from my Paquita DVD and transfer the variation my daughter wants to dance, onto CD. At least as a practice CD, until I find a recording of the CD. How would I do that? I can follow directions, but I am not computer "Wiz"!