This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nicolas Le Riche's Farewell

All of the reviews described it, but none of the critics I've read said why. Maybe someday one of those involved will say why on record.

I'm a bit disappointed that Guillem made this request. If this was her own gala then I could totally understand it, but this was a gala for her colleague and the livestream was for his many fans (and her fans too).

RT @philippenoisett Pas de Guillem sur Arte suite au refus de la dame. Mais on a pu voir le duo avec Nico au cinema!

This is a French dance news twitter.

https://twitter.com/dansomanie

Philippe Noisette is a dance critic:

https://twitter.com/philippenoisett

he recently did an interview with Mathilde Froustey:

http://www.parismatch.com/Culture/Spectacles/Mathilde-Froustey-l-aventuriere-du-Nouveau-Monde-574946

Official news (with citation) is what we like to see.

All of the people who bought tickets to the theater and the cinema got to see the entire thing. It was great to be able to see even part of the event live-streamed and for arte to make it available for the next few months on demand, and while I would rather have seen the Guillem/Le Riche pas, thinking about it in the cold light of day, if it was important enough to Le Riche for her to appear, he was willing to meet her conditions, and management agreed to the whole thing, then I don't see what the problem is.

The entire Richard Strauss concert from Dresden, for example, isn't available online, either. Several parts went unaired (and the announcer talked over some of the orchestral intros...)

The entire Richard Strauss concert from Dresden, for example, isn't available online, either. Several parts went unaired (and the announcer talked over some of the orchestral intros...)

If part of a concert is excised, it's usually because the soloist's record label won't allow his/her performances to be streamed free of charge. For better or worse, that's an issue dancers don't face.

In response to numerous questions on the Le Riche stream page, Arte's Matthieu answers repeatedly that the company did not have the rights to stream the 'Apartment' duet online, but he does not specify whether the refusal came from Guillem, Ek or Fleshquartet. Clearly they wanted to stream it because Guillem is touted as a special guest in the program description.

Initially the gala came in for criticism because it was going to be seen only by a relatively small audience or bigwigs and VIPs. Then the POB made a very democratic gesture by making it available to anyone with access to the internet. So it's sort of a shame that one particular segment was shunted back into the elite company of the few. It was a discordant note in an evening that was otherwise characterized by marked generosity from Le Riche himself and his fellow étoiles.

I think we should be clamoring for more! Right now ballet streams are lagging behind opera streams, while live streams of classical music concerts are presented every few days. Of course filming ballet is a more complex operation, but Arte has already established partnerships with the Théâtre de Chaillot and the Musée du quai Branly and streams dance performances from those venues fairly regularly. It would be nice if Arte would venture into opera houses to film ballets, as well as operas. The closest it comes to this at present is in the filming of performances by the Ballet du Grand Théâtre de Genève, which is closer to a modern dance company.

No, I don't hold out much hope for U.S. streams either. The only American institution that is really active in that regard is the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, which found sponsors to help them do it: "Live from Orchestra Hall webcasts are presented by the Ford Motor Company Fund and made possible by generous support from The John S. and James L. Knight Foundation." I don’t know what sort of deal they’ve made with their players, but most, though not all, of the music they stream is in the public domain.

http://www.dso.org/live.aspx

For Francophones: Nicolas Le Riche recently gave a lengthy television interview in which he discussed his career past and present. In the second half of the interview he was joined by iconographer Hélène Bléré, at which point the conversation took on more theological themes (KTO being the TV network of the Archdiocese of Paris), especially about the body and incarnation.