This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

2015 Met Season (Wish Lists and Predictions)

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#16 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:45 AM

The difficult Petipa ballets like SL and SB are now, I believe, outside Vishneva's comfort zone.  I don't believe we will see her do those roles again. .

#17 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:57 AM

You are not a lone voice on this.  I very much enjoyed Smironova, Shkylarov, Tereshkina and Cojocaru and hope that they return. I'd be surprised if the offered Cojocaru another SL though.  It just doesn't seem to be int he cards for Alina to do that role at the Met.

I'm thinking they might revive Merry Widow for Kent's benefit.

As her retirement performance?

#18 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:01 AM

No.  Not for her retirement. Because there are very few roles Kent can still perform.  The Merry Widow is an easy role that she can perform twice in one week. 

#19 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:04 AM

Ashton's Rhapsody and Les  Patineurs would be great for Cornejo and Gorak.

#20 spinning2night

spinning2night

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:06 AM

All I want is an evening performance of SL and Bayadere for Veronika (she deserves it!), a Sarah Lane SB, and a Giselle for Stella.

#21 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:08 AM

No.  Not for her retirement. Because there are very few roles Kent can still perform.  The Merry Widow is an easy role that she can perform twice in one week. 

Why retire when you can go on dancing a handful of nights each season and making $187k per year?

#22 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:22 AM

Why retire when you can go on dancing a handful of nights each season and making $187k per year

Playbill lists her as one of the company teachers this season.

#23 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:22 AM

Bingo.  You hit the nail on the head, nanushka.   

#24 MarzipanShepherdess

MarzipanShepherdess

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

The difficult Petipa ballets like SL and SB are now, I believe, outside Vishneva's comfort zone.  I don't believe we will see her do those roles again. .

I thought perhaps Diana just disdained the current ABT productions of these works as much as I do.  ;)

But what you say makes sense, sadly!

#25 MJ

MJ

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:11 AM

Where will the Fall season be? Will there be a fall season? City Center has lousy sight lines, but is a nice stage. 

#26 RUKen

RUKen

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:18 AM

The fall season will be at the Koch Theater (the former State Theater), after the NYCB season and before the Mikhailovsky season.

#27 Batsuchan

Batsuchan

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:42 PM

I thought perhaps Diana just disdained the current ABT productions of these works as much as I do.  ;)

But what you say makes sense, sadly!

I think it is a bit of both. Those ballets are probably technically challenging for her now (or rather, it is challenging for her to perform the classics up to her standard, as I can't imagine her ever omitting the hard stuff or marking the steps a la Kent/Cojocaru), but also that she doesn't like the ABT productions, so it's not worth the effort.

I think there's a possibility she might do Ratmansky's SB, since they seem to have a good relationship, and she seems to like to do his ballets (she's dancing his "Psyche" this weekend at POB, then his "Cinderella" in London, and she did "Lost Illusions" at Bolshoi earlier this year).  I guess it will depend how much he changes the traditional choreography.  

Also, I think she'd only do it if she can dance with Gomes.  Ratmanksy has used Gomes as the male lead in the premiere of all his ballets for ABT ("On the Dnieper," "The Bright Stream," "Firebird," "Tempest," and arguably "Nutcracker" too).  Would Ratmansky cast Vishneva & Gomes as the opening cast?  My feeling is that Ratmansky might go for a "home-team" ballerina or an up-and-comer instead...

Why retire when you can go on dancing a handful of nights each season and making $187k per year?

Yeah, I don't think Kent will retire next year.  I have a feeling she'll wait for her 30th anniversary in 2016.

What do we think Herrera will do for her farewell performance next year?

As for my wish list--I would absolutely love to see Vishneva/Gomes do "Manon" again, but I'm pretty sure it won't be back, sadly.  In that case, I'm going to wish for "Lady of the Camellias" again, though I have a feeling that may never be back in the repertory.  I'd gladly take that over "Onegin."  (Or if not, I know it's in the Bolshoi rep now, so maybe Vishneva/Gomes will get to dance it there, as they did with "Onegin." And hopefully we'll get some videos.)

I second the calls for Abrera in "Giselle" or "Swan Lake"!

This might be kind of odd, but I'm kind of curious to see Bolle & Cojocaru in "Romeo & Juliet" (I know they've danced it together at La Scala).  She always seems like the perfect Juliet, and he the perfect Romeo, so I'd love to see them together!

#28 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:51 PM

Not the Don Q Ratmansky set on Het Nationale & PNB?

#29 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,464 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:57 PM

It's a great production.

#30 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:51 PM

It's a great production.

That it is.  The stage is very full of action, but it doesn't seem out of control.  And the style doesn't break in the new material.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):