This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Nicolas Le Riche's Farewell

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

Unfortunately, I wasn't able get the stream until after the first two pieces ("Les Forains" [Entrée des Forains] and "Le Bal des cadets" [Solo du petit tambour]) and I have no idea what Guillem did.  (I assume Chedid sang something, if he was involved.)

This was a spectacular program to honor a treasured dancer.  I would buy the DVD in an instant.

#17 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:24 PM

Guillem just walked out during the final curtain call -- in a loose lime green blouse, black capri leggings, and white sneakers. There wasn't the traditional bouquet presentation by other etoiles, and blink and you missed Clairemarie Osta and their kids. In fact overall I thought the farewell was a bit cold and lacking in feeling.

I thought for a farewell program it was kind of fluffy and lacking in substance. I liked Le Jeunne Homme de Mort but Bolero's so overdone and cheesy. And the earlier excerpts were really short. 

#18 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:45 PM

Osta walked off to the side (or offstage) right away, but their two girls stayed on for several minutes of the ovation until he sent them back to Osta.

I found the gala full of feeling, especially with the men of the company joining him for "Bolero" which has to be one of the most fun ways to end a gala, cheese or no cheese, and the company clapping along from backstage along with the audience during all of his solo bows.  Not everything has to be serious.

I think it was great to have the big three of the choreographers from the latter half of the 20th century who were so associated with the company:  Nureyev, Bejart, and Petit.

#19 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

Dorothée Gilbert certainly seemed to be crying copious tears, and it was lovely to see Claude Bessy right at the end.

#20 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

and it was lovely to see Claude Bessy right at the end

Thanks for confirming that was Bessy at the end.

#21 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

I think if Guillem hadn't gone over to start hugging Bessy, Le Riche might have lost it there and then.

#22 Amour

Amour

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

Guillem just walked out during the final curtain call -- in a loose lime green blouse, black capri leggings, and white sneakers.

I heard from friends that attended the gala that Guillem and Le Riche did perform a mats Ek piece but for some reason it wasn't streamed.

#23 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:35 PM

I also read from tweets that apparently the people who bought HD movie theater tickets got to see the duet, but it was cut from the livestream at Guillem's request. 

#24 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:36 PM

All of the reviews described it, but none of the critics I've read said why.  Maybe someday one of those involved will say why on record.

#25 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:44 PM

Whose tweets said it was cut by Guillem's request?

#26 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:45 PM

All of the reviews described it, but none of the critics I've read said why.  Maybe someday one of those involved will say why on record.

I'm a bit disappointed that Guillem made this request. If this was her own gala then I could totally understand it, but this was a gala for her colleague and the livestream was for his many fans (and her fans too). 

#27 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:49 PM

RT @philippenoisett Pas de Guillem sur Arte suite au refus de la dame. Mais on a pu voir le duo avec Nico au cinema!

This is a French dance news twitter.

https://twitter.com/dansomanie

Philippe Noisette is a dance critic:

https://twitter.com/philippenoisett

he recently did an interview with Mathilde Froustey:

http://www.parismatc...au-Monde-574946

#28 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

Official news (with citation) is what we like to see.

All of the people who bought tickets to the theater and the cinema got to see the entire thing.  It was great to be able to see even part of the event live-streamed and for arte to make it available for the next few months on demand, and while I would rather have seen the Guillem/Le Riche pas, thinking about it in the cold light of day, if it was important enough to Le Riche for her to appear, he was willing to meet her conditions, and management agreed to the whole thing, then I don't see what the problem is. 

The entire Richard Strauss concert from Dresden, for example, isn't available online, either. Several parts went unaired (and the announcer talked over some of the orchestral intros...)

#29 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:19 PM

In this article Jann Parry writes this,

http://dancetabs.com...ell-gala-paris/

It was a pity that Guillem apparently refused to allow it to be streamed live as part of the spectacle transmitted to cinemas and electronic screens for spectators outside the Palais Garnier.

#30 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:24 AM

The entire Richard Strauss concert from Dresden, for example, isn't available online, either. Several parts went unaired (and the announcer talked over some of the orchestral intros...)

If part of a concert is excised, it's usually because the soloist's record label won't allow his/her performances to be streamed free of charge. For better or worse, that's an issue dancers don't face.

In response to numerous questions on the Le Riche stream page, Arte's Matthieu answers repeatedly that the company did not have the rights to stream the 'Apartment' duet online, but he does not specify whether the refusal came from Guillem, Ek or Fleshquartet. Clearly they wanted to stream it because Guillem is touted as a special guest in the program description.

Initially the gala came in for criticism because it was going to be seen only by a relatively small audience or bigwigs and VIPs. Then the POB made a very democratic gesture by making it available to anyone with access to the internet. So it's sort of a shame that one particular segment was shunted back into the elite company of the few. It was a discordant note in an evening that was otherwise characterized by marked generosity from Le Riche himself and his fellow étoiles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):