This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Friday, June 20

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,738 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:18 PM

Jayson Pescasio of Ballet San Antonio does not advance to the semifinals at the USA IBC.

Pescasio danced in the first round of the competition, which is being held in Jackson, Mississippi.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,738 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

Rex Harrington and his fiance join "Amazing Race Canada."

As it is, he says he gets recognized more often for being a judge on "So You Think You Can Dance Canada" than for his dancing career. Those familiar with his witty, pointed presence there or on social media -- he recently, for instance, unleashed an expletive-laden Twitter tirade upon Usher for wearing a fur hat on "The Voice" -- won't be surprised that an Officer of the Order of Canada and ballet dancer could be so cheeky and blunt.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,738 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:48 AM

An NPR interview with Gil Boggs on sending some of his dancers to the USA International Ballet Competition.  Audio & text.

CPR: How has the coaching gone so far?

Gil Boggs: Great. Emily has been very receptive. These are young kids. It’s a great learning experience for all dancers. Competitions aren’t for everyone. Very few are going to succeed at them. But, if you go for the experience, you’re going to see dancers from all around the world. You can learn from them.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,738 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:50 AM

The Mick 'n' Melanie story hits Page Six.

Mick Jagger’s new girlfriend, ballerina Melanie Hamrick, is in trouble with her bosses at American Ballet Theater because she called in sick when she went to visit the wrinkly rocker in Zurich, Switzerland, earlier this month.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,738 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:52 AM

A review of Hong Kong Ballet by Janine Campbell in The Boston Globe.

In its second visit to Jacob’s Pillow, the Hong Kong Ballet opens the celebrated dance festival’s season with a striking, cosmopolitan program that reflects the company’s diverse makeup. Under the expert leadership of Madeleine Onne, the group seems even more of a cohesive unit since its 2012 Pillow debut, and a number of individuals boasting generous artistry and technical prowess bathe the company in a warm glow.

Ken Ross' review in The Republican.

Subtle, powerful, eclectic - these words best describe the three pieces performed Thursday night by the Hong Kong Ballet at Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival.

But if I had to pick just one phrase that best characterizes this modern ballet company, which performs through Sunday at the Pillow, it would be austere beauty.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,738 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

A Forbes piece about "smart giving" by Richard Morais. Video clip of Jacob's Pillow.

For a family who loves the arts, a $5,000 donation gives one of the most promising young dancers in the world an experience that will help launch his or her career at the highest levels of the dance world, simply by leveraging a modest sum of charitable dollars off the infrastructure built by Jacob’s Pillow. That, in my book, is as smart and ­efficient a way that there is to make a philanthropic gift with real ­impact—and based on what I saw, some smart American families clearly ­already get it.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,738 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:59 AM

A review of the Perm Theatre of Opera and Ballet in "Nosferatu" by Susan Moore in The Financial Times.

n the 1920s and 1930s, the Perm Theatre of Opera and Ballet in the Urals was renowned as an experimental theatre for the Soviet avant-garde. This month has seen a return to those roots, with the world premiere of Dmitry Kurlyandsky’s Nosferatu. As one might expect from this resolutely radical composer, this is no conventional opera. Nosferatu could perhaps more accurately be described as sound-and-art installation and performance piece, a Gesamtkunstwerk bringing together voice, orchestra, ritual theatre, imagery and dance.

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,738 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:06 AM

An anonymous donor pledges a matching gift to Alabama Ballet. (Cannot link to article - for some reason the page has repeatedly frozen on me.)

The funds go toward the ballet's dance education program, which serves more than 15,000 students through free and low-cost programs throughout the year. More than $30,000 a year is awarded in scholarships to the programs, and more than 10,000 free tickets are provided to education performances, reaching more than 100 school systems.

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,738 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:09 AM

A preview of the Birmingham Royal Ballet in "La Fille Mal Gardee." 

A firm favourite for all the family, ballet aficionados and first-time attendees to a ballet, La Fille mal Gardee promises to delight audiences in Nottingham when it is performed by Birmingham Royal Ballet for the first time ever at the Theatre Royal.

#10 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,738 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:15 AM

Photo gallery of Leanne Sexton and Monica Loughman of the Monica Loughman Ballet.

Monica Loughman and Leanne Sexton pose for photographs at the National Concert Hall in Dublin.

#11 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,738 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

A story on "host families" at the USA IBC by Sherry Lucas in The Clarion-Ledger.

About 100 host families are involved in the 2014 USA IBC, covering dancers and jury members with an in-town contact for support and needs, said Annerin Long, who co-chairs the committee with Glynn Hankins and Bobbye Strickland. Dancers reside in a Belhaven University dormitory during the IBC, and jurors at a hotel.

“They check in regularly and go to their performances,” Long said. “They take flowers or balloons when they’re performing for the dancer so they’ll know there’s someone out there pulling for them.”

#12 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,738 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:17 PM

The National Centre for Stage Costumes in Moulins, France, presents an exhibition of Shakespearean costumes.

The show runs until early January at the museum, about a three-hour train ride from Paris. Opened in 2006 in a restored 18th-century cavalry, the Centre bills itself as the world’s only venue dedicated to the heritage of live entertainment, with more than 8,000 costumes and accessories, including a permanent exhibition dedicated to the late ballet icon Rudolf Nureyev of items donatedby the Nureyev Foundation

#13 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,738 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:23 PM

Lauren Cuthbertson talks to The Guardian about preparing for and coming down from a performance.

This was a huge night for the company. We'd had a tough half-season – everyone had been really pushing themselves – and this was the final show before our mid-season holiday. I was a bit broken, to be honest. I'd struggled with my legs for a few days; I just couldn't feel them activating like I needed them to. But by the day of this performance, I was starting to feel better. What I'm feeling just before the performance is relief. I just want to get out there and dance.

#14 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,738 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:28 PM

The Prague Proms gets underway.

Daria Klimentová, a Czech prima ballerina at the Royal Ballet in London’s Covent Garden will perform with Vadim Muntagirov at Obecní dům on July 12.  Violinist Eldbjørg Hemsing will play along with the CNSO as well. Selections range from Swan Lake to Gounod’s  Romeo and Juliet.

#15 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,738 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:29 PM

Q&A with Amir Sanders of "So You Think You Can Dance."

What’s your favorite dance style?

My favorite is contemporary ballet but  I’ve also done tap, jazz, hip-hop and African. However, my main focus is ballet.

What made you want to audition for "SYTYCD"?

wanted to audition since the show came out, but I wasn't confident enough. I’d look up audition info and knew when it was  happening, but I’d never go. I decided to audition after a teacher of mine, Francesca Harper, changed my whole outlook as a dancer. She said I have something to offer no matter if it’s different; she gave me confidence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):