This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Thursday, July 10

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,713 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

Reports on Nicolas Le Riche's farewell performance.

The New York Times

Mr. Le Riche is also the youngest of the group of Paris Opera étoiles who were picked as future stars by Rudolf Nureyev, who cast him in the title role of “Romeo and Juliet” when he was just 19. His departure from the company severs that last link to an era, and the palpable nostalgia in the audience on Wednesday was not just for the dancer, but for a period in its history too. (That was commemorated after the performance, when Ms. Filippetti bestowed the title of Commandeur des Arts et des Lettres on Mr. Le Riche.)

The Telegraph

He chose the programme, and it became a night forged in his image, passionate and warm, rooted in the classical tradition but voyaging beyond it. It began quietly with Le Riche emerging from the darkness and dancing, thoughtfully, to a pensive little song played on guitar by Matthieu Chedid. As he moved, relaxed and graceful, he revealed in miniature all the qualities that have made him such an outstanding dancer, his purity of line and technique, his open-heartedness, his presence.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,713 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:02 AM

"Home to Havana," an online section of The Sarasota Herald-Tribune devoted to Carrie Seidman's and photographer Elaine Litherland's  visit to Cuba with dancers Ariel Serrano and Wilmian Hernandez. Video, text, photos, etc.

From the darkened wings of Havana’s National Theater Ariel Serrano stares toward the brightly-lit stage, where the finalists in the XII Concurso Internacional para Jóvenes Estudiantes de Ballet, an international ballet competition for aspiring student dancers, are awaiting the announcement of the medal winners.

Seated among them is his 17-year-old son, Francisco, the only American ever to participate in the April event. With a long and lean ballet body, a conversational grasp of Spanish and the curly, black hair and cafe con leche coloring of his heritage, he seamlessly blends in with the other dancers, who are all from Cuba or Mexico.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,713 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

Q&A with Guillaume Côté and Elena Lobsanova.

What do you enjoy or find challenging about Alexei Ratmansky's choreography?

GC: Ratmansky's production is an incredible technical feat. As Romeo, I'm onstage for most of the production, which is challenging, but it helps that Ratmansky has created some of the most beautiful and expressive choreography that I've ever had the pleasure to dance. ...... The production requires an incredible amount of dedication from everyone onstage, and I love the way Ratmansky stays away from traditional mime and uses dance to tell the entire story.

EL: I love Ratmansky’s imaginative interpretations and the range of freedom that his choreography gives me technically and artistically. When I created the role for the world premiere in 2011, Guillaume and I hadn’t partnered together before, and it was challenging because I like to work at a pace that allows me to nail my technique and then layer the artistic elements into the choreography. ......

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,713 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:00 AM

A review of New York City Ballet by Jay Rogoff in The Saratogian.

New York City Ballet soloist Justin Peck surely felt proud Wednesday: he was named the company’s new resident choreographer, and that night at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center the Saratoga premiere of his new ballet, “Everywhere We Go,” showed why.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,713 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

A review of American Ballet Theatre's season by Robert Gottlieb in The New York Observer.

For Bayadère, ABT imported three very impressive Russian dancers, making up for some of that iconic ballet’s longueurs. (A friend of mine, who went to six performances, has figured out just which passages he can safely sleep through.) The very young and very beautiful Olga Smirnova, who had triumphantly danced the “Diamonds” section of Jewels in a performance broadcast from the Bolshoi, was completely gripping from first to last. She has the quintessential ballerina look—the black hair, the exquisite neck, the pliant arms and back—and she has a ballerina’s innate command and instinctual response to music and situation. (She’ll be dancing here with the Bolshoi later this month.) Viktoria Tereshkina, whom I had found somewhat coarse when she danced here with the Kirov several years ago, has refined her approach and revealed extraordinary appeal and authority. And Vladimir Shklyarov, her partner, is simply the most brilliant young danseur noble we’ve seen in a long time. Virile and romantic, he’s as fine a Solor as anyone since Baryshnikov.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,713 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:58 PM

A review of the John Cranko School of Ballet by Ilona Landgraf in her blog, "Landgraf on Dance."

Courageous as the Stuttgart students are, they started the matinee with Balanchine's “Allegro Brillante”. Kudos to the four couples from the Academy Classes – you did well! Two ex-Cranko students, now part of the Stuttgart ensemble, guested as the leading couple: Constantine Allen, a 2012 graduate who ascended like a rocket through the ranks – he' ll be first soloist from next season on -, and Ruiqi Yang, a two-year corps member. Both seemed to spur on the young ones whose pep and drive kept escalating. It was interesting to see how two or three years of further honing shape a dancer: how much more power becomes focused and each individual gains confidence - plus a clear, distinctive line.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,713 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

A Voice of Russia feature on "Spartacus." 

“Spartacus is a crucial ballet in my career. To dance the part of Spartacus I left the Mariinsky Theatre in Saint Petersburg and moved to Moscow. Once I saw this ballet at the Bolshoi and was so impressed that decided to try and get this role there. I did a lot to achieve my goal and join the troupe at the Bolshoi,” Mikhail Lobukhin said.

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,713 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:17 AM

Plans are afoot for a "Center Stage 3."

Based on the fact the new film is returning to the scene of the original, and the fact that many of the original’s stars are now readily available for work (that movie starred Amanda Schull, Ethan Stiefel, Sascha Radetsky, Christine and Dunham), it’s no surprise to hear Laurence Mark Productions and Stage 6 Films are eyeing a theatrical release for the new instalment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):