• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#31 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:55 AM

ABT has back up performers for the lead roles waiting in the audience or backstage in the event the lead performers cannot continue.  The show must go on.  It is part of their assigned schedule from ABT. So Hee Seo did not coincidentally happen to be nearby and  available to perform.  It was part of her job as the understudy for O/O on Monday evening.  She was very lucky that Gomes was her partner.  In lesser hands the evening very well might have been a disaster.

The theory that Hallberg is replaced because he's too tired after his extra Giselle doesn't seem plausible.  Why would they give the performance to Gomes, someone who just performed on Monday and is now - justifiably - even more tired than Hallberg.

Of course ABT has back-up performers and Seo would have been in the theatre, but, she would not have been sitting backstage in full stage make-up for SL with her hair done and have been already warmed up ready to jump onstage.  

Who knows the reason for the Hallberg replacement tomorrow night, but Gomes has already proved himself to be more capable than any other male dancer in the company so I can definitely see him able to dance another SL so soon but not Hallberg.

#32 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:02 AM

One year Veronika Part was a "Big Swan" but had an issue (illness injury) during the performnace.  She exited and suddenly a different Big Swan came out in full makeup and costume and finished her role.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if the understudys have to sit backstage in costume and makeup at the ready.

#33 RUKen

RUKen

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

California wrote (quote function still not working for me):  Was anyone at the open rehearsal Monday afternoon?  Bolle sent out a re-tweet that Bolle and Seo were substituting at the last minute in the Act II rehearsal for Hallberg and Semionova.  That all happened, of course, before the Murphy injury Monday night.  So, that opens up different possibilities -- e.g., that Hallberg just didn't feel ready for SL with Polina (or vice versa).

I was at the dress rehearsal.  The change was announced just before the curtain rose, with no explanation given. 

#34 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

ABT has back up performers for the lead roles waiting in the audience or backstage in the event the lead performers cannot continue.  The show must go on.  It is part of their assigned schedule from ABT. So Hee Seo did not coincidentally happen to be nearby and  available to perform.  It was part of her job as the understudy for O/O on Monday evening.  She was very lucky that Gomes was her partner.  In lesser hands the evening very well might have been a disaster.

The theory that Hallberg is replaced because he's too tired after his extra Giselle doesn't seem plausible.  Why would they give the performance to Gomes, someone who just performed on Monday and is now - justifiably - even more tired than Hallberg.

Abatt, Does ABT have a third cast on their ballets who are rehearsed with the  1st and 2nd cast during the rehearsal period ?  Someone who can take over if the 1st 2 casts can't perform.

#35 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:22 AM

One year Veronika Part was a "Big Swan" but had an issue (illness injury) during the performnace.  She exited and suddenly a different Big Swan came out in full makeup and costume and finished her role.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if the understudys have to sit backstage in costume and makeup at the ready.

Are the "Big Swans" costumed differently than the other swans?  Could it perhaps just have been one of the swan corps stepping in?

It seems impossible to imagine that there could be a whole slew of costumed and warmed-up understudies down to and including a "Big Swan" hanging out backstage during every performance.  If there's a "Big Swan," that means there'd be not only a Siegfried, O/O and Rothbart, but also (presumably) a whole Pas de Trois ensemble and perhaps even others.  Really?

#36 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

California wrote (quote function still not working for me):  Was anyone at the open rehearsal Monday afternoon?  Bolle sent out a re-tweet that Bolle and Seo were substituting at the last minute in the Act II rehearsal for Hallberg and Semionova.  That all happened, of course, before the Murphy injury Monday night.  So, that opens up different possibilities -- e.g., that Hallberg just didn't feel ready for SL with Polina (or vice versa).

I was at the dress rehearsal.  The change was announced just before the curtain rose, with no explanation given. 

Interesting.  Semionova and  Hallberg have done SL together before at least twice.. 

I don't think they have an understudy for the understudy.  If the lead understudy were to get hurt, I think McKenzie would have to come out and tell some jokes for the remainder of the show.yucky.gif

#37 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:33 AM

Big Swans are costumed the same as the rest of the corps.  It could very well have been another corps dancer stepping in.  Or the one understudy who was costumed in a corps costume who was ready to go (that seems more likely).

#38 Golden Idol

Golden Idol

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

If nanushka liked Hee's balance, I'm glad. I won't be there on Saturday evening (conflict w/Boston Ballet), but if she tries it again, after being properly warmed up, I hope she makes it, and with full strength. I think it may still be a work in progress, and if she can really master it, do it securely, it will make her Black Swan even more exciting. And, by the way, just as Caballe's famous pianissimos were the high water mark for that effect, I do think Cojocaru's balances are likewise. Perhaps not the "standard"--she's exceptional in this regard.

#39 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

I'm assuming McKenzie gets paid a royalty every time SL is performed at ABT because the program lists him as the choreographer, even though a lot of it is directly from Petipa.  He's laughing all the way to the bank, while fantastic dancers leave the company because there is no money for promotions. .

It's an interesting conflict of interest.  Can one make innovative artistic decisions for one's company if one is benefitting financially from the (perhaps mediocre) status quo?

#40 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

I think when the production is bad, they dump it as soon as possible (as soon as finances are available for a new production)  it even if McKenzie is listed as the choreographer.  Isn't McKenzie the choreographer of the ABT SB?  They are dumping that for a new Ratmansky sB next season. 

#41 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:43 PM

It's an interesting conflict of interest.  Can one make innovative artistic decisions for one's company if one is benefitting financially from the (perhaps mediocre) status quo?

Funny -- the first thing I thought of was NYCB and all those Martins ballets!

PS: I have a lot of trouble editing those quotes!

#42 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:55 PM

I think when the production is bad, they dump it as soon as possible (as soon as finances are available for a new production)  it even if McKenzie is listed as the choreographer.  Isn't McKenzie the choreographer of the ABT SB?  They are dumping that for a new Ratmansky sB next season. 

I didn't mean to imply that the artistic side would never win out.  Just that it's a perhaps innate tension, and one I'd never thought of before.

#43 Silks

Silks

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:06 PM

I'm assuming McKenzie gets paid a royalty every time SL is performed at ABT because the program lists him as the choreographer, even though a lot of it is directly from Petipa.  He's laughing all the way to the bank, while fantastic dancers leave the company because there is no money for promotions. .

Okay, but every ballet company has AD-created pieces, so it's not fair to point at McKenzie in particular on this.  (And if you look at AD salaries, McKenzie makes a lot less total than many other ADs, including Martins, Tomassan, and Nissinen.)  I'm not sure if one gets royalties on what are essentially public domain works.

#44 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:26 PM

Okay, but every ballet company has AD-created pieces, so it's not fair to point at McKenzie in particular on this.  (And if you look at AD salaries, McKenzie makes a lot less total than many other ADs, including Martins, Tomassan, and Nissinen.)  I'm not sure if one gets royalties on what are essentially public domain works.

That's what I meant when I described it as "a perhaps innate tension."  I never commented on McKenzie in particular.  It's an interesting conflict of interest that seems particular to dance companies.  (Opera companies, for instance, would not generally have ADs earning royalties on productions.)

I wonder if it's at all common for ADs to forgo royalties for performances at their home company during their tenure.

#45 Amour

Amour

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:08 PM

No Gelsey Kirkland and her husband (Michael Chernov?) have full responsibility for ABT's current SB. Apparently, Kevin has hated from the get go (me,too). Very happy to see Ratmansky will do the new one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):