This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Gerald Finley Awarded the Order of Canada

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/chris-hadfield-joins-order-of-canada

(Scroll)

Baritone Gerald Finley has been awarded the Order of Canada:

Gerald Finley, O.C., Mark Cross, Crowborough, U.K. and Montréal. For his achievements as an internationally renowned opera singer and cultural ambassador for our nation.

So has Rick Mercer:

Richard Vincent Mercer, O.C., Toronto. For his ability to inspire and challenge Canadians through humour, and for his leadership in support of charitable causes.

Companions of the Order of Canada from the arts:

David Cronenberg, C.C., O.Ont., Toronto. For his unflagging contributions to Canadian film as a cinematic icon who has cemented his place within the world’s top echelon of filmmakers.

Members of the Order of Canada from the arts:

James. W. Borcoman, C.M., Ottawa. For his pioneering contributions to the art of photography and for his promotion of contemporary Canadian photographers.

Earlaine Collins, C.M., Toronto. For her efforts as a volunteer and philanthropist who supports cultural institutions and emerging artists.

Eleanor Collins, C.M., Surrey, B.C. For her pioneering achievements as a jazz vocalist, and for breaking down barriers and fostering race relations in the mid-20th century.

Victor Davies, C.M., Toronto. For broadening the appeal of contemporary Canadian music and for supporting the legal rights of Canada’s composers.

Denise Desautels, C.M., Montréal. For her contributions to Quebec literature and to the development of literary life as a poet.

François Dompierre, C.M., Sutton, Que. For his contributions to music as a composer who is known in particular for his film compositions.

Jean Giguère, C.M., Winnipeg. For her voluntary service in promoting the arts and Canadian culture.

Antony Holland, C.M., Gabriola Island, B.C. For his achievements as an actor and teacher, notably for founding Langara College’s Studio 58 to cultivate the next generation of Canadian performers.

Guy Gavriel Kay, C.M., Toronto. For his contributions to the field of speculative fiction as an internationally celebrated author.

Jack Long, C.M., Toronto. For his engagement as a pioneer in Canada’s music retail industry who is committed to musicians, customers and employees across the country.

Carol Martin, C.M., Thomasburg, Ont. For her contributions to the development of the Canadian independent publishing industry, notably as a founding member of the Association of Canadian Publishers.

James Armstrong Munro, C.M., Victoria. For his vital championship of countless Canadian writers and for his sustained community engagement as an independent bookseller.

Alexander Peter Pauk, C.M., Toronto. For his contributions to the development of contemporary Canadian orchestral music and for his promotion of Canada’s composers.

Denise Robert, C.M., Montréal. For her role in asserting and helping to develop Quebec cinema as one of the most respected producers in Canada.

Karl Siegler, C.M., Powell River, B.C. For his tireless promotion of Canada’s small publishing houses and for his efforts to safeguard their interests and welfare.

René Simard, C.M., Lorraine, Que. For his contributions to the development of Quebec culture as a performer, host and director.

Alan Robert Twigg, C.M., Vancouver, B.C. For his countless contributions to the promotion of British Columbian literature and publishing.

Fawn Wilson White, C.M., Rome, Italy and Saint John, N.B. For her contributions to promoting Canadian arts and culture, notably by creating performance and exhibition opportunities for Canadian artists abroad.

flowers.gif to them all and Happy Canada Day!

Congratulations to all, but especially to Gerald Finely, who is truly an exceptional artist. I was lucky enough to hear him sing Schubert's Die Winterreise in February, and it was the most musical, most emotionally charged performance of that work that I've ever heard, hands down. His wrenching performance as Golaud in Debussy's Pelléas et Mélisande a few years ago at the Met had me in tears.

If you ever have a chance to see him perform, just go.

It is such a privilege to see him live. I missed his "Winterreise" due to my own stupidity: I showed up at the hall with wonderful acoustics only to figure out from the lack of people near the theater (it was a fogged-in night) that he was performing in a smaller, acoustically challenged (for music) hall too far to get to in time.

He's recorded the cycle recently, and although it's never the same as hearing a singer live, the recording is available on CD and through iTunes.

It is such a privilege to see him live. I missed his "Winterreise" due to my own stupidity: I showed up at the hall with wonderful acoustics only to figure out from the lack of people near the theater (it was a fogged-in night) that he was performing in a smaller, acoustically challenged (for music) hall too far to get to in time.

He's recorded the cycle recently, and although it's never the same as hearing a singer live, the recording is available on CD and through iTunes.

AARRGHHH! I've done that myself. I've shown up at the wrong hall, or on the wrong date, or with the wrong tickets, the whole gamut. Not only do you mourn the missed performance, you feel like an idiot, too.

The CD is in my shopping cart even as we speak. For Finley, I'll spring for physical media ...

His Hans Sachs was one of the greatest performances I've ever seen, I actually had difficulty stifling my sobs in the scene where he unites the young lovers and faces up to his own loneliness. That performance is available on DVD, buy it, and if you are not a Wagner fan, Mr Finley will convert you. I would also recommend his CD of songs by Ravel, for me his voice isn't just about musicianship, but about the depth of emotion and sincerity he brings to everything he does.