• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

I feel if Sylvie Guillem didn't want her performance live-streamed, for whatever reason, that is her right as a performer and she should not be reproached for lack of generosity or anything else.

#32 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

It's still not completely clear whether the refusal came from her. It just seems to be the likeliest explanation given her reputation as "Mlle Non."

#33 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

I guess I'm really old now -- I'm still gobsmacked when we can watch even a part of an event like this online.

#34 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:30 PM

I think we should be clamoring for more! Right now ballet streams are lagging behind opera streams, while live streams of classical music concerts are presented every few days. Of course filming ballet is a more complex operation, but Arte has already established partnerships with the Théâtre de Chaillot and the Musée du quai Branly and streams dance performances from those venues fairly regularly. It would be nice if Arte would venture into opera houses to film ballets, as well as operas. The closest it comes to this at present is in the filming of performances by the Ballet du Grand Théâtre de Genève, which is closer to a modern dance company.

#35 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

I have a feeling that, at least in the US, there are the same kind of union/copyright/contract issues involved in live streaming that there are in the manufacture of DVDs.

#36 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

No, I don't hold out much hope for U.S. streams either. The only American institution that is really active in that regard is the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, which found sponsors to help them do it: "Live from Orchestra Hall webcasts are presented by the Ford Motor Company Fund and made possible by generous support from The John S. and James L. Knight Foundation." I don’t know what sort of deal they’ve made with their players, but most, though not all, of the music they stream is in the public domain.

http://www.dso.org/live.aspx

#37 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,214 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

Le Riche gave an interview to "Kommersant," and Ismene Brown wrote an introduction/commentary and translated the article for her blog:

http://www.ismeneb.c...ting_shots.html

It's a very interesting read.

#38 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

Le Riche gave an interview to "Kommersant," and Ismene Brown wrote an introduction/commentary and translated the article for her blog:

http://www.ismeneb.c...ting_shots.html

It's a very interesting read.

Yes, definitely worth checking out. It is thought-provoking.

#39 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

I was very touched by his sense of responsibility to the field, and the idea that artists who are educated by an institution might owe some time to that institution after they are done performing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):