This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Coppelia

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 MRR

MRR

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:36 PM

...in the final act Yuriko rotated the direction of her fouettes.  (She also did this when she played Kitri a few years ago.)  I think that's called a four corner turn, but I'm not sure.  Not many people attempt it because it is very difficult, and I'm not sure if most of the audience even understood what they were seeing.

She did something beyond that, though, too.  She did fouettes without the fouette -- where the working leg wasn't even working (whipping).  What was that?!  The propulsion was coming completely from the standing leg.  I don't know that I've ever seen anything like that.

You mean her turns similar to the a la seconde turns the men do?

#17 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:41 PM

Per the instagrams of several ABT dancers, it appears as if Jared Matthews and Yuriko Kajiya recently got engaged. So congrats to the happy couple in the new phase of their careers.

How wonderful! 

#18 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:19 PM

She did something beyond that, though, too.  She did fouettes without the fouette -- where the working leg wasn't even working (whipping).  What was that?!  The propulsion was coming completely from the standing leg.  I don't know that I've ever seen anything like that.

You mean her turns similar to the a la seconde turns the men do?

Not exactly -- see fondoffouette's description and accompanying YouTube video toward the bottom of page 1 of this thread.  

#19 Silks

Silks

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:26 AM

I went to Yuriko's last performance as well, and it made me so sad!  She was absolutely radiant, and really demonstrated her technical mastery.  Lots of great acting moments as well.  So sorry to see her go.  I was glad to see that she had so many well-wishers in the audience and had a nice send-off.  

Joseph Gorak looked great, too.  Got a couple of laughs on his comedic bits, which spoke for his acting ability.  He was very chivalrous towards Yuriko, urging her to take solo bows when she wanted to pull him with her to take bows.

All in all a lovely performance; sad we won't get to see it again.

#20 Golden Idol

Golden Idol

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

I just saw some photos on another website of Saturday night's perf. Did Gillian replace Paloma (who is still listed on ABT's site)? She's seen in the pix taking her bows with Jared.

#21 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:30 AM

I just saw some photos on another website of Saturday night's perf. Did Gillian replace Paloma (who is still listed on ABT's site)? She's seen in the pix taking her bows with Jared.

Could the photos have been from the earlier performance with Jared and Gillian?  The NYT review of this weekends performances listed Paloma as having danced.

#22 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:43 AM

Gillian and Jared danced Coppelia together earlier in the run a few weeks ago.  Those must be old photos you are looking at.

#23 Golden Idol

Golden Idol

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

Yes, must've been old photos mixed in with the Sascha farewell pix. Thank you abatt and nanushka.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):