2015 Met Season (Wish Lists and Predictions)

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#31 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:44 PM

All I want is an evening performance of SL and Bayadere for Veronika (she deserves it!), a Sarah Lane SB, and a Giselle for Stella.

Agree completely!

My wish list (in addition to the above):

Lane and Gorak to do opening night of Ratmansky's SB.

The Bright Stream

Paquita

Romeo and Juliet (Lane/Gorak = dream casting)

More mixed bill performances (with Tharp)

Much fewer guest artists than this year

More/continued soloist/principal casting for corps and soloists dancers

Any wishes/speculations on what Herrera will dance for her retirement performance?  I could see her doing Don Q or SL.  If they do Romeo/Juliet, that could be an option too.

#32 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

Julie Kent is an interesting case.  Her salary is high but there are few roles for her.  I'd really hate for ABT to do Merry Widow to give her something to do.  Of course I'm not a fan of the big story ballets.  Time for her to coach?  Is it totally up to her? 

#33 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:49 PM

Is it totally up to her [Julie Kent]?

That's a loaded question with a very loaded answer.  Don't forget her husband is the Assoc AD, so her situation is probably unlike any others nearing retirement.

#34 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:29 PM

Is it totally up to her [Julie Kent]?

That's a loaded question with a very loaded answer.  Don't forget her husband is the Assoc AD, so her situation is probably unlike any others nearing retirement.I know

I know it is a loaded question, but there comes a point in which difficult questions have to be answered.  How much union protection is there?

#35 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:55 PM

That's a good question. Anyone know?

#36 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

Gorak and Lane as Romeo and Juliet sounds good on paper, but I'm not sure Gorak can handle that difficult partnering at this time.  Lane for Juliet, definitiely.

#37 MJ

MJ

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:31 PM

The fall season will be at the Koch Theater (the former State Theater), after the NYCB season and before the Mikhailovsky season.

Interesting. Has ABT ever performed at the Koch-State Theater before? I guess Mr. B is on the repertoire.

With the demise of the NYC Opera, the Koch theater has become the world's best stage for dance.

#38 spinning2night

spinning2night

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:37 PM

i'd love to see R&J and The Bright Stream back on the program. I think pushing more mixed bill performances will help ABT transition through roster changes as well as keeping audiences interested. I'm always more Tharp and other repertory works that are quintessentially ABT...and I kind of selfishly want The Dream again just because I couldn't catch it this year, and I've been waiting for a chance to catch it! Regardless, there are enough versatile dancers at ABT that greater variety in programing will allow more individual dancers to be showcased.

I would ABSOLUTELY love to see Paloma retire with Don Q. It's the role most people think of when you mention her. I know it's easy to point out that Herrera never quite developed as much artistically as she could have considering her amazing physical talents, but to think that she can STILL dance the role of Kitri 2 decades after her bring the younger ever principal at ABT -- I can't think for a better way for her to retire! That being said, who then will be her Basilio? (We can hope for Marcelo, but it's been a while since they've danced together...although, I suppose she has some say in this, right?)

Side note, can ABT afford to put Don Q so late in the Met season with its limited roster and potential injuries/casting changes? It will be interesting to see how the company approaches scheduling next year, they have to play it safe, but there are never guarantees...I always found it remarkable that the 2012 season was scheduled the way it was...Swan Lake in the second to last week for Angel, and Le Corsaire in the final week for Ethan's farewell (but if I'm not mistaken they did 2 half-week runs for some of the classics that year to minimize the risk...it'll be interesting to see if they employ that method more going forward). There were some raised eyebrows when that schedule came out -- as it didn't seem the most intelligent, and I was definitely crossing my fingers in hopes of the season ending with a flourish in the best imaginable way for two of ABT's most recognizable principals. I'd like to see it end that way for Paloma too!

#39 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:34 PM

Swan Lake, same old production but act 4 will be restaged with the complete act 4 score restored
Bayadere, new production restaged by Makarova with 32 shades and act 2 divertissements(drum dance, water jug, parrots and all) restored
Sleeping Beauty as announced
Paquitta, co-production with Bavarian State Ballet
Ashton Cinderella
Raymonda, staged by Sergei Vikharev, borrowed from La Scala as part of the package deal with the new Beauty. La Scala gets the new Beauty DVD and HD broadcast rights while ABT can borrow its Raymonda, not that ABT has any plans for DVD or HD broadcast.
Othello, Les Sylphides, T&V...etc.

#40 Batsuchan

Batsuchan

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:37 PM

Swan Lake, same old production but act 4 will be restaged with the complete act 4 score restored
Bayadere, new production restaged by Makarova with 32 shades and act 2 divertissements(drum dance, water jug, parrots and all) restored
Ashton Cinderella
Raymonda, staged by Sergei Vikharev, borrowed from La Scala as part of the package deal with the new Beauty. La Scala gets the new Beauty DVD and HD broadcast rights while ABT can borrow its Raymonda, not that ABT has any plans for DVD or HD broadcast.

WOW!  Very interesting!  So many new productions!  I guess it is the 75th anniversary...

When you say Othello, do you mean the full-length?  Or the "Moor's Pavane" as part of a mixed bill?

#41 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

Ashton Cinderella

WOW! WOW!

#42 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:12 PM

Where is the source for these information? Or is this a wish list?

#43 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:13 PM

Where is the source for these information? Or is this a wish list?

#44 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:14 PM

It's a wish list.  A spectacular wish list.

(I've changed the title.)

#45 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:29 PM

The fall season will be at the Koch Theater (the former State Theater), after the NYCB season and before the Mikhailovsky season.

Interesting. Has ABT ever performed at the Koch-State Theater before? I guess Mr. B is on the repertoire.

With the demise of the NYC Opera, the Koch theater has become the world's best stage for dance.

ABT performed at the Koch in Fall 2013...but they have also danced there in the (more distant) past--I saw them at the State Theater ca. 1970...but I'm sure they danced there other seasons as well even if not that frequently.

I was delighted to learn the Fall seasons were moving to the State (Koch) theater; I had been skipping trips to NY during their fall seasons, but came up in 2013 mostly because of the repertory but also because of the venue.

Mussel's wish list is indeed spectacular.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):