This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Angel Corella 2014

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Golden Idol

Golden Idol

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:12 AM

Does anyone know what Corella is up to these days after the demise of his company in Spain?

#2 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,473 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

According to this article from 8 June, Corella said,

I’m going abroad. I can­not say what plane I will catch, but it’s clear that I’m not stay­ing. I turned down the pos­sib­il­ity to dir­ect the New Zea­l­and bal­let com­pany because it would have been too dif­fi­cult to see my fam­ily, but now I’ve decided I’m going elsewhere.

#3 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:04 PM

He will be in Hartford, CT for the month of July, directing Hartt's summer intemsive. Perhaps we will hear something.

#4 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,473 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

NZ Ballet just tweeted:

Completely incorrect. Corella never applied or offered job. 4 brilliant candidates shortlisted. Process still underway.

#5 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:58 PM

Angel has been at the University of Hartford- Hartt School Community Division's "From Studio to Stage" program since June 30th.  He has been teaching, coaching, and setting the full-length "Don Quixote" on the students there (who were accepted into the program through national auditions, and later auditions for the parts they hold.)  The students range in age from pre-teen to college age. The final performances will be on July 26th at the University. 

I have been filming the rehearsals and coaching sessions as a 'coda' to my documentary film about the creation of Corella (Barcelona) Ballet.  You can still view the trailer to the film here: www.dancemedia.com/v/1528.  Meanwhile, since financial difficulties prevented my working on the film for over a year, I am still trying to raise the funds to finish it. 

I am glad that here and elsewhere in the world, they still know and appreciate Angel's skill and artistry.  The later it gets, the more trouble I have convincing the documentary film funders (who seem fixated on films about the same subjects-"save the planet/environment/children or social justice" year after year)  that ballet matters, and trying to create a company in a country that doesn't support its artists mattered too. 

Till then, the joy of being able to watch and film Angel at work with these young dancers is something I will always remember and cherish - especially since I don't have to travel 7000 miles to do it.

#6 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:46 AM

Looking forward to the end product!!!

#7 kbarber

kbarber

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:27 AM

lovely trailer 4mrdncr. Do you have an indiegogo or kickstarter campaign to finish financing your film? I would happily promote it on my website if so.

#8 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

"Pennsylvania Ballet Trustees Appoint Ángel Corella as Artistic Director"

http://philadelphiad...istic-director/

(posted at Balletco)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):