This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Monday, July 7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,770 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:57 AM

American Ballet Theatre announces the schedule for its 75th anniversary season.

The programs for the run at the Koch, which the company announced on Monday, will include the world premiere of an unnamed new work by the enterprising young choreographer Liam Scarlett, as well as a new production of “Raymonda Divertissements,” staged by Kevin McKenzie and Irina Kolpakova, after Marius Petipa’s choreography, with music from Glazunov’s opera. 

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,770 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:58 AM

Boston Ballet is the beneficiary of a local sale at Neiman Marcus.

Elbows up fellow fashionistas — it’s seasonal markdown time at stores across the city. One sale in particular caught my eye, as it supports the Boston Ballet. As part of “The Heart of Neiman Marcus,” the retailer’s national campaign supporting arts organizations, Neiman Marcus Boston is giving folks first look access to its famous Last Call sale, which starts Wednesday.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,770 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

Ballet Latino de San Antonio makes its debut this weekend.

She's [founder Mayra Worthen] also excited to have well-known Peruvian-born, Miami-based choreographer Jimmy Gamonet de los Heros as artistic adviser and collaborator.

His work “Salon Tropical” is part of the Carver show. Originally commissioned by the prestigious Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival more than 20 years ago, “Salon” fits perfectly into Worthen's vision by marrying ballet vocabulary to Latin elements in a structured, neoclassical choreography.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,770 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:06 AM

Pix of Robert Fairchild and Leanne Cope dancing around Paris.

In anticipation of the new Broadway-bound production, the pair jetted to the City of Light to take part in a promotional photo shoot, during which they literally danced around Paris. While their clothing is contemporary, the musical, directed and choreographed by Christopher Wheeldon and designed by Tony winner Bob Crowley, will be set in the same post-World War II era as the film.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,770 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:12 AM

A review of the Stanislavsky Ballet in "Manon" by Laura Cappelle in The Financial Times.

Polunin was replaced by a guest artist from the Royal Danish Ballet, Alban Lendorf. His sturdy build doesn’t lend itself naturally to “white tights” roles, as the princes and naïfs of the repertoire are referred to, but his is a rare talent, nurtured in the subtle Danish ballet tradition. His first variation, an almost instant declaration of love to Manon, was presented with more finesse than the Royal Ballet men demonstrated in June; his partnering is mostly light and assured, though he occasionally blends into the corps de ballet.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,770 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

Carrie Seidman joins some ballet students on a trip to Cuba.

As for the ballet, I saw several student performances and was buoyed by what I saw both on the stage and in the house. Unlike the U.S., ballet in Cuba is not an elitist activity. Tickets are a pittance, there’s no need to dress up and if you are moved to applaud something spectacular before the end of a musical movement – and there are lots of opportunities to do so – feel free. After a student performance at the Teatro Nacionale, where the national company is performing during a renovation of its home theater, the aisles looked like a post-game baseball stadium, strewn with snack wrappers and debris.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,770 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

A  Voice of Russia preview of the Bolshoi Ballet's New York engagement. Audio.

In an exclusive interview with Radio VR the Lincoln Center Festival Director Nigel Redden explained why these performances are highly anticipated by the US audience…

“I think there is a huge excitement about the Bolshoi coming back to New York. It’s been many, many years since the company’s opera was heard in New York and ten years or so since the company’s ballet was here. And there has been great interest since the Bolshoi is one of the greatest ballet and opera companies in the world. And I think the people are very curious to see how it is doing now,” Nigel Redden said.

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,770 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:37 AM

A former ballet student writes about her unhappy experience with weight and ballet.

My weight had been a topic of discussion since day one in the ballet studio. It was made very clear to me that my already very distinctly feminine hip-to-waist ratio was not exactly desirable for a ballerina and the cloud of horror that was my impending puberty was soon casting its long shadow. But the roller coaster of verbal abuse and the gradual destruction of every ounce of self-confidence I’ve ever had were just about to begin.

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,770 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:40 PM

Q&A with Melissa Toogood.

What companies were you considering joining? 

I was really interested in the Lyon Opera Ballet, partially because it’s a repertory company. There’s more range in the work you get to do. I was really interested in Maguy Marin; they also have a number of Cunningham pieces in their rep, and I was still not done exploring Merce’s work.

Did you audition?

No. They were open to me coming and taking class, and I was fortunate that I had a really good recommendation from Cédric [Andrieux, a former Cunningham dancer who went on to join the Lyon Opera Ballet], but they were clear that they needed me to put my pointe shoes on. I wasn’t prepared to do that. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):